Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 06:35 PM

878 posts, read 942,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Nope. The odds are much lower that she'll find a guy she can relate to. The odds are also lower that a brainy guy who wants a woman who's equal or close to him in intelligence will find a match. Because there are much fewer people towards the end of the intelligence bell-curve. An average guy might have a big heart, and that's great. But over time, she'd notice that his problem-solving skills and his perception and evaluation of the world and his analytical skills are way off from hers.

That said, however, I know a number of couples where the guy isn't very bright, and the woman is very bright and has a much higher education and career level than the husband, and they're happy, even though the guys have the reputation of being screw-ups on the job and are low achievers. So it just goes to show that humans are a very complex bundle of personality traits, emotional needs, psychological issues and other characteristics. They're unpredictable, so general theories and formulas often don't apply.
I am not a highly-educated man. 18 months of college, ran out of money, had to go to work. Was lucky enough to find it in my chosen field (at the time).

I have found, in terms of language usage, problem-solving skills, resourcefulness and the ability to improvise under pressure, I have it all over most of the college-educated people I've ever worked with. I know people with doctorates who can't differentiate between "two," "to," and "too." More than a few as well, and I live in an area of high-concentrations of highly-educated people (SF Bay Area). But it takes more than a degree to make someone, anyone, competent. It takes work ethic, dogged determination, and the willingness to accept when an approach is wrong, to set one's ego aside and adapt your original idea to the circumstances. Whether you're doing information architecture, fixing your sink or car, flying an aircraft or building a business plan, if your education locks you into a single way of thinking (and I find more stubbornly-stupid people among degree-holders than anyone else in my age group), you're a college-educated fool.

I have had more than my share of college-educated fools call me up when their car needed brakes or their disposer needed replacing, wanting me to help them, and then give me sh*t when something wasn't fitting into their pre-conceived notion of what should be happening. Needless to say, when that happened, I packed up my tools and left. You don't like what I'm doing? You're on your own.

I'll match wits on subjects that matter on a daily basis with anyone no matter their degree. I've been blown off by women who thought I was just too "blue collar," but now that I'm a working musician, they all want to be on the guest list. Har-dee-har-har. I just told them at my age, I'm too old for groupies and hung up.

People get very hung up on really stupid stuff. It's stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 07:16 PM

803 posts, read 1,668,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
My ex-girlfriend posted this on her Facebook timeline. I will admit that her intelligence is one of the things that attracted me to her, and the fact that she's cute helped too.

Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

Not necessarily a sign of intelligence. More like rationalizing than anything else, especially on facebook. An intelligent person can also be irrational (emotionally distressed) and make poor decisions.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:23 PM

302 posts, read 303,533 times
Quote:
Nope. The odds are much lower that she'll find a guy she can relate to.
Read the quote we're all referring to. It says nothing about finding someone she can relate to, rather finding the right man. And on that count, every woman has the same odds of finding the right man. "Man" is singular, right?

Old 08-15-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
First tell me how old you are...
Do you always use avoidance as a tactic?

I could tell you I'm 20, I could tell you I'm 40, I could tell you I'm 60. My age has no bearing on whether or not I'm right or wrong. If you're going to take issue with something I've said, take issue with it, then explain yourself. Don't be petty and bring age into it.

Now, are you going to define: "successful" in terms of a relationship? Because I have a feeling I've had many, many successful relationships according to your definition. See, we do that to make ourselves feel better. We call something a success when it really wasn't. We do that do justify making wrong decision after wrong decision until we find ourselves in a very negative pattern.

But I prefer honest assessments. I'm able to call a failed relationship a failed relationship. It failed because I made the wrong choices either in terms of a partner or in terms of decisions made during the relationship. I'm not a little child who needs a pat on the back and gold star everyday in class even though I didn't earn it. The fact is, I've never had a successful relationship, romantically speaking. They've all failed. But, I'm getting better(we can discuss this some other time.) So I guess I can pat myself on the back for that.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:37 PM

878 posts, read 942,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashrulez View Post
The fact is, I've never had a successful relationship, romantically speaking. They've all failed. But, I'm getting better(we can discuss this some other time.) So I guess I can pat myself on the back for that.
Define successful?

Old 08-15-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Cat View Post
Define successful?
In terms of a romantic relationship? There's no such thing. At least not by my estimation.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:44 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Women tend to marry at their level or above in terms of wealth & intelligence. Few women marry "down". So if a woman is to the right of the bell curve she will simply have fewer options that she would deem acceptable. Now that doesn't mean men of lesser intelligence won't find her attractive it's just that most likely she won't have much use for them unless they have something she desires (social status, wealth etc.).

This is why the backlash to what I thought was very astute advice from the Princetom alum mom of two Princeton students was very odd. It's like people are simply ignoring reality because of political correctness. If you are a woman going to an Ivy league school your best chance at finding a suitable mate will occur at university. That's not say you can't meet someone later but just that it gives you your best chance.
Princeton mom to female students: 'Find a husband on campus'

Quote:
For her part, in a follow-up interview, Patton expressed surprise at the letter's virility, while sticking to her guns about the advice it contains: "I'm astounded by the extreme reaction. Honestly, I just thought this was some good advice from a Jewish mother. It's not that I'm anti-feminist… I'm just saying, if as a young (Princeton) woman, you are thinking that you would like to have not just professional success but personal success as part of your life happiness, keep an open mind to the men that you're surrounded with now. Because these are the best guys. You'll meet wonderful men outside of Princeton, but you'll never have the numbers in your favor the way you do now."

Old 08-15-2013, 09:16 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This is why the backlash to what I thought was very astute advice from the Princetom alum mom of two Princeton students was very odd. It's like people are simply ignoring reality because of political correctness. If you are a woman going to an Ivy league school your best chance at finding a suitable mate will occur at university. That's not say you can't meet someone later but just that it gives you your best chance.
Princeton mom to female students: 'Find a husband on campus'
The problem with it is that very generally speaking, women don't get married in college or right after anymore (YMMV regionally). The whole idea of going to college for your "MRS (Mrs.) Degree" fell into serious disfavor sometime back around the 80's, and has been lampooned every since. So the article comes across as if it's trying to dial everything back to the 50's. Even though the author does have a point. But women don't need an MRS Degree to validate them anymore, because they have tons of career options, so life has moved on from that somewhat anachronistic model. Besides, bright, capable women in good careers are well-placed to meet their male peers through work, so they don't need to do the desperate husband-search-in-college routine anymore.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:36 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,628,464 times
Quote:
The problem with it is that very generally speaking, women don't get married in college or right after anymore (YMMV regionally). The whole idea of going to college for your "MRS (Mrs.) Degree" fell into serious disfavor sometime back around the 80's, and has been lampooned every since. So the article comes across as if it's trying to dial everything back to the 50's. Even though the author does have a point. But women don't need an MRS Degree to validate them anymore, because they have tons of career options, so life has moved on from that somewhat anachronistic model. Besides, bright, capable women in good careers are well-placed to meet their male peers through work, so they don't need to do the desperate husband-search-in-college routine anymore.
I'd be glad if anyone would out them to me so I can fire such people in my jurisdiction. Business isn't your place to hit on others or meet others for sex. Stay professional or go somewhere else... potentially huge corporation where everyone is positioned by whom they know and everyone's work is covered by huge collective to justify hierarchical money splitting. Another option is government sector.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:37 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,875 times
Quote:
Once in the work place a lot of guys are not going to gamble their career for a date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships