Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 11:55 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forhayley View Post
Hey guys and gals:

I (27M) have known her (24F) for 2 years. Things got serious six months ago, but we were forced to do long distance for much of the time until now; I have relocated to her city in another country to be with her. We are both aware that the other has been in one serious (for me, 4.5 years) relationship and had a few but not many other partners besides, but have generally spared each other specific details of what's gone on in each other's bedrooms.

Toward the beginning of the two years that I've spent time with her, things were getting hot and heavy when she dutifully told me she had been casually seeing someone. Understandably, this is not a big deal for some people but for me it kind of kills the vibe; firstly, I have a somewhat narcissistic personality and don't care to share, and secondly, I value using considerable discretion in selecting sexual partners because the risk/reward of hooking up seems unfavorable.

Yesterday I was at a get-together for many of her friends, whom I was meeting for the first time. Conversation turned to a couple of funny sex-related mishap anecdotes when she made a comment that inspired one of her friends to reference such a story involving my partner. Eventually she said that the story wasn't that bad and permitted her friend to tell it in my company.

To my surprise, the story involved some of the not-quite-vanilla details of performing fellatio and having intercourse with a previous boyfriend. It is not as though I ever thought of myself as her first, or take issue with anything that may have occurred in her past. For me, the details of long since completed sexual relationships are taboo unless requested and I think it's just physically healthier to not share them. It was a bit of a shock that her friends thought it was reasonable to spew this info shortly after meeting me, and that she, who I thought knew me better, wouldn't mind them doing so.

How can I make her understand how this makes me feel without coming off as immature? Or am I just being too illogical and petty and need to work on my mental fortitude?
Any women that would talk about giving oral sex to another guy, while her boyfriend is sitting there is a cu*t. She has no respect for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 12:11 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I think it's pretty tacky to kiss and tell.
Or suck and tell.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Or suck and tell.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:21 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Her friends may know her better than you do in some ways given your preference for a "don't ask; don't tell" approach as opposed to her more "liberal" style of discourse on these matters. It may also be true that you haven't given her (or she hasn't accepted) this approach. It's something you need to talk about, but more likely than not, it resulted from a lack of or mis-communication, don't you think?

Old 12-19-2013, 12:21 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Any women that would talk about giving oral sex to another guy, while her boyfriend is sitting there is a cu*t. She has no respect for you.
Any guy who would be upset at the idea of his gf being a sexual being before he met her is a d*ck. He has no respect for her.

See? It goes both ways.

@forhayley:

I am just calling this azz on his stuff. For my real reply to your situation, please see the bottom of the previous page.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:53 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Tell her that you'd rather the two of you not discuss your sexual pasts, particularly in a group of friends. And that if she does feel that she needs to discuss your sex life, ask that she limit it to chat with her girlfriends and keep that stuff out of mixed company.

Also be sure to tell her that her past is her past, and you are thinking of your future together. Tell her you know she has a past, and that's cool, but you don't really want to talk about it... particularly in mixed company.

If she cannot respect that, you have bigger relationship problems than you think.

Best of luck to you!

Old 12-19-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Any guy who would be upset at the idea of his gf being a sexual being before he met her is a d*ck. He has no respect for her.

See? It goes both ways.

@forhayley:

I am just calling this azz on his stuff. For my real reply to your situation, please see the bottom of the previous page.
Having a past is one thing, throwing it in his face and being disrespectful is another. Anybody who can't see that, has issues and shouldn't be dating. I would never brag about other women I had been with in front of my lady friend.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:59 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You can't.

The best you can do is talk to her about your preference for discretion and how you would rather not have to hear details of her former sex life in mixed company.
Yep.

Some things can't be taught.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:28 PM

36,535 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Having a past is one thing, throwing it in his face and being disrespectful is another. Anybody who can't see that, has issues and shouldn't be dating. I would never brag about other women I had been with in front of my lady friend.
Im wondering just how much she was throwing it in his face. He stated "eventually" she "permitted" her friend to tell the story. I think we need to hear the rest of the story.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:33 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Im wondering just how much she was throwing it in his face. He stated "eventually" she "permitted" her friend to tell the story. I think we need to hear the rest of the story.
I don't think she was allowing the story to be told to throw it in his face. I just think she is tacky and has poor judgment about what is appropriate conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships