Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 05:10 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,762,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
i for one prefer the attachments of an adult, not the crushes of a child

love, loss, sex and all the rest is part of becoming an adult
Perhaps so, but a person can also be an actual and functioning adult, and still be a virgin, certainly...age is not always an accurate indicator of virginity.

Quote:
not to say a virgin can't have strong and true feelings, but to fetishize them as somehow stronger by definition than everyone else's is just nonsense
I believe that several posters of the thread may have already indicated that they thought this was also the case, though? (i.e., the potential for women to potentially have stronger feelings of attachment for their firsts, as opposed to their later male love interests? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 05:13 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Perhaps so, but a person can also be an actual and functioning adult, and still be a virgin, certainly...age is not always an accurate indicator of virginity.
name a single more accurate predictor of virginity than age that can be applied generally to a population (i.e. not something like "the head nun at catholic convent")

Quote:
I believe that several posters of the thread may have already indicated that they thought this was also the case, though? (i.e., the potential for women to potentially have stronger feelings of attachment for their firsts, as opposed to their later male love interests? )
yeah but they're wrong and i'm right

Old 09-28-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
If you assume that premarital sex was anything less than normal and common in every historical era, including the 20th century, you are very naive.
I was referring to the modern divorce statistics for previously-virginal, married couples, that the preceding poster had cited...not the subject of premarital intimacy itself.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Really? OK, then just imagine this woman really ends up enjoying sex--often and in the most uninhibited ways you can imagine. Is this guy still going to able to see her as "pure"? Or does he expect her to enjoy sex in a more "ladylike" and modest way?
As far as I am concerned, in the case cited above, the man would have no business whatsoever in being judgmental of the woman -- and why would he? It's not a competition certainly, lol -- they love each other, and they have already been intimate together. What rational reason would he have, to be judgmental of her? That would only be cruel and harsh and hypocritical of him anyway, to begin with...

Old 09-28-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
name a single more accurate predictor of virginity than age that can be applied generally to a population (i.e. not something like "the head nun at catholic convent")
Correlation does not equal causation, though (Somehow I think may have been a reason that a certain movie called "The 40-Year Old Virgin" was made, in the first place )

Old 09-28-2013, 05:20 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Thanks, Knight .

Quote:
Technically, it really doesn't, TBH....but at the same time though, is a woman still also going to feel the same level of emotional attachment to a guy, after she had her first time previously with another guy in the past?

I have been romantically attracted to both madonna-type females, as well as non-madonna type females...and I treated them 100% and exactly the same; I absolutely never played favorites with anyone, and never even once treated the madonnas as though they were better than the non-madonnas. Love is love, and they were fully-equal to me, in my eyes.
You have answered your own question: love is love. First love is not stronger than later love, not by a long shot. Last love might be the strongest .

Quote:
What I am not 100% sure of and was kinda wondering about myself though is if non-madonnas can also become as easily attached as madonnas, to a serious male love interest...
The reason this is puzzling you is that you are thinking that madonnas and non-madonnas actually exist, outside of your imagination. That's what I meant by an imaginary universe.

The reality is that women are like men -- they all are part madonna and part not.

You know how a guy can hold his newborn baby and cuddle and coo and be allover nurturing and loving? And that same guy can go to a bachelor party at a strip club the next week and enjoy himself? That's how real life women (not the women in your imagination) are. They are sweet and raunchy all of them. If you haven't seen both aspects of a woman, it's because she has not shown them to you. It's not because they are not there.

Yes, I am talking about your grandma, and your sister, and the wh*re outside the 7/11 -- who is working hard to feed her beloved grandbaby.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:26 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:
Anyone who thinks this simply does not know very many women well enough to ask them about such topics .

Women feel exactly the way men do about their first partners -- sometimes there is love involved, sometimes it is just friendship, sometimes not even that.

One difference is that, for women, there is a pretty high statistical rate of the first time being nonconsensual to one degree or another. That does not exactly lead to love.

But even with consensual sex, the chances that a woman's first lover is the Great Love of Her Life is very slim -- probably less than with any subsequent partner.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:26 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,584 times
Quote:
Correlation does not equal causation, though (Somehow I think may have been a reason that a certain movie called "The 40-Year Old Virgin" was made, in the first place )
that's why i used the word "predictor". prediction can be done without a causal relationship. i'm always careful when it comes to stats

also note i didn't call it a "good" predictor. i just asked if there was a better one

Old 09-28-2013, 05:40 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
OP, you have got the madonna/wh*re complex all wrong.

The idea isn't that men prefer one or the other. The idea is that men think women can be divided into these two categories. Which is ridiculous.

When a man has this psychological disability, where he thinks women can be divided into 'madonnas' and 'wh*res', then he wants both. One to marry, have sex with only until she gets pregnant, and then the other for his real lover.

He 'loves' the wife, but he is not sexually attracted to her, and he banks on her not being attracted to him either (so she won't be trying to get him to sleep with her, because of course the sex is terrible).

It's not about choosing. It's about seeing women as stereotypes and not as complete human beings like men are, who can love the kids and love sex.
Yes spot on and it is dangerous.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:11 PM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
i for one prefer the attachments of an adult, not the crushes of a child

love, loss, sex and all the rest is part of becoming an adult

not to say a virgin can't have strong and true feelings, but to fetishize them as somehow stronger by definition than everyone else's is just nonsense
Exactly! I completely agree 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships