Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 09:23 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times

Advertisements

Although I do have manners and posses a somewhat content spirit, I'm not exactly an entertainer sort of person. I'm not very comfortable with flirting either, in addition to being timid. My sense of humor is an uncommon sort too, providing only an occasional laugh, and giving a mere chuckle at the detection of most jokes.

People close to me say that it took them a while before they realized I'm someone they want to be friends with.

Another thing is, what I find interesting and fun and entertaining is found boring by most others.

In addition, my voice has been described as that of an old man.

I've thought about watching football (handegg) since that seems to be the rage these days for the young folks, but I can't really be arsed to pay for cable.

....If a man were to mold his personality to make himself dateable, which specific attributes should his certain parts of personality have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 09:35 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Don't change who you are only to fit what you think others want. That's not genuine.

People want to be able to share some of their hobbies and interests when in relationships. You need to have some things in common. I don't know what your "boring" hobbies are but if they're singular and/or isolating activities, you may need to broaden your interests. I wouldn't watch football if it doesn't interest you but something new that you like or are passionate about will help in connecting and relating to others.

You don't need to be an entertainer, but if you're timid, that will be the biggest thing holding you back and I'd focus on working on becoming less timid before anything else.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:41 AM

117 posts, read 142,168 times
The answer depends on what a person is really looking for...'good personality' might have different definitions according to the individual.

I think things would be better if so many people (or the majority?) didn´t find it so convenient to put millions, billion of people in a single box, put a label with "monolithic entity" written on it and call it a day.

You´ll find there isn´t a right or wrong answer to your question, it depends on the individual.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:43 AM

589 posts, read 639,200 times
It means they want the person they're physically attracted to having a good personality.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:43 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I used to think my hobbies and interests were boring too, which was leading to a lack of dating success.

When I first met my wife, I was amazed to find out that she felt I was very interesting, and did a lot of intertesting things.

Instead of changing myself, I learned that I was just not identifing others who had similar interests.

Now, I see you mentioned people often comment that it takes a while to get to know you, and that you do not reveal yuorself quickly. This could turn some people away. I do not wish to imply you should be an open book, but you may want to be a little more forthcoming when meeting people initially. If you are, they will see you as more open and welcoming, since your willing to talk and reveal things.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:45 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,992,967 times
What are some interests that both men and women have in common?

Old 10-23-2013, 09:56 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Just about everything! From sports, to working out, to cooking, to auto mechanics, to photography, etc. Do you think there are only male and female interests?

Old 10-23-2013, 09:58 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post

Most everything if you find the right people of the opposite gender. My wife and I enjoy working out together, walks, same taste in movies, same taste in furniture, same interest in travel, we both enjoy watching the same sports and many many other things.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:05 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I'm just guessing, but they probably mean that they would prefer to date someone who has a good personality. That would be the most obvious interpretation, so that is usually going to be what they meant.

OP, if you have the voice of a little old man and you are not a little old man, I suggest that you make an appointment with a nose and throat expert (physician) and have your throat checked to make sure you don't have something wrong. Growth on you vocal cords? Scarring of the throat? Just go ahead and get checked to be on the safe side.

If it takes time for people to get to know you, hang put where groups with common interests congregate and where there are women. Be yourself and the women will eventually realize that you are a good guy. This theory that some of the losers on here have that you either get that date within the first 24 hours or you are friend-zoned is nothing but a crock of hooey. Decent women want to study a man for a bit before they decide.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:17 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,992,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Just about everything! From sports, to working out, to cooking, to auto mechanics, to photography, etc. Do you think there are only male and female interests?
Not at all, but I do know some interests lean more heavily toward one sex or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships