Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,096 times

Advertisements

This question is about the way society views these things. It seems we project an unhealthy and almost unattainable goal for ourselves in this regard.

I doubt there are any statistics, but I would really like to know how many long term monogamous relationships are completely successful. Meaning two people, together for a significant amount of time with no incidents dealing with a third party.

This does not include people saying "my partner has never cheated, and I just know this.", because you simply don't.

I would like to hear from the types of people that demand fidelity in relationships as well: Do you expect to live happily ever after with a loyal spouse? Are you expecting these things to not come up? What is it in your brain that makes you so incredibly loyal? Would you rather be alone forever than deal with this behavior? Do you automatically demand and expect loyalty out of all your mates?

What do you think would bring about such a change on society? Has it already begun?

Old 10-26-2011, 10:05 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
If I were to guess I'd say it's somewhere around, roughly, 30% of relationships are untarnished by a 3rd party and wandering partner. As far as demanding fidelity.....that's not likely to be successful. Maybe commanding...but not demanding.

ETA: No, I don't think it's going to get any better. New age and liberal thinking and rationalizing our reasons for cheating are making it easier and easier to live with our choices.

Last edited by Whyte Byrd; 10-26-2011 at 10:14 AM..

Old 10-26-2011, 10:06 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times
Will attitudes towards marital commitment and divorce ever change? Or is the 40-50% divorce rate a permanent thing?

Old 10-26-2011, 10:09 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
This question is about the way society views these things. It seems we project an unhealthy and almost unattainable goal for ourselves in this regard.

I doubt there are any statistics, but I would really like to know how many long term monogamous relationships are completely successful. Meaning two people, together for a significant amount of time with no incidents dealing with a third party.

This does not include people saying "my partner has never cheated, and I just know this.", because you simply don't.

I would like to hear from the types of people that demand fidelity in relationships as well: Do you expect to live happily ever after with a loyal spouse? Are you expecting these things to not come up? What is it in your brain that makes you so incredibly loyal? Would you rather be alone forever than deal with this behavior? Do you automatically demand and expect loyalty out of all your mates?

What do you think would bring about such a change on society? Has it already begun?
Um, yeah...cheating will stop right around the same time rape, murder, robbery, embezzling, speeding, shoplifting, drinking and driving, etc, stop.

Why? All these thing have one thing in common. One person who thinks they are above everyone else and are selfish enough to think they should be able to do whatever they want. People who think nothing of living in the confines of a safe society but break their contract to be good citizens who preserve that safety and community feeling.

So, no. As long as those things are prevalent in our society, cheating will be, too. The world is and always will be full of dirtbags.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:26 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,864 times
Quote:
Will societies' views on promiscuity, monogamy, and fidelity ever change?
They have always been in flux. They have always been changing. But it's important to note the hyporcitical divide between views and behaviours. Those who decide what is good & proper for the masses usually don't hold themselves to the same standard. Preaching one thing, doing another in secret. It is human nature.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:29 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
They have always been in flux. They have always been changing. But it's important to note the hyporcitical divide between views and behaviours. Those who decide what is good & proper for the masses usually don't see themselves to the same morality. Preaching one thing, doing another in secret. It is human nature.
This, unfortunately and speaking from experience, is the truth. Be careful what you say you would never do/resort to. Or, judge not.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
They have always been in flux. They have always been changing. But it's important to note the hyporcitical divide between views and behaviours. Those who decide what is good & proper for the masses usually don't hold themselves to the same standard. Preaching one thing, doing another in secret. It is human nature.
Yes, but despite the hypocrisy, it can still be best.

Like a unhealthy person...they should still say people should exercise and eat well. Even if they don't. They may not be able/willing to practice it, but it still benefits the population for everyone else to aspire to be fit and eat well.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes, but despite the hypocrisy, it can still be best.

Like a unhealthy person...they should still say people should exercise and eat well. Even if they don't. They may not be able/willing to practice it, but it still benefits the population for everyone else to aspire to be fit and eat well.
True to a point but people--until their foot slips to one side or the other of that fine line--are less likely to subscribe to the, Do as I say, not as I do, mentality.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:45 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
This, unfortunately and speaking from experience, is the truth. Be careful what you say you would never do/resort to. Or, judge not.
When a leader makes decisions, those decisions (made on behalf of many) are moral judgements. And only a righteous person can be trusted to make sound moral judgements on the behalf of many. That's why good leaders are so valuable.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
When a leader makes decisions, those decisions (made on behalf of many) are moral judgements. And only a righteous person can be trusted to make sound moral judgements on the behalf of many. That's why good leaders are so valuable.
That's why there are so few good leaders. Few can tow the line without flaw. In fact, I've only heard of one who did it successfully, so far. The important thing is to keep trying. Now I forgot what we were originally talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships