Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:40 AM

233 posts, read 751,775 times

Advertisements

hey people just got back from my trip to south africa and i noticed something right away. the women in south africa are nicer than most of the women here in the south. i noticed as soon as i walked off the plane, black women looking so miserable. the their faces had a permenate look of distain, unhappiness, and plain. in south africa the women smiled, and spoke in kindness.
the black women here most will not talk with a black man, but will converse with a white guy. over there, they spoke to who ever treated them good. who came with a calm nice demeanor. they smiled all the time and had a sweetness to them. despite the fact they suffer apartheid recently, and it is fresh in some of their minds.
why is their a difference between the two countries? why are the women their sweeter despite the hard times, and the women here are colder.
i have my own thoughts, tell me yours...

Old 11-14-2007, 10:46 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
They want your money???

Old 11-14-2007, 11:31 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times
Maybe they're happier in their home-land, without having to deal with a lot of the common daily stress issues that revolve around African American Women that live in the states? Racial hatred, defamation by way of stereotypists, that sort of thing. ? Just a thought off the top of my head

Old 11-14-2007, 11:46 AM

233 posts, read 751,775 times
i would not say they want my money, when i flew their i was invited by a woman who had money.
and as i said before apartheid is still in the minds on many. and yet they still are kind and sweet. and if they face hardships here, why be nice to white men who started this mess? is it kissing the hands that smacked you?

Old 11-14-2007, 11:50 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
why be nice to white men who started this mess? is it kissing the hands that smacked you?
Thanks for putting it in that light, I've never heard it spoken so bluntly.
Maybe the one's that do think that way are the reason that stereotypes or racial hatred exist.

...then again, maybe you just happened to catch every native african american that you met while you were visiting over there, on a good day!

Old 11-14-2007, 02:44 PM

168 posts, read 1,212,189 times
I don't think it's specific to South Africa or a racial thing. I think there is a feeling of entitlement in this country.

I've been to many developing nations (and lived in W.Africa) and found something similar to what you found...BUT do you see white people in this country running around smiling at everyone? Have you ever been in the subway in NYC at 7:30 in the morning? I've never seen anything more depressing in my life (well, almost). All races look miserable. Plodding along to work, which is usually far from home, sitting in an office, returning home in time to kiss the kiddies goodnight, all to keep up the "good life."

In Senegal (and Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Mali, and many other places I've been) I've noticed that people are much happier, and also much more appreciative of what they have (life, family, etc...BASIC things). I spent time only in rural villages, so I don't know much at all about the city, but in the villages, they spend their days working hard (but close to home). Meals are cooked by family members for family members, children are raised by family, they live with extended family, they sit around in the evening and chat, dance, etc....not in front of the boob tube all evening.

It's not about race. It's about culture.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:46 PM

989 posts, read 3,526,527 times
Quote:
...why be nice to white men who started this mess? is it kissing the hands that smacked you?
Statements like this make me wonder... I wonder why blacks are still blaming whites for their inability to put the past behind them. I wonder why blacks who think this way continue to stay in America and ***** about, "The Man" yet they take the government support. I wonder why these blacks, who were never slaves, still hate the whites, who were never slave holders.

I also wonder how much longer white people are going to be blamed for everything that goes wrong in the black culture.

I am not a racist, far from it. But I do hate the blame game that the blacks like to play. I also hate that anytime a white criticizes a black or the black culture, he is labeled as a racist. The most racist people I know are black people. We are living in a sad time in African American history.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:45 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,200,158 times
Default Its the Culture

It pretty much has to do with the culture - I have been to South Africa too and loved it. I did some volunteering there a while ago and every family welcomed me with open arms. They are very kind, share all they have with you and treat you with a lot of respect no matter who you are or where you come from.

=============

Quote:
hey people just got back from my trip to south africa and i noticed something right away. the women in south africa are nicer than most of the women here in the south. i noticed as soon as i walked off the plane, black women looking so miserable. the their faces had a permenate look of distain, unhappiness, and plain. in south africa the women smiled, and spoke in kindness.
the black women here most will not talk with a black man, but will converse with a white guy. over there, they spoke to who ever treated them good. who came with a calm nice demeanor. they smiled all the time and had a sweetness to them. despite the fact they suffer apartheid recently, and it is fresh in some of their minds.
why is their a difference between the two countries? why are the women their sweeter despite the hard times, and the women here are colder.
i have my own thoughts, tell me yours...

Old 11-15-2007, 06:02 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
I don't think race has to do with anything. It's culture. Plus, the fact that you are visiting another country - with very poor people - of course they are going to be happy. This is just my assumption but I have traveled abroad enough to realize that green will make anybody smile for you.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:45 AM

384 posts, read 1,709,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I don't think race has to do with anything. It's culture. Plus, the fact that you are visiting another country - with very poor people - of course they are going to be happy. This is just my assumption but I have traveled abroad enough to realize that green will make anybody smile for you.
I have to agree with the poster of this piece. There is a big difference between the attitudes of African American women and black women of other countries. I sometimes believe that although more privileged, African American women face more stereotypes and negativity so therefore, they have reason to carry a "chip" on their shoulders...So to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships