Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 11:08 AM

448 posts, read 764,599 times

Advertisements

This is similar to something else I brought up but not really the same thing in practice.

I am a somewhat flirty guy I'd say. If I'm talking to a new girl I'm probably going to flirt a little to see if she's interested. I tend to get numbers, break the "touch barrier" and whatnot when meeting new girls.

Most the time these girls probably think I'm hitting on them some but its not really blatant. For the most part its because I do this to every girl and so I'm not really interested in most of them. I'm sure a lot of these girls at least think I might be interested in them though. Honestly part of why I do this is to practice talking to/hitting on women. It is something I used to have trouble with.

So is that mean to them? Do they feel played? Would you feel played? I could probably ask them but that would be weird. If this is bad I could stop but I'd honestly rather not.

To give you an example of what I mean I've met a lot of girls where I complement them to get the conversation going. We then have some pointless banter. I touch her shoulder/hand/arm something appropriate. I get her number, and from that point on we're friends and I bring her parties and what not but I never really make any moves.

EDT: Also I'm not looking to hook up with any of these chicks or do some FWB deal. Its not my style and honestly, no offence to them, they aren't really attractive enough for me to want that and that's why they are my friend not my girlfriend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 11:14 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Going the other way, I have known plenty of flirty women who are not necessarily hitting on guys they get a little flirty with. I would think they would understand the same happens in return.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:15 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Going the other way, I have known plenty of flirty women who are not necessarily hitting on guys they get a little flirty with. I would think they would understand the same happens in return.
Guilty. But for the record - I have kind of a flirty personality. I'm probably flirty with women, too. I've gotten better about it as I've gotten older but I just have a bubbly, giggly personality. And I'm also a touchy feely person.

Oh - but I didn't get people's phone numbers and such. Well, I used to when I was a teen but not since then.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:16 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetTroll View Post
This is similar to something else I brought up but not really the same thing in practice.

I am a somewhat flirty guy I'd say. If I'm talking to a new girl I'm probably going to flirt a little to see if she's interested. I tend to get numbers, break the "touch barrier" and whatnot when meeting new girls.

Most the time these girls probably think I'm hitting on them some but its not really blatant. For the most part its because I do this to every girl and so I'm not really interested in most of them. I'm sure a lot of these girls at least think I might be interested in them though. Honestly part of why I do this is to practice talking to/hitting on women. It is something I used to have trouble with.

So is that mean to them? Do they feel played? Would you feel played? I could probably ask them but that would be weird. If this is bad I could stop but I'd honestly rather not.

To give you an example of what I mean I've met a lot of girls where I complement them to get the conversation going. We then have some pointless banter. I touch her shoulder/hand/arm something appropriate. I get her number, and from that point on we're friends and I bring her parties and what not but I never really make any moves.

EDT: Also I'm not looking to hook up with any of these chicks or do some FWB deal. Its not my style and honestly, no offence to them, they aren't really attractive enough for me to want that and that's why they are my friend not my girlfriend.
Doesn't seem like a problem at all in my eyes. I sometimes get numbers just to prove it to myself lol

Old 10-23-2013, 11:16 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,040,540 times
If you don't have any intention of dating them, I would not touch them or ask for their number. I think that's taking flirting too far and is misleading.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
If you don't have any intention of dating them, I would not touch them or ask for their number. I think that's taking flirting too far and is misleading.
Ok, I do end up being some kind of friends with most these girls though. I will see them after I get their number, we're usually just not that close.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:24 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:
Ok, I do end up being some kind of friends with most these girls though. I will see them after I get their number, we're usually just not that close.

Yeah, but even if you have intentions of something serious.. chances are you're not going to be close or that it won't work out.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:25 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Quote:
Do you think that might be because you misrepresented your intentions? If you're flirting and getting their number and then asking them to a party, they're going to think it's a date and that you're interested in them. When that doesn't pan out, are they going to want to stay in close contact with you?

Old 10-23-2013, 11:29 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,522,377 times
Quote:

I agree with this. Flirting with anyone is cool, but when you ask them out, or start touching them or even kiss them, that crosses the line, because the person at the point would really believe you are into them. But just being silly, kidding around and stuff like that...harmless fun.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Do you think that might be because you misrepresented your intentions? If you're flirting and getting their number and then asking them to a party, they're going to think it's a date and that you're interested in them. When that doesn't pan out, are they going to want to stay in close contact with you?
So they might think the party invite is a date? Interesting, I would never consider a party a date. I don't think I've ever done something I would consider a date with these girls, but maybe they thought it was. Though I usually turn it way down and they don't seem to be flirty with me at all after the first interaction. I mean I'm not coming on very strong in the first place, I'm not picking them up like bar chicks.

I'd say most the time if I've managed to get their number, and take them somewhere with friends then we end up being acquaintances. They are very rarely my close friends though, but that makes sense given we usually don't have all that much in common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships