Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 06:29 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,628,740 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know other people's opinion on something and if they had personal experiences on this.

Was any of you bothered with knowing that the guy you're dating has huge debt to pay on the house that he (or she) lives in and will be paying it of for a long time? I'm saying this because it most probably means that he actually has nothing other than a huge debt, or having a house with so-called "negative equity".
How much would this affect your opinion about this person as your potential spouse or their seriousness/standing in life? Let's just say you know this person for two weeks and this person has no parents around to live with them either - meaning that they could be homeless if something goes wrong in the long years of paying off their mortgage.

I'm sorry, I've checked other forums and even this sub-forum and couldn't find a topic that deals with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 06:43 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
I'd like to know other people's opinion on something and if they had personal experiences on this.

Was any of you bothered with knowing that the guy you're dating has huge debt to pay on the house that he (or she) lives in and will be paying it of for a long time? I'm saying this because it most probably means that he actually has nothing other than a huge debt, or having a house with so-called "negative equity".
How much would this affect your opinion about this person as your potential spouse or their seriousness/standing in life? Let's just say you know this person for two weeks and this person has no parents around to live with them either - meaning that they could be homeless if something goes wrong in the long years of paying off their mortgage.

I'm sorry, I've checked other forums and even this sub-forum and couldn't find a topic that deals with this.
Someone who has the credit, career and means to be eligible for a mortgage is a GOOD catch in my eyes.

There is nothing "negative" about a person having debt in the form of a mortgage - that's "good" debt.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:56 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post

Being upside down in a mortgage is pretty common these days. Now, how upside down could be a problem.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:06 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,433,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Someone who has the credit, career and means to be eligible for a mortgage is a GOOD catch in my eyes.

There is nothing "negative" about a person having debt in the form of a mortgage - that's "good" debt.

In this case it kind of does though. Doesn't it? If I understand right, the house is worth less than the balance of the mortgage. Even if it gets reposessed, it won't be enough to pay off the mortgage. Then he's on the street, and still in debt.

I just bought a house, but as far as right now goes, it was assesed at 133K, and I bought it for 107K.

So I'm sort of in a good spot....for now. lol

Old 09-01-2013, 07:10 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,889 times
If you're only willing to date people whose retirement savings exceed their debts (home, car, student loans, etc.) you're going to really be limiting yourself, especially if you like to date people younger than 40 or 50.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:12 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
In this case it kind of does though. Doesn't it? If I understand right, the house is worth less than the balance of the mortgage. Even if it gets reposessed, it won't be enough to pay off the mortgage. Then he's on the street, and still in debt.

I just bought a house, but as far as right now goes, it was assesed at 133K, and I bought it for 107K.

So I'm sort of in a good spot....for now. lol
Read what he wrote again - he is considering having a mortgage for a home a negative period.

He said nothing about REAL equity or being upside down on the mortgage.

He's apparently just worried something could happen to prevent the person from paying the mortgage and then losing the house and being homeless

Old 09-01-2013, 07:21 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,433,425 times
Quote:
Read what he wrote again - he is considering having a mortgage for a home a negative period.

He said nothing about REAL equity or being upside down on the mortgage.

He's apparently just worried something could happen to prevent the person from paying the mortgage and then losing the house and being homeless

Ooooooohhh.....okay then. lol

Old 09-01-2013, 07:24 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
If the person is able to keep making the payments, how is that a bad thing?

That shouldn't be a deal breaker if a person is paying for his own home lol.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:33 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Anything beyond car payment and mortgage makes me skittish. I am a very debt adverse person.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-01-2013, 08:35 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:

Disagree.

If you have too little equity you cannot even refi, that tells me you made a crap ass decision and took on too much house with too little down payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships