Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 11:27 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,746,293 times

Advertisements

I was in this situation for a couple years. I was helping my father who had advanced stage cancer and dementia for 2 years. I moved out of state to help take care of him. He passed away and I moved back to where I was living before. Now I have to explain the last 2 years to dates. It's uncomfortable to talk to people I don't know about this. But it's also odd to not talk about the last two years. It just seems too personal to bring up on a first or second date and at the same time I don't want to say it and be a downer. I guess I don't know how to fit it in to convo, without making the date depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 04:05 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,487,638 times
How is it brought up? If you asked a girl out she would have no idea that you had not dated in 2 years unless the subject was brought up. If you are in a position where you have to say something about the past 2 yrs. you could simply say you were caretaking a relative and leave it at that, no need for any drawn out story at that point.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:29 AM

529 posts, read 702,509 times
Yeah, why would you need to tell someone when you last dated? It's not an employment application, where you have to list your dating resume and explain all gaps.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:10 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I was in this situation for a couple years. I was helping my father who had advanced stage cancer and dementia for 2 years. I moved out of state to help take care of him. He passed away and I moved back to where I was living before. Now I have to explain the last 2 years to dates. It's uncomfortable to talk to people I don't know about this. But it's also odd to not talk about the last two years. It just seems too personal to bring up on a first or second date and at the same time I don't want to say it and be a downer. I guess I don't know how to fit it in to convo, without making the date depressing.
Why? I don't get it.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:02 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
You don't have to explain it until it comes up naturally.

What you've been doing is a lot like being at home with a baby. When someone is completely dependent on you, you can't just go out to the club every night.

In fact, what you've been doing is honorable. It's not like you were incarcerated. If someone asks, just say something like, "I haven't dated in a while because I was the primary caregiver for my dad before he passed away."

Only a jerk would see that as a negative.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:46 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,013,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You don't have to explain it until it comes up naturally.

What you've been doing is a lot like being at home with a baby. When someone is completely dependent on you, you can't just go out to the club every night.

In fact, what you've been doing is honorable. It's not like you were incarcerated. If someone asks, just say something like, "I haven't dated in a while because I was the primary caregiver for my dad before he passed away."

Only a jerk would see that as a negative.
Exactly. I did this for my mom when she was dying from cancer and when it did come up it wasn't a problem. If a woman had found it to be one it still wouldn't have been a problem because she wouldn't have been someone I wanted to be with.

I can't know your loss but I do know how painful it was to go through this process with my mom, I'm sorry.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:05 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
I don't think you should feel "obligated" to explain the last two years to your dates at all.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:10 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:

No.
You don't.

Why do you feel that you have to?
I would think that since you feel the need to talk, you should be talking to a counselor, not your dates.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:29 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,947 times
Dude, being with Dad in his last days is a noble act. Women love that kind of stuff.

She'll be like aaaaaaaaaaaaaaww, and you can bed her in the next date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships