Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:22 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times

Advertisements

Good posting, thanks for sharing. I agree though, the heckling that teenaged boys get from their friends to "get laid, get some", are almost akin to what girls experience dating or hooking up with these guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 10:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
We teach all our kids how important and sacred sex is. Not something to give up or offer lightly. I would hope that they respect themselves and protect their virtue. We teach them that sex is an important part of the marriage relationship.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:17 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I would only ask, rhetorically, if since you believe that religion is harmful to humanity's mental health, could not also prematurely-taken ... SEX... between 2 young adults also be potentially mentally-harmful?
First, and for the last, sex and intimacy are not the same. I think the likelihood of harm is very low if true intimacy is occurring. Intimacy involves caring. But yes, sex can lead to pain and even harm. So can riding a bicycle.

Quote:
For example, religious beliefs aside, if you hypothetically had a young-adult daughter who was intimate before she was emotionally-ready, and if she came crying to you, and in emotional pain and hurting from doing so before she was really ready, how would that make you feel as a parent? For instance, would you comfort her, tell her you loved her, and that nothing could ever make you love her less? That is the easy part -- but if you had a choice between telling her in advance "Honey, no one's going to judge you or look down on you, if you share that kind of intimacy when the right person comes along and you love them very much", vs. "Honey, you can do anything as long as you observe the right safety and protection measures", which one do you think has the greater potential practical ability to prevent her from being hurt or heartbroken? Or, to put it another way, would you prefer to be proactive or reactive, regarding her feelings?
It is not my job to prevent him OR her from pain. If one of my kids' feelings get hurt, I will feel bad for them. And they will learn.

I am not sure what magic cure marriage is to any of these risks, btw.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Undoubtedly. But some young people simply know no better, and assume that society gives them no other realistic choice, than to marry much older than vs. past historical precedent.
If your children are making their choices based on what "society" tells them then you have already failed in your role of educator with your children.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
We teach all our kids how important and sacred sex is. Not something to give up or offer lightly. I would hope that they respect themselves and protect their virtue. We teach them that sex is an important part of the marriage relationship.

I wonder if you have read any of this woman's stuff that was linked in the article?

The “Purity Culture”

Old 07-29-2013, 07:48 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
First, and for the last, sex and intimacy are not the same. I think the likelihood of harm is very low if true intimacy is occurring. Intimacy involves caring. But yes, sex can lead to pain and even harm. So can riding a bicycle.

It is not my job to prevent him OR her from pain. If one of my kids' feelings get hurt, I will feel bad for them. And they will learn.

I am not sure what magic cure marriage is to any of these risks, btw.
Indeed. In fact, that's the one time you don't want that to happen, because there are a lot more ramifications when that's the case.

Better to do a few test runs until you find the right partner.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:51 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
"Dad, cool it" was the response I got from one and "That is so gross, dad," from another. They make up their minds much earlier than most people think, especially from parents who paper over "taking responsibility" and "consequences". Children learn from observation at a very, very early age.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:34 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
Was this original posted in the P&OC section? I don't recognize any of the posters besides the OP.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Was this original posted in the P&OC section? I don't recognize any of the posters besides the OP.
Parenting. Honestly not sure why it was moved.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:41 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I wonder if you have read any of this woman's stuff that was linked in the article?

The “Purity Culture”
I did not read any of the stuff linked. Holding on to your virtue be it a boy or a girl has always been taught and will always be taught within our home. It is part of the Church that I am a part of and always will be a part of the Church. No need to start some new movement, being pure and chaste is what the Scriptures have always taught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships