Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:01 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times

Advertisements

A guy messaged me recently on the dating web site, and I was really busy so I gave out my number way sooner than I normally would have. Usually, I spend more time vetting my dates.

He called within a couple hours of receiving my phone number and then started with the texting. Nothing alarming except for the familiarity and neediness in his messages - and we haven't even met. Before the red flags went off, I had said a coffee date was possible over the weekend and told him when i was free. But now I've gotten uneasy.

What's the best way to shut this down without poking the crazy bear?

I was going to pull down my profile anyway, so i'm thinking do I just pull it and tell him i'm too busy to date right now? I unexpectedly started talking to two other guys who are nice and sane - do I just tell them I had an uncomfortable experience and am taking down my profile for the time being, but still want to chat with them?

Any ideas how to handle this? The guy hasn't done anything that's a HUGE red flag, but the little red flags are piling up rapidly. He asked why i hadn't responded to one of his early texts when i didn't respond (during the workday) within 30 minutes or so. He talks about how excited he is to meet me. He uses grandiose language and romantic endearments. We've been texting for about 48 hours. It's all little stuff, but recent experience has given me renewed faith in my gut instinct. I am uneasy - that's all I need to tell me it needs to be shut down. HOW I should go about it is the question.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:05 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
1. What's the best way to shut this down without poking the crazy bear?

2. I was going to pull down my profile anyway, so i'm thinking do I just pull it and tell him i'm too busy to date right now? I unexpectedly started talking to two other guys who are nice and sane - do I just tell them I had an uncomfortable experience and am taking down my profile for the time being, but still want to chat with them?
1. Block his number

2. Just pull the profile and tell the other two guys what you suggested. Don't make any excuses to the "stalker" (for want of a better word) just cut him off. He'll go away.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:07 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Tell him your not interested. Have his number blocked if that doesn't work.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:08 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,746,115 times
So sorry you're having to deal with this! (I hope some of the guys who assume a girl isn't interested if she doesn't give our her number immediately will read this thread).

Block his number -- you may need to contact your carrier to do this.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:09 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
You haven't even told him yet that you won't meet him. How would he know he is not wanted?

Tell him you met somebody else. Then block his number.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:10 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Tell him your not interested. Have his number blocked if that doesn't work.
This. Don't just disappear, let him know you aren't interested and then make sure your address/workplace etc isn't traceable by your cell phone number.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:11 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,999,377 times
Quote:
1. Block his number

2. Just pull the profile and tell the other two guys what you suggested. Don't make any excuses to the "stalker" (for want of a better word) just cut him off. He'll go away.
That will work. If you want to try a milder approach, my favorite is to say, 'This just doesn't feel right to me.'

It's far more hippy-dippy than I am IRL, but there is nothing the person can say to argue with it .

If it wouldn't be interpreted in the proper new-agey sense where you are (if it would be interpreted as 'you seem like a stalker', for example), you can make it more oovey-groovey. Tell him you had a spirtual vision during meditation and your Higher Power said he was not the right path for you.

Don't say that some human (e.g your astrologer) said it, because then he can argue your astrologer's skillset. But who's gonna argue with God and/or a crazy lady?

Old 07-29-2013, 03:15 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,246,324 times
Don't answer the phone.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:18 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
Just act crazier than him!

Just tell him you want to get married ASAP, within the next 6 months for sure, that your clock is ticking for kids and you are hoping to have as many as you can.

Then ask about his job, how much he makes, can he afford a big house because if you are going to be a SAHM you need a nice, new, big house.

If that doesn't work start talking about how those pesky STD's always seem to find YOU and your crotch is burning...you think you might have another one but no worries...it's probably an easy fix with a round of antibiotics.

Oh, and for the clincher...tell him you do not give BJ's!

Okay all kidding aside...be direct. Tell him you are not interested in pursuing anything further with him, then don't answer your phone if he calls. Remove your profile and just let the other 2 know that you took it down because of an uneasy situation but you are still interested in talking to them.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:22 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
A guy messaged me recently on the dating web site, and I was really busy so I gave out my number way sooner than I normally would have. Usually, I spend more time vetting my dates.

He called within a couple hours of receiving my phone number and then started with the texting. Nothing alarming except for the familiarity and neediness in his messages - and we haven't even met. Before the red flags went off, I had said a coffee date was possible over the weekend and told him when i was free. But now I've gotten uneasy.

What's the best way to shut this down without poking the crazy bear?

I was going to pull down my profile anyway, so i'm thinking do I just pull it and tell him i'm too busy to date right now? I unexpectedly started talking to two other guys who are nice and sane - do I just tell them I had an uncomfortable experience and am taking down my profile for the time being, but still want to chat with them?

Any ideas how to handle this? The guy hasn't done anything that's a HUGE red flag, but the little red flags are piling up rapidly. He asked why i hadn't responded to one of his early texts when i didn't respond (during the workday) within 30 minutes or so. He talks about how excited he is to meet me. He uses grandiose language and romantic endearments. We've been texting for about 48 hours. It's all little stuff, but recent experience has given me renewed faith in my gut instinct. I am uneasy - that's all I need to tell me it needs to be shut down. HOW I should go about it is the question.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Check out this link, folks there gave a lot of good advice. Good luck and stay calm.

How do you get rid of a potential stalker if ignoring doesnt work? - Yahoo! Answers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships