Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 05:56 AM

663 posts, read 778,468 times

Advertisements

Have they changed? If so, how have they changed? e.g. at age 21 vs age 31 vs age 41 etc?

And please indicate if you are a guy or girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 06:16 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Male. Basic requirements remains, but the level of commitment has changed.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:43 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
I would think that MOST people would say yes. I cannot imagine anyone that would not have changed, or grown, from 10, 20, or 30 years ago.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Female. In my 20's it was about his car he drove.
In my 30's still like a nice cars but as long as its clean and runs well I'm fine with any.

Not looking for the hotty with the body like I was in my 20's.

I liked the jerks. Now I like the itellectuals.

Manners didn't matter. Now they are a must.

Didn't mind men that couldn't hold a conversation. Now a must.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:04 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,821 times
Most people change. I just hate when people act like the things they require or value you now they did in their teens

Old 07-08-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Female. In my 20's it was about his car he drove.
In my 30's still like a nice cars but as long as its clean and runs well I'm fine with any.

Not looking for the hotty with the body like I was in my 20's.

I liked the jerks. Now I like the itellectuals.

Manners didn't matter. Now they are a must.

Didn't mind men that couldn't hold a conversation. Now a must.
Can you elaborate on liking the jerks vs liking the itellectuals?

What did you consider a jerk and why did you like them when you were younger?

Old 07-08-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Can you elaborate on liking the jerks vs liking the itellectuals?

What did you consider a jerk and why did you like them when you were younger?
I could have said the same thing. But clearly, we weren't looking for jerks then. We just didn't know enough to be able to tell the difference. Now we can. I think this is the case for most gals. WHen you are young, you aren't looking for the most respectable, or the most likely to succeed...or that sort of thing. You are just looking for fun. We all grow (well, hopefully!). And with growth, comes change, and the recognition that we want more than just a cute face, or a good dancer, or whatever.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I could have said the same thing. But clearly, we weren't looking for jerks then. We just didn't know enough to be able to tell the difference. Now we can. I think this is the case for most gals. WHen you are young, you aren't looking for the most respectable, or the most likely to succeed...or that sort of thing. You are just looking for fun. We all grow (well, hopefully!). And with growth, comes change, and the recognition that we want more than just a cute face, or a good dancer, or whatever.
So to simplify things, when you were in your 20s, you were looking for the football stud, the popular frat guy, the guy who was the life of the party, and the guy who had got all the ladies and slept with a different lady every night and you still wanted a piece of that, correct?

Now, in your 30s, you are looking for that nerdy guy with glasses, might not be the most athletic looking guy, might not be the most popular guy out of high school/college, but has been studying all night in school and now has a reputable career, sizable downpayment on a home, and holds a good conversation.

Is that pretty much it?

Old 07-08-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
So to simplify things, when you were in your 20s, you were looking for the football stud, the popular frat guy, the guy who had got all the ladies and slept with a different every night and you still wanted a piece of that, correct?

Now, in your 30s, you are looking for that nerdy guy with glasses, might not be the most athletic looking guy, but has a reputable career, sizable downpayment on a home, and holds a good conversation.

Is that pretty much it?
No. Not al all. We all have our different ideas of "fun". And "wanting a piece of that" was not what I would call it. Good grief. I personally loved to dance...still do. I would always get interested in guys that could dance well. And of course, the cute guys....we all love the cute guys, who doesn't? I enjoyed the beach.....so I liked hanging out with the lifeguards. I would never EVER have wanted someone "that got all the ladies and slept with a different one every night". No girl wants that.

A "sizable down payment on a home" was not ever something I was looking for. Puuuleeez. I had a great job, and bought my own home at 27. Someone that knows what he wants to do in life, and goes after is. Someone that is emotionally secure, mature - is cognizant of the things going on around him and in the world, able to handle his finances without help from mom and dad, not living off a credit card. Someone that actually respects education. A guy that knows how to speak without using the f-bomb every other word, or "you know" every other phrase.

This is pretty simple. What are you really after here?

Last edited by ChessieMom; 07-08-2013 at 07:28 AM..

Old 07-08-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No. We all have our different ideas of "fun". And "wanting a piece of that" was not what I would call it. Good grief. I personally loved to dance...still do. I would always get interested in guys that could dance well. And of course, the cute guys....we all love the cute guys, who doesn't? I enjoyed the beach.....so I liked hanging out with the lifeguards. I would never EVER have wanted someone "that got all the ladies and slept with a different one every night".

Well, can you elaborate on liking the "jerks" vs "intellectuals", which was the original statement I Was trying to understand?

So guys who can dance are jerks? I don't get it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships