Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 11:57 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,102,524 times

Advertisements

Of ocurse thats why i prefer attractive people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 12:19 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Well have you in your life time? Did it work out?
Yes, I have, and no, it didn't work out in the end. Opposites may attract, but similarities makes for better long term compatibility.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:41 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Of ocurse thats why i prefer attractive people
I see what you did there.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Yes, I have, and no, it didn't work out in the end. Opposites may attract, but similarities makes for better long term compatibility.
From my experience in May I agree with you. Opposites don't work.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:44 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Well have you in your life time? Did it work out?
My wife... We are complete opposites and yet we found ourselves always gravitating towards each other. I basically married my best friend.. whether or not that is a good thing... not sure. Been with each other 20 years, married 14. Most of it has been outstanding... However, we've been going through a rough patch recently. Can't say if it has anything to do with being opposite.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
My wife... We are complete opposites and yet we found ourselves always gravitating towards each other. I basically married my best friend.. whether or not that is a good thing... not sure. Been with each other 20 years, married 14. Most of it has been outstanding... However, we've been going through a rough patch recently. Can't say if it has anything to do with being opposite.
I'm sorry usayit......

Hope it gets better.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:01 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times
My fiancé is opposite of me as we're from different cultures but we are pretty much the same underneath. So I guess I don't really think we're opposites where it really counts because we're very much like minded and see eye to eye on pretty much everything.

I have dated people that were truly opposite of me and no it didn't work out. It was like we were always battling and now that I'm with someone who's more like me, it is such a breath of fresh air to be with someone who just gets you.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:34 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,192,716 times
I have been attracted to men with some opposite traits to me.

1. I am shy. The guys I like tend to confident and forward.
2. I am quiet, a few of the guys I liked have be more vocal
3. I am no taller than 5'2. Guys I liked have been at least 5'7.

But just basic stuff like that. Otherwise, if we're total opposites and have hardly anything in common, it may not work out too well. So shared interests and beliefs probably need to be there.

Last edited by HappyRain; 09-13-2015 at 06:42 PM..

Old 09-13-2015, 07:11 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
I'm sorry usayit......

Hope it gets better.
Thanks. I am hopeful... one day at a time.

A little more along the lines of this topic.

* I'm an introvert (not shy), my wife is an extrovert (yet shy)
* Along the same lines, social gatherings I start out pretty energetic but run out of steam quickly. She's likes to hang out in the background but ends up being the social butterfly by the end of the night.
* I could spend hours in solitude with one of my many hobbies. She thrives off of social interaction with friends.
* I'm an early riser. She could stay in bed to 1pm if allowed to.
* I've had a pretty extensive sexual past. My wife was a virgin when we met.
* I'm a sucker for the petite spunky women. My wife is taller than I. She's a bit more quiet.
* She likes taller white clean cut men. I'm a shorter and of asian descent. There's a picture of her showing off her white sneakers under her wedding dress... lol
* She has a tendency to shut down in arguments or when confronted. I get more aggressive. We spent a good chunk of our friendship helping each other; Me to be less aggressive and more constructive with my temper. Her to overcome her anxieties and self-esteem issues stemming from an abusive father.
* I love all sorts of food of different ethnicities. She's pretty much sticks to the typical American and Italian foods. Consequently, I like to cook. Cooking for her is a necessity not something she does for enjoyment.
* I am known to be a rational and pragmatic individual. She likes to follow her heart and idealistic.
* I tend to be blunt with people. She likes to sugar coat everything (going back to being non-confrontational).
* She is a connector of people. Meaning she establishes connections between groups of people that normally wouldn't connect or creates groups of people with common interests. I'm a person that integrates well with all sorts of groups of people... but I'm not the one to create "new" connections.
* I'm the serious one... too serious by some of my friends account. I hide my emotions. My wife is the laid back one... she shares her feelings and thoughts to people she trusts.

We are aligned in what our goals were for family and financial. We both wanted children and didn't want to leave this world with a single child with no siblings. All of our friends do say we are the go to couple to lean on with personal problems. We are both good listeners and dependable in a time of need; albeit for different reasons.

Our relationship was unexpected and odd but it felt natural to us. We lived together (roommates), did chores together, shopped, ate, went on trips together... even as I was dating another (my previous GF is a very important person in my life that accepted her role.. didn't challenge it). I've been blessed with two very understanding women to fall in love with. Our friends and family just simply started to assume we were a couple once my relationship ended with my previous GF. They all said "It was about time!" when we announced our engagement. I guess we learned to live with the differences and appreciate them.

PS> We gave birth to twins.. both boys but fraternal. They are about as opposite as well. One is more like me (but looks like her) The other is more like her (but looks more like me). Its a running joke in our family. Even their food intolerance are not the same.... which means we cook two different meals for them.. unfortunately.

Last edited by usayit; 09-13-2015 at 07:20 PM..

Old 09-13-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Thanks. I am hopeful... one day at a time.

A little more along the lines of this topic.

* I'm an introvert (not shy), my wife is an extrovert (yet shy)
* Along the same lines, social gatherings I start out pretty energetic but run out of steam quickly. She's likes to hang out in the background but ends up being the social butterfly by the end of the night.
* I could spend hours in solitude with one of my many hobbies. She thrives off of social interaction with friends.
* I'm an early riser. She could stay in bed to 1pm if allowed to.
* I've had a pretty extensive sexual past. My wife was a virgin when we met.
* I'm a sucker for the petite spunky women. My wife is taller than I. She's a bit more quiet.
* She likes taller white clean cut men. I'm a shorter and of asian descent. There's a picture of her showing off her white sneakers under her wedding dress... lol
* She has a tendency to shut down in arguments or when confronted. I get more aggressive. We spent a good chunk of our friendship helping each other; Me to be less aggressive and more constructive with my temper. Her to overcome her anxieties and self-esteem issues stemming from an abusive father.
* I love all sorts of food of different ethnicities. She's pretty much sticks to the typical American and Italian foods. Consequently, I like to cook. Cooking for her is a necessity not something she does for enjoyment.
* I am known to be a rational and pragmatic individual. She likes to follow her heart and idealistic.
* I tend to be blunt with people. She likes to sugar coat everything (going back to being non-confrontational).
* She is a connector of people. Meaning she establishes connections between groups of people that normally wouldn't connect or creates groups of people with common interests. I'm a person that integrates well with all sorts of groups of people... but I'm not the one to create "new" connections.
* I'm the serious one... too serious by some of my friends account. I hide my emotions. My wife is the laid back one... she shares her feelings and thoughts to people she trusts.

We are aligned in what our goals were for family and financial. We both wanted children and didn't want to leave this world with a single child with no siblings. All of our friends do say we are the go to couple to lean on with personal problems. We are both good listeners and dependable in a time of need; albeit for different reasons.

Our relationship was unexpected and odd but it felt natural to us. We lived together (roommates), did chores together, shopped, ate, went on trips together... even as I was dating another (my previous GF is a very important person in my life that accepted her role.. didn't challenge it). I've been blessed with two very understanding women to fall in love with. Our friends and family just simply started to assume we were a couple once my relationship ended with my previous GF. They all said "It was about time!" when we announced our engagement. I guess we learned to live with the differences and appreciate them.
I think for the most part you seem good together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships