Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 08:08 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,650 times

Advertisements

I find it odd you said the marriage "worked" but is ending in divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 08:12 AM

50 posts, read 143,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
I find it odd you said the marriage "worked" but is ending in divorce.
It ended recently but as you imagine, they stayed together for 41 years so it had to work out for a lot of years.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonzoGia View Post
It ended recently but as you imagine, they stayed together for 41 years so it had to work out for a lot of years.
So the marriage didn't work. Their relationship worked for 41 years until your father got bored. I guess you could call that one a success.

Anyways, lots of opposites attract. My boyfriend is easy going and I'm the one who always takes charge in our personal decisions. He's loud and I'm quiet. He loves sports and I hate them. He loves the TV on at breakfast and I don't. There is really nothing "common" between our personalities. We like a lot of the same things (movies, exercise, food, books, vacations) but our personalities are VERY different. I'd say this is quite common. My father and my stepmother before she passed were two peas in a pod, but different people.

My grandparents were married their whole lives, very different people.

I'd say it's quite common. Until someone gets bored and wants someone younger. Not sure that's a definition of a successful marriage though.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
So the marriage didn't work. Their relationship worked for 41 years until your father got bored. I guess you could call that one a success.

I'd say it's quite common. Until someone gets bored and wants someone younger. Not sure that's a definition of a successful marriage though.

Well, people don't have to stay attached forever if they don't want to. He was honest and told her he wanted to change his life. He could have cheated.

I always urge my mother to go out and meet other men as well.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonzoGia View Post
Well, people don't have to stay attached forever if they don't want to. He was honest and told her he wanted to change his life. He could have cheated.

I always urge my mother to go out and meet other men as well.
I didn't say they DID. To me, the definition of a marriage "working" is death do us part. You parents parted before death. Their marriage did not "work". I'm not sure of your religion or personal beliefs in marriage, but a marriage doesn't work whether you divorce 4 years later or 40. My parents are divorced, were married almost 30 years, and I would not say their marriage "worked". It failed. They were a couple for 30 years.

It's good they were both honest. That's commendable. It sounds like they had a lot of happy years together.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I didn't say they DID. To me, the definition of a marriage "working" is death do us part. You parents parted before death. Their marriage did not "work". I'm not sure of your religion or personal beliefs in marriage, but a marriage doesn't work whether you divorce 4 years later or 40. My parents are divorced, were married almost 30 years, and I would not say their marriage "worked". It failed. They were a couple for 30 years.

It's good they were both honest. That's commendable. It sounds like they had a lot of happy years together.
A separation doesn't necessarily mean the marriage was a failure. By that line of thinking almost every marriage is a failure these days. What dictates if it's a success or a failure is what happened throughout the years, whether it was 10 or 40 years.

I'm sure they had very good togethers, I hardly remember them fighting.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:54 PM

He actually called her today saying they have to meet to discuss the divorce details. She has a hard time accepting it.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:03 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Men can do this, pretty much they think women are spare parts and interchangeable. As long as the next woman cooks, cleans, has sex, your Dad will probably be oblivious to the rest.

Sorry for your Mom, she must feel devastated.

Your Dad could care less. I was married to someone much like that for 20 years, I finally realized he cared about no one but himself. I was the one to leave, much to his dismay. He replaced me, but he keeps losing his Barbies....as will your Dad.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
My parents are opposite in various personality traits, but on exactly the same page in terms of their values.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Men can do this, pretty much they think women are spare parts and interchangeable. As long as the next woman cooks, cleans, has sex, your Dad will probably be oblivious to the rest.
Huh? My father was never that style. Besides, we always had two housekeepers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Your Dad could care less. I was married to someone much like that for 20 years, I finally realized he cared about no one but himself. I was the one to leave, much to his dismay. He replaced me, but he keeps losing his Barbies....as will your Dad.
It's not that he could care less but why should have he stayed being unhappy? He was sincere and talked to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships