Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:38 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times

Advertisements

What's up with the hair thing?
I always read how men love long hair, blah blah...but when I look around, especially at women my age, the married women have short hair. Sometimes, as short as the man's.
Now...sometimes, short hair can be very sexy...so don't get me wrong. I am talking about the ones who just cut it all off. Just because it's a bother, because they don't "need it" anymore. Which leads me to wonder about all the fussing over the shorter hair. The salon visits constantly, the gels, sprays, setting, special devices that look almost phallic.
Like one place I worked, this girl had nice hair, just past her shoulders. She gets married, and a few inches get lopped off, and it still looked nice. Then, one day, she comes in, and it's Man Hair time. The other women praised her, as if she somehow surrendered herself to things because now, she has a "hairdo". What's up with that? "Oh, that looks nice!" More like nice and bland and nothing. Were they happy now, because she was like them? And to make it worse, in another month, it was even shorter. Somehow, cutting it made more work, more fussing, more obsessing with the hair. Why is short hair considered easier to care for? They all had the same hairdo, with the ends jelled and spiked up and out. Same hairdo. Maybe same thoughts, same brains? Is this about conformity? Where is David Crosby with "Almost Cut My Hair?"

So men like this? Because this is what I see them marrying. My hair is just past my shoulders, but it waves a lot, so I lose some of the length when it dries. I am not ready to cut my hair all off and I guess to me, that's like getting old. I am not for long witchy gray hair either. Just my thing. Do women who cut their hair find guys who love them easier? If you look around, it sure looks like it. Or am I missing something here? (I've been known to do that)

"Hey can I have some of your purple berries???"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 07:49 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
This is simple. Though we all know its not the hair that makes a person, it doesnt mean we cant have choices or preferences.
Ive had short hair before, and dont like it. I love my long dark hair, and despite what 'style' thinks womens hair should be, will keep it long as long as its still growing. A little colour from time to time, for a change, but thats about all. Same with men, I love the longer shoulder-length on a guy, and though we all know too, its not the length that matters (in a guys hair! ) it doesnt mean we cant have our 'likes' or 'dislikes'. Who cares what 'fashion' says, just be yourself. Its that simple.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:51 AM

233 posts, read 751,822 times
i like it when women have a nice length of hair, i would prefer my wife to have that. that is my opinion... however, short hair on some women looks very appealing. so whatever floats your boat.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:58 AM

788 posts, read 4,068,690 times
I think it is more a matter of variety. Some people have had the exact same hairstyle, length, color, everthing for 20 years. It's just hair--have fun with it, experiment with it, take some risks. It grows back. Also, it depends on your personality and face shape. Shorter hair is just more flattering on some people while longer hair works better for others. Just wear your hair the way that makes YOU feel most confident.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:27 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Hubby likes my hair long.....and since it's not that big of deal to me, I wear it mid back to please him.
No mind you I'm blessed with naturally wavy hair so I can wash and go.
If it were more maintainence I might have a different outlook.....me being lazy and all.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:33 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,650,473 times
I have long thick curly hair and I am over 50 years old. Everytime I go into the salon for a trim (and color), other clients over 65 years old say things like, "Why don't you cut it, I could never deal with all of that hair." They look at me in disgust. However, I know and so do the hairdressers, that women pay a lot of money to get hair like mine. I have great natural curl.

Why is it that once a woman decides to cut her hair short, she acts like this is the norm and everyone else should follow suit? Even my MIL does this to me. I don't think most women dared to wear their hair short until the last 75 years. It's been quite acceptable for centuries.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:02 AM

200 posts, read 888,412 times
My husband likes my hair long, but I wear it in a bob just below my ears. Why? Because I have extremely thin hair, with a round face. Long hair on me makes my face look like the moon. (I'm very pale, too!) Point is, I've had hair of many different lengths (never any longer than my shoulderblades), and he doesn't care what I do with it because it's my hair. He suggested one time I dye it black....and for a girl who is red-haired and freckle-faced, I don't think he quite understood how I didn't really want to go for the whole "Queen of the Undead" look.

Point being: he loves me no matter what my hair looks like, and it was never a contributing factor in deciding to date me in the first place.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:11 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,537,150 times
I'm 45 and keep my hair fairly long because it (I think) thins my face. Short hair would make me look like John Madden

My mother once asked: "You aren't going to be one of those old ladies with long gray hair are you? Or those ladies you have a skunk strip down their long hair?"

No. lol.

What do men think of women who have bangs?

Old 10-23-2007, 09:24 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times
Why on earth hasn't this been moved to the Fashion and Beauty forum yet? They're discussing long hair as we speak over there, too!

I like long hair imo. "A women's hair is her crown and glory". Yeah. It's from the Bible. some faces look great with short spikey guy hair.. that's great! that's not my face.

*shrug*

Old 10-23-2007, 09:30 AM

786 posts, read 1,176,747 times
The hair. They say the hair is everything, you know.

Have you ever buried your nose in a mountain of curls... and just wanted to go to sleep forever ?

Or lips -- and when they touched, yours were like... that first swallow of wine... after you just crossed the desert.

[deleted]! Whoo-ah ! Big ones, little ones, nipples staring right out at ya... like secret searchlights.

Mmm.

And legs -- I don't care if they're Greek columns... or secondhand Steinways.

What's between 'em, passport to heaven.

I need a drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships