Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 10:21 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times

Advertisements

I love a man in a uniform.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 10:36 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
I hated the Corps and like lillyflower stated, I knew that if the Marine Corps had wanted me to have a wife, it would have issued me one. I heard that quite a lot. If I remember correctly, one had to get permission to marry from the C.O. Hence, I didn't want to be with a woman who was in the military, be dragged all over the globe, and expose my children to military life.

Thanks for reading,
bolillo

"one had to get permission to marry from the C.O." Really? I didn't know that.

I've been exposed to Marine Corps life ever since I was 11. I loved the Marine Corps and Marine Corps culture. Military life is not for everybody, and it is okay. I do believe that for an active duty Marine (especially for the Recons), relationship is just too much.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:33 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Men In Uniform Irresistable - YouTube

Old 11-21-2013, 09:23 AM

Definitely my favorite uniform on earth!

No. 1

2012 Marine Corps Birthday Message: "For Honor, For Country" HIGH DEF - YouTube

Old 11-21-2013, 09:31 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
My ex-husband is a former AD Marine (EAS'd in Aug). We were together for 10 years. I don't have anything negative to say, to be honest. I appreciated and admired a lot about the culture. It was a good "lifestyle." I was raised around the Corps (father also a former AD Marine), so it was something I was accustomed to.

It really depends on the couple as to the success of the relationship, as with any relationship. It works for some and doesn't work for others.

The two gentlemen I'm talking to now, one is a former AD Marine (EAS'd a couple years ago) and the other is an AD Marine. I have dated a good many military or former military. However, rarely are they my type.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:38 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
what is/was your relationship like being with a firefighter, policeman, military etc?

i usually hear crazy soap opera type stories, i sometimes sympathize with their companions.
I'm extremely independent, so it's easy for me. No soap operas here. In fact, their response to "how was your day, honey?" is often good fodder for short stories (names changed to protect the guilty, of course).

The only time I find it trying is when people get up there and start bashing those who are in such roles. Then we're going to have a problem, because most people who open their yaps to denigrate firefighters, LEOs, and military personnel have never lived with one or been in an LTR with one. Walk a mile, people. Walk a mile. But even then, the problem is with other people, not the person I'm dating. It does partly explain a certain insularity in the firefighter, law enforcement, and military communities, though. You either get it or you don't.

However, at this point in my life, I'm not sure I'd commit to a military man again unless he was about to retire. I'm independent enough that a six-month or year-long deployment would have me thinking, "why bother?" Not sure I'd want to move around a lot now, either, and I definitely would not want to live overseas.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:43 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I personally never really thought I'd ever want to get into a relationship with someone in the military, was pretty sure the lifestyle wouldn't be for me, assumed differences in politics would be a sticking point, and wasn't sure I'd be nuts about the idea of possibly not being able to put down roots.

I had no close family experience with the military that affected me directly (my WWII vet grandfather died when I was an infant, my dad was Army Reserve, and finished with his enlistment time before I was born, and I have several Marine Corps member cousins to whom I am not particularly close and spent very little time around). It wasn't a lifestyle I was especially exposed to or had much information regarding to go on.

I didn't even meet my fiance until my midthirties, well into my adult life, and had never dated anybody in the military, apart from a few dates in my twenties with an AF TSgt. who was from my hometown and home for a few weeks in between assignments and bored.

When I met my fiance and got to know him, I realized that my assumptions were wrong. I like the lifestyle, there is no difference in our political views, and to be honest, I never really did set down roots anywhere in adulthood, so the potential for moving around is fine by me. Moving around is something I've been doing, anyway, and honestly, it's a whole heck of a lot easier when the military is PCSing you. Easiest moves of my life, so far.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:48 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I personally never really thought I'd ever want to get into a relationship with someone in the military, was pretty sure the lifestyle wouldn't be for me, assumed differences in politics would be a sticking point, and wasn't sure I'd be nuts about the idea of possibly not being able to put down roots.
About politics, I had the same concerns. But nope. With one exception, I seem to attract all the closet social liberals. I always tell my SO to be nice to me, or I'm going to tell his family he voted for Obama.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac110 View Post
about politics, i had the same concerns. But nope. With one exception, i seem to attract all the closet social liberals. i always tell my so to be nice to me, or i'm going to tell his family he voted for obama. :d
lol :d:d:d

Old 11-21-2013, 09:57 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
My fiance's family would be astounded if he WEREN'T a card-carrying liberal. He plays it fairly close to the vest with work people, until he gets a read on them, though. But, yeah, not everyone in the military is conservative, turns out... live and learn...

I do know that from even my fairly limited contact with other milspouses out there that there are a lot of women who will always be a ton more "hooh-rah" than I am or will ever be. But, a lot of them married into the military quite young, have been ensconced and steeped in military tradition from a pretty early age, and it's been their lives since they were practically kids, so there's a very big divide between myself and them, in that regard. I find that politics come up much more often with spouses than with those actually serving, in fact. I just sidestep it, as my social occasions with other milspouses have thus far been fairly infrequent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships