Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 01:18 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,539,630 times

Advertisements

Just to get over the semantics, for Japanese, those who first immigrated were considered Issei, first generation born here Nisei and children on Nisei are Sansei. If you're familiar with Japanese numbering, that would be 1st, 2nd and 3rd generations.

Issei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree with Pitt Chick, that most immigrants tend to live in the same area, so many first born here married other first born of other immigrants or even new immigrants. IMO, I don't think the dating pool would be any better in your home country as while the pool would be bigger, so is the pool of competition. In one sense, it would slightly be better here because there would be some who would date outside their "racial pool."

Now for second generation born here, the dating pool would be much worse back in the home country. First, you'd be assimilated here and would not be fully connected to the culture. Language would be a barrier for most. Time here favors you as you become assimilated, becoming part of everyday life. While there will many who won't date "outside," there will be more who are willing. This can be confirmed by the increase in interracial marriages over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 01:49 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,848,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yes, I have. Great guy, wonderful sense of humor, great big loving extended family that was always cheerful and ready to party. Fabulous people, every one of them.
Good. Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
IMO, I don't think the dating pool would be any better in your home country as while the pool would be bigger, so is the pool of competition. In one sense, it would slightly be better here because there would be some who would date outside their "racial pool."

Now for second generation born here, the dating pool would be much worse back in the home country. First, you'd be assimilated here and would not be fully connected to the culture. Language would be a barrier for most. Time here favors you as you become assimilated, becoming part of everyday life. While there will many who won't date "outside," there will be more who are willing. This can be confirmed by the increase in interracial marriages over the years.
Yea. There's competition there, but you missed a point. I'm higher on the looks scale, and the height scale over there and I wouldn't be eliminated by anybody (almost nobody at least) based on race alone.

Here in the states, I would say race takes me out of the running maybe 70% of time? Maybe more, I dunno? That's a huge chunk of your pool.

Anyway, it's all hypothetical anyway.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:34 PM

330 posts, read 544,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Here in the states, I would say race takes me out of the running maybe 70% of time? Maybe more, I dunno?
How do you even know that´s the reason?
What exactly is your ethnicity/race, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 11-15-2013, 02:34 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,539,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Yea. There's competition there, but you missed a point. I'm higher on the looks scale, and the height scale over there and I wouldn't be eliminated by anybody (almost nobody at least) based on race alone.

Here in the states, I would say race takes me out of the running maybe 70% of time? Maybe more, I dunno? That's a huge chunk of your pool.

Anyway, it's all hypothetical anyway.
You're missing the point too. You'd have the problem of being a foreigner, but not looking like one. You'd resemble a native, but you wouldn't talk or act like one. That would place you in a more difficult position than a Caucasian, who is different, but is expected to be different. Yes, you would have some attraction as a free ticket to the U.S.

Frankly, personal preferences will take you out of the running 80-90% of the time. Yes, race can be part of it, but other preferences will be a factor. My preference is for brunettes (that's what my wife is), but if I was single, I'd consider other hair colors and races as personality is more important to me.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:25 PM

324 posts, read 440,953 times
Post a pic of your self dude save us the trouble speculating .... jeezz when do people ever learn

Old 11-17-2013, 08:57 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,197,026 times
Being an Asian dude has gotta suck because your at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to dating.

Well at least theyre smart

Old 11-17-2013, 12:02 PM

324 posts, read 440,953 times
Not true brad...not true ..

Old 11-17-2013, 05:24 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,219 times
There's actually truth in this thread. Here's an interesting statistical analysis about race and online dating that I think has a ton of external validity and can be applied to the real world of dating. I've never tried online dating, but the trends discussed here I've noticed in my real life experience, as a black female, and the experiences of my male and female friends who are of various racial and cultural backgrounds.

How Your Race Affects The Messages You Get « OkTrends

Are you looking to date a white woman? Or just to find a suitable person in general?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships