Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 12:47 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,645,123 times

Advertisements

With a new school year ahead going back on the 23rd of this month Time to get back to the grind. I do not know how guys and girls date when working full time and taking two college classes? For me I rather but my nose in a book than putting my nose in well never minds. One thing that is for sure is finish College prerequisites and they are not going to be easy this year.

I am going full blown hunger games on my competition this year and am willing to give up everything to get a 3.8/4.0 this year. That means if I have togive up dating , friends , family , TV, Xbox ,drinking, partying, sports, working out , meeting new people, sleep , sex, going out , and everything I once enjoyed to get to my goals. Living on 3-4 hours of sleep working until I pass out so be it.

This program I am going for is very competitive and some do not have what it takes to get in. One has to want it as bad as one wants to breathe. I am not the only one trying to do what I doing so I have to out work them.

OK now is it a bad idea to become emotionally unavailable and not date? In other words just never ask a girl out on a date? I feel like I should get out there and meet new people and get a bigger social circle. What do I do if I meet a girl I like and want to ask out? I know I should play it as lets hang out and see what happens but I have to tell her school is first right now. I cannot be hanging out with a girl 24/7 when I have studying to do.

I do not know what to do it not like I am 18/20 and have more time. I am turn 30 soon and never had a long term GF before. Due to many factors, I have been pretty far behind the curve when it comes to relationships and sex. Did casual dating a few times when I was in high school/college (as in we go out 1-2 times just for fun, never get physical at all) but didn't date in any form for most of my teen years due to personal issues (mostly due to massive shyness/social-anxiety problems) through school, I was socially awkward and never fit in with anyone's circle. No one would invite me in to their group.

I've managed to turn things around a bit and can talk to anyone. I am a different person now I just had to look at this way no one cares. I did not date until college and went on about 10 to 12 dates with different woman so asking a girl out is not my problem.

The longest I have dated the same girl was probably for about 6 months or so and it wasn't even anything serious. It was a FB kind of thing so when she was done it was over. This is my only sexual partner I know sad for my age but it is what it is.

So, I am at a fork in the road I can give up on dating for now or I can get back in the dating game.
Seeing that I am 30 I should not postpone life /dating but I do need to get good grades.

Do you think if I told a girl hey look I like you and enjoy spending time with you and all. It just that I need to study my tail off and want to take things slow and see what happens. I will make time for you

we just need to make time for each other.

I do not want to lose out a girl that might be the one just because I was to focus on school.
When I feel confident and up beat I notice woman smile at me more and flirt with me more. I have been filling well as of late and cannot wait to go back to school.

My main question is would a girl understand that I am working towards something and can’t be free at a drop of a hat all the time? I will make time for a girl but she has to meet me ½ way sort of speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 12:50 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,666,435 times
No. Someone told me years ago that you can only be fairly good at 2 of the 3. I believe this.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:54 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,645,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
No. Someone told me years ago that you can only be fairly good at 2 of the 3. I believe this.
i am tired of being lonely i be single for so long .

Old 09-12-2013, 01:00 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,548,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
true, and i'm speaking from experience. it you try to have great performances between work, school, and a social life, one will suffer. believe me.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,961,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
i am tired of being lonely i be single for so long .
Date now!
When you get out of school you will be amazed at how much more difficult it is to meet women.
Many people think, when I graduate and get a job, meeting women will be easy!
But for some people it is not, and it sounds like you are not one of those guys that date easily. Therefore, I really really recommend dating now while in college, and there are women you can talk with and date in a non-aggressive atmosphere.

You will seriously kick yourself once you graduate and realize the opportunities you passed on by not dating in college. It will never he easier to date than it is while in college.

But how to work, take classes, and date at the same time? I would recommend letting dating dip into your social time. That means that if you have the option to hang with friends, or go on a date, GO ON THE DATE. Every time. But do keep some sort of social schedule. Friends are important as well, but don't kid yourself to thinking your friends are more important that dating. They should have equal priority, if not value dating a little bit more.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:14 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,468,584 times
School advice: if you have to work that hard to get in a program or to keep up your grades, you might be in the wrong field. For example, I wouldn't waste time on statistics if I wasn't good at math.

Undergraduate classes shouldn't be that difficult. That being said, consider doing a work-study program to supplement your funding. They're often more realistic for full-time students.

Dating: no reason not to date if someone comes along. The key to success is to avoid the hard partying/drinking that so many students enjoy. If you're already academically challenged, no need to impair yourself further. Dating is not that exhausting if you do it right.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:29 AM

34,940 posts, read 36,284,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
School advice: if you have to work that hard to get in a program or to keep up your grades, you might be in the wrong field. For example, I wouldn't waste time on statistics if I wasn't good at math.

Undergraduate classes shouldn't be that difficult. That being said, consider doing a work-study program to supplement your funding. They're often more realistic for full-time students.

Dating: no reason not to date if someone comes along. The key to success is to avoid the hard partying/drinking that so many students enjoy. If you're already academically challenged, no need to impair yourself further. Dating is not that exhausting if you do it right.
This is very good advice.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:45 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,351,693 times
TL. Its difficult, but can be done. But if you have some stiff attitude about it then, no you can't.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:54 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,768,175 times
As a grad student working FT, it is best in my experience to only do 2 out of three. Doing all 3 will cause unnecessary stress.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:04 AM

37,627 posts, read 46,045,092 times
Quote:
I am going full blown hunger games on my competition this year and am willing to give up everything to get a 3.8/4.0 this year. That means if I have togive up dating , friends , family , TV, Xbox ,drinking, partying, sports, working out , meeting new people, sleep , sex, going out , and everything I once enjoyed to get to my goals. Living on 3-4 hours of sleep working until I pass out so be it.
You said it there.

Quote:
I cannot be hanging out with a girl 24/7 when I have studying to do.
Of course you can't.

Quote:
I do not want to lose out a girl that might be the one just because I was to focus on school.
Oy vey. There will always be women. Get your schooling done. That's far more important. FWIW, my son is in college now, in his junior year, and broke up with his GF last year because of the demands of his curriculum. She completely understood. They got back together over the summer, and though they are together this year at school, they have an agreement that their schoolwork absolutely comes first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships