Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:34 AM

3 posts, read 4,021 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My BF and I were riding our motorcycles about a month ago. I wrecked mine and broke my knee and shoulder. After knee surgery (plate and pin), I am in a wheelchair for about 3 months.

He wants to go on a 5 day motorcycle trip with our club and have his mother come to babysit me. He invited his mother to stay with me for 2 weeks, part of that time he will be on his motorcycle trip. IDK why I feel like this is the wrong time for him to leave me, but on the other hand, his motorcycle is important to him.

Any thoughts on how to handle this?

Cachexi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 08:36 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachexi View Post
Hi,

My BF and I were riding our motorcycles about a month ago. I wrecked mine and broke my knee and shoulder. After knee surgery (plate and pin), I am in a wheelchair for about 3 months.

He wants to go on a 5 day motorcycle trip with our club and have his mother come to babysit me. He invited his mother to stay with me for 2 weeks, part of that time he will be on his motorcycle trip. IDK why I feel like this is the wrong time for him to leave me, but on the other hand, his motorcycle is important to him.

Any thoughts on how to handle this?

Cachexi
How old are you two? How long have you been dating? Do you live together or separately?

Old 08-27-2013, 08:37 AM

We have separate places, but almost always stay together. We have been together for 1 year. We are in our 40s

Old 08-27-2013, 08:43 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times
I'm sorry to hear of your accident, and I hope you heal well and soon!

It sounds like he's trying to be thoughtful by arranging for his mom to look after you. Honestly, as much as you're the injured person and adjusting to being in a wheelchair, him suddenly being a caregiver for 3 months may take a toll on him, and possibly your relationship. I would let him know you'll miss him, appreciate his arranging for help for you, and that you look forward to hearing about the trip when he's back.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:43 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,948 times
Quote:
We have separate places, but almost always stay together. We have been together for 1 year. We are in our 40s
I think the timing is little off, but on the other hand he is thinking about you by having his mother come and stay in the meantime-if you are comfortable with her doing so.

I would let him go. He's your boyfriend, not your husband. I think it's probably a nice way of saying thank you to him for helping you out during this time.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:49 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,354,326 times
wish him a safe trip, and contact you every so often.

let him ride

Old 08-27-2013, 09:09 AM

Thank you for your thoughts. I believe you are right...It may be my issue since I was supposed to go on that trip and now cannot do so.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:21 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,209,412 times
Quote:

If he's in his 40s, he should know better than to do that to you. His buddies will always be there, and there will be other trips. You, however, will only be incapacitated for a few months. Your situation is temporary, and he should have the good graces to tell his buddies, "Next time."

Old 08-27-2013, 09:26 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Let him go. Be a good sport about it. Find a new boyfriend, unless you are fine with a relationship that stays casual.

It's not going to work to try to guilt him about it, or to nag him, or even to ask him not to go. But he is not all that into you. He's more than casual and a lot less than serious about you. If that is what you are happy with, then all's fine.

If you want more, move on. You won't get it there.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:28 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Thank you for your thoughts. I believe you are right...It may be my issue since I was supposed to go on that trip and now cannot do so.
sure it is, it is only human to feel slighted...so understand, it's ok to feel that way.
However, let him go, and always remember, you don't own him, or anyone, when your in a relationship, it is so important to have "me" time, regardless. you go away with the girls, he goes away with the guys. But you have to allow your mate freedom, and if there is love and trust, it comes very easy to do so. If not, find another mate!

But to be together 24/7 is not healthy, maybe for the woman, but a man needs his space, so encourage each other to go on weekend get aways, with friends. you'll come back refreshed and so much more wealthy inside for it.

Hugs to you and hope you feel better very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships