Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 06:34 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times

Advertisements

I have a male friend who I've been friends with for maybe 30 years. We had a brief fling about a decade ago that ended for many reasons, including distance, his heavy drinking, and the fact he couldn't be monogamous. But we're still friends who touch base with one another every few months. We're both happily married to other people and everything is fine.

My husband doesn't like him, despite the fact we've gone out out with them once and they've come to a party at our place. My friend is very animated and outgoing and my husband is more reserved and guarded. So generally I keep our friendship to a very minimal level out of respect for my husband's feelings.

A few weeks back he texted me that I was on his short list of people he'd like to visit with soon. I didn't think to mention it to DH, because it wasn't exactly a plan, just general notice. Well, he called last night around 9:00 and left a message, but my phone was off and I didn't hear it till today. All it said was he was going to a mutual friend's house for awhile and would I like to come over to see them? It sounded like he'd had a drink or two.

I mentioned it to my husband this morning, with what I felt was the appropriate amount of annoyance/amusement that the friend would think I'd just go out at that hour and hang out, probably have a drink with them. I start getting ready for bed around that time.

Maybe I made a mistake when I told my husband I would have gone to visit them had it been 4:30 in the afternoon.

He's been pissy with me ever since. He said people would talk. I never even spoke with my friend!

Last edited by ellie; 05-18-2014 at 06:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 06:39 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,437,330 times
Meh. He'll get over it by tomorrow.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:42 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post

Maybe I made a mistake when I told my husband I would have gone to visit them had it been 4:30 in the afternoon.
I can see where this probably did **** him off.

But you guys should talk about it.

As you know, the "friend" obviously is someone your husband would prefer you had no contact with. For whatever reason, even mentioning him makes him angry. If he is as reserved as you say, he may even be more mad than you think.

Time to talk it out!

Old 05-18-2014, 06:46 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
Sounds like something he'll get over quickly.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:50 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
I have a male friend who I've been friends with for maybe 30 years. We had a brief fling about a decade ago that ended for many reasons, including distance, his heavy drinking, and the fact he couldn't be monogamous. But we're still friends who touch base with one another every few months. We're both happily married to other people and everything is fine.

My husband doesn't like him, despite the fact we've gone out out with them once and they've come to a party at our place. My friend is very animated and outgoing and my husband is more reserved and guarded. So generally I keep our friendship to a very minimal level out of respect for my husband's feelings.

A few weeks back he texted me that I was on his short list of people he'd like to visit with soon. I didn't think to mention it to DH, because it wasn't exactly a plan, just general notice. Well, he called last night around 9:00 and left a message, but my phone was off and I didn't hear it till today. All it said was he was going to a mutual friend's house for awhile and would I like to come over to see them? It sounded like he'd had a drink or two.

I mentioned it to my husband this morning, with what I felt was the appropriate amount of annoyance/amusement that the friend would think I'd just go out at that hour and hang out, probably have a drink with them. I start getting ready for bed around that time.

He's been pissy with me ever since. He said people would talk. I never even spoke with my friend!
Your husband is upset that you told him about a text you received that you did not see until this morning, that you did not answer nor accept the invitation?
Is your husband always so sensitive about things that did not happen?

Old 05-18-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Your husband is upset that you told him about a text you received that you did not see until this morning, that you did not answer nor accept the invitation?
Is your husband always so sensitive about things that did not happen?
He can be challenging sometimes. We were having such a lovely weekend up till that point.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I can see where this probably did **** him off.

But you guys should talk about it.

As you know, the "friend" obviously is someone your husband would prefer you had no contact with. For whatever reason, even mentioning him makes him angry. If he is as reserved as you say, he may even be more mad than you think.

Time to talk it out!
He doesn't want to talk about it.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:37 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times
I don't have a solution, but it was something that probably wasn't even worth mentioning in the first place, let alone what you would have done in a different scenario that didn't happen.

I always thought I should tell SO if my ex-husband ever texted me, but I've stopped doing that. I don't tell him about every person I talk to, especially when the conversation is as mundane as when you run into someone you haven't seen in a while and do the polite chit-chat and go on with your day.

It could also be that you would've gone to see your friend and not included your SO. Humans can be funny like that, don't like someone but expect to be included. Since he won't talk to you, it's all guesswork but I'm sorry he's being a bit childish about it all too.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:45 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
Your husband sounds very uptight. Why is he looking for reasons to get mad? Does it make him feel like he's in control?

Old 05-19-2014, 09:48 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
his heavy drinking, and the fact he couldn't be monogamous

he called last night around 9:00 and left a message, It sounded like he'd had a drink or two.

I would have gone to visit them had it been 4:30 in the afternoon.

He said people would talk.
Your husband has seen enough of your "friend" that he doesn't trust him. He's a drunk, and he can't be monogamous. Sure, your husband is supposed to trust you, but then that would mean you should know better than to go over there to see the drunk, who'd been drinking.

He's not happily married if you already know he can't be monogamous and he's still a drunk, and calling you at 9pm.

Wake up; people would definitely talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships