Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:14 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
New member, posting just like another new member, on the same topics, which are beaten to death and tend to be inflamatory.

Not sure I want to keep feeding this one.
Yeah, betting "new member" ain't so new

Same old, same old.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:48 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times
Men aren't the only ones who should get pre-nups, if that's what a couple decides on. I say this because both my ex-husband and my ex-SO were better off after I was there.

My ex-husband, whom I was married for 24 years, ended up with MORE than half of the assets. I really think that if two people are together that long, it should be split 50/50. I worked throughout our married lives at a job and then at home (each day after work and on weekends).

My ex-SO, whom I was with for 9 years, ended up with items that I purchased, simply because I was still being nice while I was packing my stuff and leaving. And he was in better living quarters as well.

I ended up without a relationship, a job and a home all at once. I'd rather not hear how only men get shafted.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:54 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Wouldn't getting either means you don't trust the other person?

If you want to get either of these things... Don't marry.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:01 AM

158 posts, read 210,480 times
It would be better if marriage was avoided all together, but yes a prenup and a paternity test should be very important features.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:03 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Wouldn't getting either means you don't trust the other person?

If you want to get either of these things... Don't marry.

I agree. At this point, I wouldn't be interested in a pre-nup. I wasn't before. But I'm not interested in a relationship either.

If you don't trust the other person, don't get involved at all. Trust should be the building block for any relationship.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:11 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,628,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Men aren't the only ones who should get pre-nups, if that's what a couple decides on. I say this because both my ex-husband and my ex-SO were better off after I was there.

My ex-husband, whom I was married for 24 years, ended up with MORE than half of the assets. I really think that if two people are together that long, it should be split 50/50. I worked throughout our married lives at a job and then at home (each day after work and on weekends).

My ex-SO, whom I was with for 9 years, ended up with items that I purchased, simply because I was still being nice while I was packing my stuff and leaving. And he was in better living quarters as well.

I ended up without a relationship, a job and a home all at once. I'd rather not hear how only men get shafted.
Exactly - pre-nup is generally associated with assets (as it can't regulate child custody anways). Any side that has accumulated more assets is having a problem.
People actually forget that because they assume that men would generally earn more money. Your paycheck doesn't get affected at all unless the difference is significantly huge to pay child support. Most folks that have two fully working parents are rather having a similar paycheck.

Heaviest financial issue is generally connected with one's immovable property (house, apartment, etc).
And this is especially the case when one of the spouses brings their house or house that they inherited from their parents, into the equation. Assets are divided equally among the children as a default option. This puts women at same odds of having their house split with an alien just like men.
It's as if some people live in some different world. Most elderly people work their whole lives and they are left with their house and furniture and a few savings (and an old cars). People in here are repeatedly devaluing the importance of taking the upper hand over property in this era when housing is extremely expensive. Thus the younger folks who have no assets on their name may find this irrelevant, many rich heirs have all their assets on their parents' names (so they even look poor for being possibly the students or unemployed and without any assets on their name)... but lots of people over 40 or 50 years of age are seeing this as a crucial thing. They are very careful about those issues.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:13 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Prenups have nothing to do with that. If you start talking about alimony or child support it can easily be voided in court. And if you cannot trust her to not cheat on you with another man, to get a child with him instead, then you probably shouldn't get married at all.

Also, you don't lose any of your money. The money you earn in your marriage is not yours. It is martial assets who is owned by both. The exception to this is UK where all assets are shared, and it is normally shared in favour of the woman. Before you complain you should remember the laws could have been like in the UK. If I lived in the UK I would not get married.

There is one case I would get paternity test and that is if I get the "oops, I got pregnant" case. But apart from that if you plan to get kids at a certain time, then you should trust her that the child is yours.
Why?
I see no reason based on logic to support this claim, and absolutely no bennifit to the guy involved at all.

Friend of mine married and trusted his wife.... They had 3 kids together.

He had a rough patch at work... She 'got bored' (stay at home mom)... Kid #4 isn't his!
(she confessed, they are working it out for the sake of 1-3)
You just never know....

Old 08-03-2013, 08:16 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princewilla View Post
Just see the divorce rates and the lose-lose situation for men after divorce.
Its certain that you would lose your half property, hard earned money and your kids.
You have to pay .
1) Alimony
2) Child support

I mean this marriage contract is created to favor women in every possible way. And what if the child is not your's ?
What if you are paying child support for someone's else kid ?
More than 30 % of the men are paying child support for someone else kid's.
So i think every men should get a PRENUP and PATERNITY TEST after having kids. Marriage contract is a scam for men.

Why would any men want to get married anyway ?
You're wrong on almost every count here.

First of all, in most cases, women end up worse off financially after a divorce than men do. Look it up.

Second, it is not "certain" that women would get half a man's property and half his "hard-earned money"(interesting how what was theirs during the marriage suddenly becomes his after divorce!). How martial assets arre divided depends on whether you live in an equity state or a community property state. In either case, however, only marital assets--i.e. assets own by both parties--are divided. The family home may be a marital asset, but a man's salary isn't. Also consider that in about 40% of cases, women are now the primary breadwinners in families, not men.

Third, alimony (aka :maintenance") is almost never permanent, and is usually more modest than people realize.

Fourth, why the heck shouldn't men pay child support? They were paying to support their kids while they were married, weren't they? Apparently, you think that since a man is no longer married, he should be able to abandon his kids and stick his ex-wife--or the taxpayers!-- with all the bills! Nuts to that! You made those kids. You help support them.

Fifth, where did you hear that men are raising children not their own 30% of the time? Where does that figure come from?

Frankly, you sound like a man who chose a partner unwisely, maybe got a rough judgement in a divorce, and now wants to dodge responsibility for your own bad choices by blaming the system.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:22 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Why?
I see no reason based on logic to support this claim, and absolutely no bennifit to the guy involved at all.
If you are planning a kid, then you are having unprotected sex. Only a woman totally without morals would at the same time have random sex with another guy to increase her chance of being pregnant by another man. If you can't even trust her to do that, then being in marriage with her is meaningless.

Quote:
Friend of mine married and trusted his wife.... They had 3 kids together.

He had a rough patch at work... She 'got bored' (stay at home mom)... Kid #4 isn't his!
(she confessed, they are working it out for the sake of 1-3)
You just never know....
That sound exactly like the "oops, I am pregnant" case. If not, how would she know the kid is by the other man and not her husbands.

This case is what usually happens when she gets pregnant by another man.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:22 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
If you think you need a prenup, you probably should not be getting married. If you think you need a paternity test, you probably should not be getting married.

Why would you marry someone you do not trust or expect to trust in the future?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships