Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 04:22 PM

296 posts, read 1,251,101 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, I made a POF account and met my ex-boyfriend. After a few weeks of talking, we both deleted our profiles and didn't use the site since. Recently, I moved to a new city and thought it would be fun to make some new friends and possibly find a nice guy to date, so I went to make a new POF profile. I got as far as submitting my info, and it came back telling me my IP address range has been blocked and I can't make an account on their site?? For the record, I'm a very nice, kind, mid-twenties female, I never posted anything mean, lewd, scandalous, etc.. Never sent any rude messages from my last account. The IP part has me freaked out, because I'm the only one who has access to this computer and clearly they have no reason to block me from making an account? Has this happened to anyone else for literally no reason??

I'm also not sure if they mean (by my IP being blocked), that my router is blocked? Because I rent my internet router from AT&T so if that was the case, could it be possible that the last person who rented the router violated something and that's why it's blocked? So confused. I emailed POF support and they ignored me, reiterating that my IP was blocked with a generic copy/pasted message and basically told me I could not join the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 04:50 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taraox View Post
A few years ago, I made a POF account and met my ex-boyfriend. After a few weeks of talking, we both deleted our profiles and didn't use the site since. Recently, I moved to a new city and thought it would be fun to make some new friends and possibly find a nice guy to date, so I went to make a new POF profile. I got as far as submitting my info, and it came back telling me my IP address range has been blocked and I can't make an account on their site?? For the record, I'm a very nice, kind, mid-twenties female, I never posted anything mean, lewd, scandalous, etc.. Never sent any rude messages from my last account. The IP part has me freaked out, because I'm the only one who has access to this computer and clearly they have no reason to block me from making an account? Has this happened to anyone else for literally no reason??

I'm also not sure if they mean (by my IP being blocked), that my router is blocked? Because I rent my internet router from AT&T so if that was the case, could it be possible that the last person who rented the router violated something and that's why it's blocked? So confused. I emailed POF support and they ignored me, reiterating that my IP was blocked with a generic copy/pasted message and basically told me I could not join the site.
You can go to an electronics store, and get an AT&T router, and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, you can return it, and they'll give you a refund.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:01 PM

296 posts, read 1,251,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can go to an electronics store, and get an AT&T router, and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, you can return it, and they'll give you a refund.
Apparently for the service I have, it has to be this special router that you can only rent through AT&T (aka you can't buy it from them or anywhere else). Or else I would've done that I ended up making an account on my phone using my phone's internet and a different email just in case, and it worked, but sucks I have to type everything on there.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:02 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
POF does things like this often. Who knows why but they like trashy people and you sound too good for them.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:08 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Many internet providers (like AOL) use "dynamic IP" where your IP address varies each time you connect (within the IP range assigned to the provider), as opposed to "static IP" where your IP remains the same every time. This means there can be oodles of users connected in that IP range, and when a website experiences 'problems' (trolling etc) coming from an IP/range, the website doesn't know which user(s) is causing the problem, so they just reject all users coming from that IP/range.

The provider can accommodate way more users with dynamic IP than with static IP because at any given time - even peak times - only a fraction of their users are connected. Big providers simply don't have enough IP addresses available to give every customer a unique IP address. So a minority of bad apples can ruin an IP range for a lot of people.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:10 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taraox View Post

Same thing happened to me 5 days ago and I had no choice but to move on. The bad thing was I was getting so many phone numbers and then it all came to a end.

horrible

Old 09-08-2013, 06:09 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Same thing happened to me 5 days ago and I had no choice but to move on. The bad thing was I was getting so many phone numbers and then it all came to a end.

horrible
I doubt that your experience is related at all to this poster's situation. You've given examples of many obscene messages you've sent to women on dating sites who've infuriated you for responding to you with words as simple as, "Hi, how are you".

Old 09-08-2013, 07:46 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,985,374 times
changing routers probably won't help. the IP address that POF sees for you is assigned by AT&T's servers when they talk to your router, not by your own router

there are ways around it - google "proxy" - but if you're not technically skilled i would just suggest using some other site than POF

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships