Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
You aren't going to find many Christian men who are pro choice
Actually, a pretty significant number of Christians are pro choice. Some entire denominations (such as Presbyterians, Episcopalians and ELCA, which is the largest branch of Lutherans) are officially pro-choice. Others, such as Catholics, have a majority of members who are pro-choice (65% of American Catholics in a 2008 survey) even though the church officially opposes it. It's primarily the fundamentalist/evangelical Christians who are not pro choice.

I don't want to derail the thread here, but couldn't let such a blatantly false statement slip by without responding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusStrip View Post
I don't quite follow the logic of this question but for starters, there's no alimony in Texas and second, you are not "stuck" with child support. You are that child's father and you have an obligation to your child and any man who views it as being "stuck" is not a man I'd want anything to do with.
Doesn't matter if there is alimony in Texas or not. It is hypothetical question.

I am just showing you the other side of the coin. What I did was showing you a man in your situation. Short is equivalent to you being overweight. Alimony and child support is equal to you having two children. Fit and young is equal to your tall and successful requirement, childless and educated is childless and educated and atheist republican is equivalent to your Christian Democrat. So,

Do you think a short man stuck with alimony and child support is likely to get a fit educated young childless woman who is an atheist republican?

Old 07-03-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Personally I think you need to stop with the criteria. You are missing out on a lot of great guys by eliminating them if they don't rank up. Go out meet people, roll with it , if you meet someone and theirs a hint of a spark.. but doesn't match your "list" go with it for a while see what happens.
^This

Taking this approach was the best thing that ever happened to my dating life. Approach each person as a whole and unique person you are getting to know rather than a criteria checklist. It can really open up your world.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
lilyflower, I just could not go there. A man who would vote for Romney? A man who would vote for a McCain/Palin ticket? A man who values the unborn but once a child is born, he'd better pull himself up by his bootstraps and not rely on the government to fill his stomach? :\ I could not do it.
I agree that I could never date someone with those values. It does sound like getting out of Texas would help, though a metro the size of DFW should have progressive people.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 AM

511 posts, read 838,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
So if he cant support your children, but can support himself then that's fine?
Is he a success in his career? Is he a bright man? Then sure. Unintelligent men and men who flounder career-wise into their 40s and 50s...neither is very attractive to me. I would date a nurse, yes, though of course I'd prefer if by this point in his life he had the drive and intellect to be a nurse practitioner. A home health care worker? I don't think so.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:26 AM

805 posts, read 1,558,794 times
Quote:
They talk about having a dad. They NEVER talk about having siblings and have no desire for more. I never said I would rule out a guy with kids though. It's simply a preference. Maybe I am wrong but my son simply seems too vulnerable.
In NICU the docs call the male babies "wimpy boys" because they are less likely to survive (all things equal) than the girl babies.
A vulnerable boy won't fare well in this world. Keep that in mind.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:28 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Quote:
Is he a success in his career? Is he a bright man? Then sure. Unintelligent men and men who flounder career-wise into their 40s and 50s...neither is very attractive to me. I would date a nurse, yes, though of course I'd prefer if by this point in his life he had the drive and intellect to be a nurse practitioner. A home health care worker? I don't think so.
Hmmm, I would think you would be more attracted to someone who has demonstrated ability to care for others to the point of making a career out of it (passion not money). Especially with a son like yours.

Guess the $$$ is what is more important.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Let's see. I suffer from postpartum post-traumatic stress disorder and am only now seeking help. That's pretty hot, isn't it?
Whatever you do, continue with your treatment. Therapy can help you change how you view the world in general, which can change how you view dating and relationships for the better.

Quote:
The kids! What guy doesn't want four year old twins?

I'm overweight. I think all guys want this, yes?

See? I have just gotten started and already you can see what a catch I am.
It's probably not realistic to demand a guy not have young children when you have young children yourself, or demand that he have certain physical attributes (like height) when you're lacking certain physical attributes yourself. I thought your checklist seemed unrealistic even before I saw these things, but now it does even more so.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:31 AM

511 posts, read 838,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Actually, a pretty significant number of Christians are pro choice. Some entire denominations (such as Presbyterians, Episcopalians and ELCA, which is the largest branch of Lutherans) are officially pro-choice. Others, such as Catholics, have a majority of members who are pro-choice (65% of American Catholics in a 2008 survey) even though the church officially opposes it. It's primarily the fundamentalist/evangelical Christians who are not pro choice.

I don't want to derail the thread here, but couldn't let such a blatantly false statement slip by without responding.

I actually am not pro-choice or exactly pro-life (such stupid terms). I am a fence sitter. My thought is, if you are going to kill your unborn baby, at least do it in the first trimester and preferably the earlier part of that. Do it when there is some hope that the life you are ripping apart does not feel great pain as you do so. I think it is always wrong to abort your child but sometimes you are comparing two wrongs, not choosing between wrong and right.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:31 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
That's quite a laundry list. The thing is, you may well find a guy who meets all of those criteria, but the odds that he is all of those things and someone you have a chemistry and mutual attraction with are quite slim. I'd focus more on finding someone you hit it off with, and worry less about the checklist.
IMO, the OP is more concerned about a guy having money and succesful than anything else.

What I don't understand is how a thread like this can have over 250 responces. Darn, and I just contributed. Of all the issues and whatnot on this thread, and THIS one gets high traffic? It's kind of like hitting you head against the wall trying to rationalize with this woman. Not going to get very far. I say everyone tell her that her expectations are realistic.

That way she rejects every guy that approaches her, and she stays out of the dating world. That is pretty much win/win for everyone. Especially for the poor sap that approaches her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships