Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:00 PM

50 posts, read 143,511 times

Advertisements

I was always fascinated how my parents marriage worked out for so long when they were complete opposites.

My father is Swiss German. Very, very strict, can be ruthless when it comes to other people's shortcomings, he's very organised and serious. He loves silence and books (we were told not to make any noise close to his library) and he's generally a very reserved person. I remember he would go horse riding on his own during weekend afternoons.

My mother is Italian. Loud, joyful, does a million things at the same time, cooks for 10 people even if it's just two for dinner, she's very emotional and cries easily, she was much relaxed when it came to rules and school. She loves having all the family together (I've like 40 cousins on her side of the family), everyone speaking at the same time, etc.

I'm still amazed how well they seemed to get along, though. My mother was the only one who could say if he was stressed or upset (he always looked the same to me) and the only one who could convince him to change his mind when it came to his strictness. He was the only one who could bring her back to reality when she got too excited and the only one who could reassure her when she was crying.

They separated two years ago after 41 years of marriage after my father told her he wanted to start a relationship with a younger woman and have more freedom. Even though they separated amicably, my mother never accepted being switched for another woman.

She asked him to please stay married to her because she married for life. He gave in at first but has recently told her they will eventually have to divorce.

Do you know any relationship between such different people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 07:21 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
Well, that's no good. I'm sorry to hear that happened. I've never known of such a different pair, to be honest.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:24 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Oh yes, my first girlfriend's mom was a Brit, quite and reserved, knit and watched Dr Who and Red Dwarf (not sure if that is the correct name), her dad was a U.S. Navy boxer, loud and overbearing, went into advertising. Just loud and abrasive and intimidating. Very much in love, married more than forty five years now.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Well, that's no good. I'm sorry to hear that happened. I've never known of such a different pair, to be honest.
You don't have to be sorry. I think people have to live their life whatever the age. I'm just sorry my mother hasn't handled it the best way.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Oh yes, my first girlfriend's mom was a Brit, quite and reserved, knit and watched Dr Who and Red Dwarf (not sure if that is the correct name), her dad was a U.S. Navy boxer, loud and overbearing, went into advertising. Just loud and abrasive and intimidating. Very much in love, married more than forty five years now.
Thanks for the input.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:13 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,959,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonzoGia View Post
I was always fascinated how my parents marriage worked out for so long when they were complete opposites.

My father is Swiss German. Very, very strict, can be ruthless when it comes to other people's shortcomings, he's very organised and serious. He loves silence and books (we were told not to make any noise close to his library) and he's generally a very reserved person. I remember he would go horse riding on his own during weekend afternoons.

My mother is Italian. Loud, joyful, does a million things at the same time, cooks for 10 people even if it's just two for dinner, she's very emotional and cries easily, she was much relaxed when it came to rules and school. She loves having all the family together (I've like 40 cousins on her side of the family), everyone speaking at the same time, etc.

I'm still amazed how well they seemed to get along, though. My mother was the only one who could say if he was stressed or upset (he always looked the same to me) and the only one who could convince him to change his mind when it came to his strictness. He was the only one who could bring her back to reality when she got too excited and the only one who could reassure her when she was crying.

They separated two years ago after 41 years of marriage after my father told her he wanted to start a relationship with a younger woman and have more freedom. Even though they separated amicably, my mother never accepted being switched for another woman.

She asked him to please stay married to her because she married for life. He gave in at first but has recently told her they will eventually have to divorce.

Do you know any relationship between such different people?
What a sad story.

Sheesh!!
Thanks man.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
What a sad story.

Sheesh!!
Thanks man.
Why is it sad? Compared to most separations I've seen, theirs was heaven. In the first few months my mother was even worried if he was eating all right.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:18 PM

Ah she was a flight attendant when they met. I've heard special circumstances make special relationships.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:11 AM

728 posts, read 1,900,539 times
I think when couples learn and practice the most important word of any relationship then it tends to work out. That word, of course, is COMPROMISE.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I think when couples learn and practice the most important word of any relationship then it tends to work out. That word, of course, is COMPROMISE.
I'm sure they had to compromise in plenty of things, like spending Christmas in Italy, with my father amidst all that noise and kissing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships