Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:59 AM

396 posts, read 1,851,763 times

Advertisements

I'm a single guy. Part of my job duties is to make deposits twice a week at the bank. Our company's bank requires that I use a branch with business vault because the deposits always include very large amounts of paper currency (above the limits for most tellers to accept), plus a hefty amount of coins. The vault section is a completely private area away from the rest of the customers.

Three weeks ago, a new lady started working as the full-time teller in the business vault. The first time I saw her I think she was checking me out. Also, she's made conversation over the past weeks that is beyond business polite interaction. I feel chemistry and want to ask her out.

If I ask her out and she says no, then that will be awkward for me to see her twice every week. Some could say it's not that big of a deal, but it compromises the business relationship: Sometimes the deposit amounts are shorted because of counting machine error or human mistake, and I have to be assertive in having an entire re-count performed. Then the supervisor gets called to monitor the recount and/or view the security footage of the entire transaction if there still is a dispute. It would be embarrassing if the teller said "He's just being petty because I turned down a date with him."

If I ask her out and she says yes, then I would have to start using a different branch to avoid the conflict of interest (mentioned above). However, the nearest branch that has a business vault is 21 miles away. Or I would have to start timing the deposits when she was on her lunch break and the supervisor is covering the business vault. But: the deposits are not received & prepared by me until mid afternoon at the earliest. And I can't keep that amount of cash in our office safe overnight until her next lunch break! (I'm the only one at my office authorized to handle the deposits).

Should I ask out this bank teller or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 09:02 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
If I were in your shoes, single and all that, I believe I would ask her out.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:28 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Sounds like you'd be damned if she rejected you and double-damned if she accepted. No, I wouldn't ask her out. If she happens to transfer out of the vault area, then you could date without creating a conflict of interest.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:29 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
OP, you must be one of those people who thrive on drama and conflict. Perhaps you like to set yourself up for major failure options. like loss of your job do to exhibiting poor judgment.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
I would rather ask than miss the opportunity. You do not have to ask her out to an overly romantic evening. Something simple (lunch, coffee, whatever).

If she says she is not interested, yes you will feel a little rejection but your still just walking in to do deposit business. The awkward feeling will disappear in a week.

If she says yes, you would probably only need to plan a different deposit location if something grew out of it. Worry about it then. Maybe a different teller could handle you at that location on those days.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:35 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Why go into a no win situation? Doesn't make sense.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:36 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
I'm a single guy. Part of my job duties is to make deposits twice a week at the bank. Our company's bank requires that I use a branch with business vault because the deposits always include very large amounts of paper currency (above the limits for most tellers to accept), plus a hefty amount of coins. The vault section is a completely private area away from the rest of the customers.

Three weeks ago, a new lady started working as the full-time teller in the business vault. The first time I saw her I think she was checking me out. Also, she's made conversation over the past weeks that is beyond business polite interaction. I feel chemistry and want to ask her out.

If I ask her out and she says no, then that will be awkward for me to see her twice every week. Some could say it's not that big of a deal, but it compromises the business relationship: Sometimes the deposit amounts are shorted because of counting machine error or human mistake, and I have to be assertive in having an entire re-count performed. Then the supervisor gets called to monitor the recount and/or view the security footage of the entire transaction if there still is a dispute. It would be embarrassing if the teller said "He's just being petty because I turned down a date with him."

If I ask her out and she says yes, then I would have to start using a different branch to avoid the conflict of interest (mentioned above). However, the nearest branch that has a business vault is 21 miles away. Or I would have to start timing the deposits when she was on her lunch break and the supervisor is covering the business vault. But: the deposits are not received & prepared by me until mid afternoon at the earliest. And I can't keep that amount of cash in our office safe overnight until her next lunch break! (I'm the only one at my office authorized to handle the deposits).

I used to be a teller and I handled the commercial/affluent clients so I saw the same customers every day. Our conversations were very casual because I knew my clients (talk about weekend plans, vactions, those sort of things). I've turned down customers and for a while it was a bit uncomfortable when I had to take care of them. I actually had one get really upset and he started waiting for the regular tellers.

I would not advise asking her out.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:04 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
I know many relationships start in the workplace or through work but my attitude is keep work seperate from personal life. There's crazy people out there if you guys breakup is she gonna try to ********* over and get you in trouble either with deposits or with the company. Probably paranoia and crazy thinking there but stranger things have happenned. Basically it seems like a difficult situation either way.Either you aks her out she turns you down and future interactions are awkward or you ask her out annd now you either a have to plan bank runs which in business you can't always plan when you're going to be needing to deposit and I'm sure your company wouldn't appreciate you having to waste time going 21 mile out of your way because you think the bank teller is cute and want to take her out for a beer.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:15 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
No, I would find somebody different

Old 10-21-2013, 10:24 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
dont mix business with pleasure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships