Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,265 times

Advertisements

My husband put a child up for adoption nearly 8 years ago. He and his girlfriend at the time were not ready for a child. I have a son that I adopted 8 years ago. I have a very hard time with the fact that my husband didn't accept responsibility for his child, since he was not very young at the time (25). He is still best friends with his old girlfriend, and we get pictures of his son several times a year. We now have a 2 year old daughter together. I guess, my question is, does anyone have any tips on how I can look at this situation and feel better about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 05:00 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
You were not in your husband's shoes 8 years ago. You now have a child together so he's obviously good enough to be in a relationship with you and for you to have a child with. I suggest you let the past be the past and concentrate on what you have now. Dwelling on something like that is very counter productive in my opinion.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:07 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
You were fine with it before you got married?

Fuggedaboudit.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:07 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,903 times
Your husband and his ex were adult enough to realize that they couldn't provide the life they believed their child deserved and unselfishly gave their child LIFE and to people who were probably ecstatic to have a child. I'm almost 34 and have pondered the same thing: If I found myself pregnant right now, would I keep the child or give it up for adoption to someone who could do a better job?

I admire your husband for not running from the situation and coercing his girlfriend into an abortion, which I've seen happen by men older than 25. Had your husband not acted selflessly, someone would not be a happy parent right now. Had someone else not acted selflessly, you wouldn't have the child you adopted. Look at the strength in his character. I'm sure it wasn't easy for him to give up that child, but he did it. Admire that instead of choosing to see him as selfish because I assure you it's not selfish to give up a child you know you can't provide for.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:08 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyConflicted View Post
My husband put a child up for adoption nearly 8 years ago. He and his girlfriend at the time were not ready for a child. I have a son that I adopted 8 years ago. I have a very hard time with the fact that my husband didn't accept responsibility for his child, since he was not very young at the time (25). He is still best friends with his old girlfriend, and we get pictures of his son several times a year. We now have a 2 year old daughter together. I guess, my question is, does anyone have any tips on how I can look at this situation and feel better about it?
Can you clarify, you said he put his son up for adoption and he gets pics of the child. Was it an open adoption?

Also, you said he didn't accept the responsibility, but he did. Sometimes the best thing to do for a child is to give that child the best chance in life. If he didn't feel like he could do that, then he was acting responsibly by giving the child up for adoption. You said you get pictures of the child several times a year. Is the child happy, thriving, well-cared for, loved? He may not have felt like he and his ex could provide that for the child. The fact that they made the VERY difficult decision to put the child up for adoption speaks volumes to me.

Maybe if you look at it from that perspective it will help? Don't compare your life and decisions to his. You are 2 different people.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:09 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
Your husband and his ex were adult enough to realize that they couldn't provide the life they believed their child deserved and unselfishly gave their child LIFE and to people who were probably ecstatic to have a child. I'm almost 34 and have pondered the same thing: If I found myself pregnant right now, would I keep the child or give it up for adoption to someone who could do a better job?

I admire your husband for not running from the situation and coercing his girlfriend into an abortion, which I've seen happen by men older than 25. Had your husband not acted selflessly, someone would not be a happy parent right now. Had someone else not acted selflessly, you wouldn't have the child you adopted. Look at the strength in his character. I'm sure it wasn't easy for him to give up that child, but he did it. Admire that instead of choosing to see him as selfish because I assure you it's not selfish to give up a child you know you can't provide for.
By the way, I've had friends who've had abortions because they "couldn't bear to part with their child through adoption." Somehow, ending the child's life was easier.

Hmm...I meant to edit, not quote myself!

Old 07-08-2013, 05:10 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
hmmm....wondering why you didn't deal with your "conflicted feelings" before you married him, and especially before you had a child with him?

What is bringing this to the surface NOW?

Old 07-08-2013, 05:20 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Not very young at the time? Trust me, the amount of 25 year old guys who are actually anywhere near ready to take on the responsibility is not high. I'm 25 right now and still live like a college freshman. 25 is still young.

I have no idea what can make you feel better at this stage. This is definitely you should have dealt with BEFORE marrying and reproducing with him.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:47 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What is bringing this to the surface NOW?
I, too, am wondering.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:52 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
1. He could have asked the old girlfriend to abort the child, he did not. He gave the child a chance to find better parents at the time. I am not pro choice or pro life, but I think he did a very responsible thing for the child. I don't think you or anybody have any right to hold his past against him. That is not fair.

2. He learned his lesson and he is now a good responsible father to your daughter. (I am assuming this is the case)

Let it go. Everybody has a past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships