Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:56 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Why in the world would someone in their right mind raise someone else's kid?
I raised my husband's two girls. Their mother was in prison when I got on the scene, and then she didn't have time for them when she finally got out 7 years later, and now she's back in prison for the same thing. Not exactly mama material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 01:59 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
I wouldn't have a problem raising the child as my own. I would however have a problem with my bf having sex with his ex while on a break. I thought "on a break" was to do some soul searching and evaluate the relationship, not a ticket to go screw around. I guess, I'd take the child and dump the bf.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:59 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Highly unlikely I ever find myself in this situation, but without a second thought, yes, I would raise "someone else's" kid if I wanted to be with the kid's father. I'm kind of a "just go with it" type of person. I like kids, even if I'm not planning on being a parent for now. And life happens. It just does.

If I wanted to be with someone and they came with a kid, that wouldn't factor into my decision to be with them at all unless they were a bad parent. My favorite ex was a great boyfriend and a terrible father. I walked away from him for good, mainly because of that. I'd have been happy to help him raise his son, but I wasn't going to do it if I was going to be overcompensating for or being undermined by the person who was supposed to be most invested in the child's development.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:02 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Nope and no one sane would do this unless they were desperate.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:04 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Absolutely not.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:22 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I raised my husband's two girls. Their mother was in prison when I got on the scene, and then she didn't have time for them when she finally got out 7 years later, and now she's back in prison for the same thing. Not exactly mama material.
Ya but the kids were already there. The mom didn't get prego while you and your husband were on a break.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:36 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Ya but the kids were already there. The mom didn't get prego while you and your husband were on a break.
Yea that's the difference. I wouldn't have a problem dating someone who had behaved children.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:57 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,628,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Men, would you stay with your girlfriend/wife and raise another man's child if she got pregnant by one of her ex boyfriends while both of you were on a break? How would you feel about having sex with, going to doctor appointments with, and sitting at the hospital with her while your woman is giving birth to someone else's child?

Women, if you could not stand your man's ex and he got her pregnant while you both were on a break and allowed to date others, could you bring your self to raise his ex's kid as you're own if the mother gave the child up to your man?

In both of these situations, both of you already have a long history together and also have kids of your own together... Could you stay or would you leave just based on this event?
Short answer: No.
I'm male.

By the way, you made it messy with a scenario including another woman. Equivalent should be having a guy making other woman pregnant while being on the break from his relationship with the other woman, but the difference is also that the biological mother would gain custody by default unless she's having serious issues that should disqualify her.

Last edited by nald; 08-06-2013 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: edited..

Old 08-06-2013, 02:58 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Btw can we just say these people are probably scum anyway? I mean who gets someone pregnant or gets pregnant during a "break" instead of using birth control (or being abstinent).

Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Yea that's the difference. I wouldn't have a problem dating someone who had behaved children.
Your question was not whether the kids were behaved or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships