Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 07:12 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
So why is this a perfectly acceptable and encouraged social norm, but women not wanting to date shorter men causes such an uproar?
Well, there are a lot more short men who have trouble dating because they are short than tall women because they are tall. But moot point.

But you are right. Society sucks. I'm with you. I didn't say I wouldn't date taller women. I'm not most guys.

To make any physical feature an absolute hard cutoff is ... well, not too great.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:30 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Yea, I get your point. I just don't agree with it.

You are excluding a small minority because you feel you accept enough men already.
Nah. You don't get it. I don't think I'd date a guy who was shorter than me. Doesn't mean it's a hard cutoff. Just a general impression.

This is all hypothetical. I'm married and my husband is 6 feet tall.

My ex was 5'7"ish, so... I guess I just like who I like.

The only guy I've known fairly well who was shorter than me (and close to my age) was a bit of a **** up, so I would not have dated him for many reasons that had nothing to do with his height.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:34 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Well, there are a lot more short men who have trouble dating because they are short than tall women because they are tall. But moot point.

But you are right. Society sucks. I'm with you. I didn't say I wouldn't date taller women. I'm not most guys.

To make any physical feature an absolute hard cutoff is ... well, not too great.
Well, part of that may be that you rarely find tall women complaining and bitching on the internet or in real life about it. I know MANY women who are 6'+ and most are single and get rejected often...but they go on with their lives and find other ways to find happiness. Short guys? Well... just look at this forum to figure that out.

I agree with the physical feature stuff, but you can't force physical attraction where there isn't any. Just like plenty of guys are turned off by my height, plenty of women are turned off by some guys height. It's a bummer, but you move on.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:47 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

I agree with the physical feature stuff, but you can't force physical attraction where there isn't any. Just like plenty of guys are turned off by my height, plenty of women are turned off by some guys height. It's a bummer, but you move on.
I get it. Believe me, I do.

But there is also no reason to shout from the rooftops how much you love tall men and to announce what your height cutoff is. People are reading what you write.

Especially if you are married, I just don't get it. The shallow aspects of dating are something that I kind of look at as a necessary evil to land someone you are attracted to. If, and once I get married, I never want to think about topics like obese women, tall women, short men, race, and leagues again in my life.

There's no reason to explain your height cutoff, or your looks cutoff, or your whatever cutoff anymore. You're just married.

Last edited by JJS99; 12-13-2013 at 07:59 AM..

Old 12-13-2013, 07:54 AM

262 posts, read 547,031 times
I'm 5'9, so any guy under 5'8 is a no.

I'm a tall girl. Thus for, genetically superior. I plan on raising athletes, so I can't take in shorties.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:54 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,126 times
Lightbulb LOL...We've GOT To Stop Meeting Like This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Nah. You don't get it. I don't think I'd date a guy who was shorter than me. Doesn't mean it's a hard cutoff. Just a general impression.

This is all hypothetical. I'm married and my husband is 6 feet tall.

My ex was 5'7"ish, so... I guess I just like who I like.

The only guy I've known fairly well who was shorter than me (and close to my age) was a bit of a **** up, so I would not have dated him for many reasons that had nothing to do with his height.
Let me interrupt the proceedings with a phrase that many whiner---I mean folks, here don't seem to get:

YOU GOTTA OWNYOUR S**T!!!

I'm 5'8" and about 265 lbs, stocky, with broad shoulders...I'm also black and 57 years old

I'm married to a woman taller than me ('bout 5'9-5'10) who, when she wears her 2 to 3 inch heels, is OVER 6 ft tall...and guess what---she didn't give an armadillo-damn about my height or the LACK of it...she says she is proud of the fact that I can fit in equally with her college-educated friends and family, as well as the NON-college educated ones

She loves me because, as she has said, I can make her heart dance with my words and my actions...am I some raving hot matinee idol? Hell no...never have been, never will be...but at a particular low point in my life, I decided to OWN MY S**T, and quit whining ad nauseum about "who won't date me, woe is me I can't get any girls, my schlabonga is too short and ain't bionic and brass-plated like the other guys'" etc, etc,etc...

In short, if you find someone, male or female, who gives you jazz about your height, or lack of, bow deeply from the waist, say thank you for your time, and for god's sake, move the expletive on...learn to enjoy your OWN company, as I did, and quit waking up in a cold sweat like James Brown, worrying about 'boo hoo hoo...he/she won't date me 'cause I'm shooooorrrrttt! '

Maybe I'm taking this a tad personally, but it torques me to see page after page of people bleating, crying, and making excuses about everything from shoe sizes to interracial dating to is A-Rod a cheater, and so on

Life would be so much simpler if you would get off your a**, on your feet, and take charge of your own success, in relationships and out of them, and quit effing worrying about what the Sam-Damn-Hill everyone ELSE is thinking/saying/doing, and worry more about cleaning up your OWN space and territory

ETA: oh, and another thing, with all this Alpha/Beta bulls**t...the ONLY alpha-beta I give a fig about is contained in the lyrics of an old Parliament Funkadelic song (Aquaboogie, I believe)...to wit:

"Psycho ALPHA Disco BETA Bioaquadoloop...a motion picture underwater starring you and you loops!'...use that one next time someone tries to whip up some alpha vs beta s**t on here

Old 12-13-2013, 08:01 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
and quit whining ad nauseum about "who won't date me, woe is me I can't get any girls, my schlabonga is too short and ain't bionic and brass-plated like the other guys'" etc, etc,etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
quit waking up in a cold sweat like James Brown, worrying about 'boo hoo hoo...he/she won't date me 'cause I'm shooooorrrrttt!

... and that's church!
Way to preach it.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:03 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:

But there is also no reason to shout from the rooftops how much you love tall men and to announce what your height cutoff is. People are reading what you write.

Especially if you are married, I just don't get it. The shallow aspects of dating are something that I kind of look at as a necessary evil to land someone you are attracted to. If, and once I get married, I never want to think about topics like obese women, tall men, short men, race, and leagues again in my life.

There's no reason to explain your height cutoff, or your looks cutoff, or your whatever cutoff anymore. You're just married.
I'm married, but I wasn't born that way. Obviously I dated before I got married, and I'm assuming the same is true of the other married women here. I don't see why the shallow aspects of dating need to be considered a necessity to think about and obsess over, even when you're single. I only think about/discuss these issues when I read this forum, because it's a discussion forum. My purpose for posting on the short man threads is to point out the incorrect assumptions people make. I'm a short woman and I've never had requirements (other than he must love dogs). My husband is a foot taller than me. His height doesn't even make the list of reasons I love him.

The people who have strict requirements are the people who end up alone and miserable. Be happy, date who you want and enjoy the ride. Live your life well because it's the only one you'll get.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:18 AM

803 posts, read 1,668,341 times
Social norms, preference, sometimes for bragging rights. All this talk about it being "biological" and "good genes" is nonsense. You can tell who fell asleep in BIO 101 in these threads...

Old 12-13-2013, 08:18 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:

Especially if you are married, I just don't get it. The shallow aspects of dating are something that I kind of look at as a necessary evil to land someone you are attracted to. If, and once I get married, I never want to think about topics like obese women, tall women, short men, race, and leagues again in my life.

So? Men start threads on here all the time about how fat women are gross, or that they prefer women with __ boobs or ___ butt etc etc. and many of them are married. Just because you're in a relationship or married doesn't mean your opinions disappear...I mean, I'm in a relationship and I still think certain physical attributes are attractive in men, that didn't go away once I met my dude. Oddly, I don't meet a lot of my guys physical preferences and he doesn't really meet mine either. Somehow we still make it work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships