Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 02:20 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,576,238 times

Advertisements

I was reading another thread where some posters said it was a dealbreaker if their partner had different views than them on being pro-choice or pro-life. I was stunned because that should be like #400 on the list of things of partners you should be looking at. I would never dump an otherwise quality girl because her views on abortion is different. I don't care about the issue enough where her views on it matter.

Is your partners views on abortion important to you? Is it a dealbreaker if they have different views?

Note: Please DO NOT make this a thread about the merits or legality of abortion. That's not what this thread is about. I don't want this thread to turn into a political pro choice or pro life thread. Just focus on how you would view a potential partner who had different views on abortion.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:29 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
I was reading another thread where some posters said it was a dealbreaker if their partner had different views than them on being pro-choice or pro-life. I was stunned because that should be like #400 on the list of things of partners you should be looking at. I would never dump an otherwise quality girl because her views on abortion is different. I don't care about the issue enough where her views on it matter.

Is your partners views on abortion important to you? Is it a dealbreaker if they have different views?

Note: Please DO NOT make this a thread about the merits or legality of abortion. That's not what this thread is about. I don't want this thread to turn into a political pro choice or pro life thread. Just focus on how you would view a potential partner who had different views on abortion.
I suspect it is more of a dealbreaker for women than men. If you are a pro-choice woman, it would be hard to see eye to eye with a man who does not respect her right to make decisions about her own body, especially because that view of women as needing to be controlled can manifest in lots of different ways.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:31 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Well, there are lots and lots of unplanned pregnancies that happen and it would be nice to know that my partner and I are on the same page. I don't think I could be with someone who is staunchly pro life because I'm not ready for children right now and if there was a mistake, there is a strong change I would choose to abort.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:48 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
I am mixed on this issue and see both sides (and actually agree with aspects on both sides). For me I prefer a guy who wouldn't expect me to abort if I became pregnant because I wouldn't unless it affected my health or I was raped. I dated several men who told me if I became pregnant I would have to abort and this bothered me. My boyfriend told me if I became pregnant we would hope I wouldn't abort as he felt it was wrong. However it's not my place to judge others who have abortions and do understand those who won't date others who oppose it.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:47 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
It is a bit of an issue for me. I am not 'for' abortion at all. I shouldn't say at all, because if it is a case where the child could not live outside of the womb, etc...

I know it could be hard for a woman to carry out a pregnancy with a baby that would not live, but it has been known to happen.

I would much prefer a person choose adoption over abortion, or know that if you are having sexual intercourse that the possibility of pregnancy comes with it. I got pregnant with both of my children while on bc pills.

With that said, I do not judge anyone elses rights and decisions.

It is difficult when you are on the subject and your partner feels much differently about it. It is not a deal-breaker, but sometimes it is hard to think that they feel differently.

I am of the belief that soon after an egg is fertilized there is human life.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:55 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,888 times
Lets say I was in a serious relationship with a girl and been dating for over a year and moving towards the next step in are relationship and she got knock up. If she told me she wanted an abortion that is telling me she does not see me as a guy she wants to have kids with. Seeing how I want to be a dad that would hurt me a lot . I do not think i could get over that and might just move on from her.

On the other hand if we where dating only a few months and she got knock up and both were not sure if this relationship going to work then I would feel differential about it.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:56 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
It seems like it should be something that both partners see eye to eye on.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post

For me, a persons actions are a lot more important than their views.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:59 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I suspect it is more of a dealbreaker for women than men. If you are a pro-choice woman, it would be hard to see eye to eye with a man who does not respect her right to make decisions about her own body, especially because that view of women as needing to be controlled can manifest in lots of different ways.
Pretty much.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:40 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

Yep. I would not date someone who is anti-choice. I don't take kindly to men telling me what to do with my own body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships