Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 12:57 PM

148 posts, read 292,466 times

Advertisements

Any good/amusing stories about people looking different in person than their online pictures? Or perhaps people with entirely different personalities?

I remember when I was 22 I went on a date with a man who said he was 35, which was already pushing it. He showed up and had to have been AT LEAST 40. People were looking at us funny in the restaurant. I think they were playing the game of "is she his daughter or his girlfriend?" He also refused to show me his driver's license after getting it out for the waitress.

Another guy looked like a really gorgeous Italian with a built body in his pictures and claimed to be from Italy. When I showed up, he was definitely Arab, bald, and overweight. O.O

And of course, there were the cases of the men who had incredible personalities when we were talking, but had social problems in real life and were dull. I almost wonder, if they had someone else answer their messages. What I learned is that you should go on a date as soon as possible and not drag out the conversations, because there's a good chance you're not compatible anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 01:00 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Had a first meeting (OLD first date) on Friday. She was nice. Very capable of conversing well via the written word (which is important to me), but not so much in person. Online: extrovert, inperson (with me anyway): quiet. Unfortunate, but I carried the conversation through a few drinks and we went our way. Interesting person, similar interests, just no personality really. It happens.

Saturday was better. 3 hrs went by fast. We only had 2 beers each I think as we were talking so much. She could kiss.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:12 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
The oddest one I dated was a doctor, loved science fiction, was a scuba diver like me, and we had some pretty funny/witty conversations using the online chat. He seemed like a cool, friendly guy. When I met him in person he was paranoid and thought the world was going to end in a few months (even figured out how and had a bunker ready). He also ended up not being as funny in person, very critical of everyone, rude to the wait staff, and a bit controlling (we met at a restaurant and he wouldn't let me order what I wanted to... and no, I wasn't ordering something expensive. He just thought I should have pasta instead of soup for some reason).

So he was really different in person than online.

The guy I am dating now had an online profile for a while (I didn't meet him online, I know him socially... but I saw his profile). It was kind of dry and boring--not like him at all. And on top of that, he didn't post a photo either (and he has nothing to hide--he's perfectly single). If I didn't know him socially and only knew him from his online profile, I probably never would have given him a second look.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:16 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
In another lifetime at the tail end of my online dating experience......

Decided to meet up for A Sunday breakfast for the "first date." Like most online profiles, she appeared attractive. Incredibly vivacious during our 'lil online chats and quite pleasing to the ear on the telephone.

So, we decided to meet up at wonderful restaurant chain that specializes in pancakes......

Man, did she like pancakes.

A lot of pancakes.

Years of pancakes.

Many, many pancakes had been consumed between the online picture date and our first and last meeting.

Now, don't get me wrong. I realize that beauty is only skin deep so I need to explain more.

During breakfast, she divulged to me (sadly), that her brother had been killed by a drunk driver and she insisted that anyone that she dates is NOT a drinker. Keep in mind that I like to drink and make no bones about it. I'm not a slobbering idiot that likes to get smashed to have a good time, but I enjoy a nice buzz on occasion.

She was nice enough and I hadn't had any other plans that day so I asked her if she'd like to go to the zoo or walk around somewhere. (God knows she needed to). She responded that she was hosting a bridal shower that afternoon and she had to get going.

Immediately I thought that I had blown it (no big deal), but she told me to call her later that night (kinda weird).

So I called her that night. Keep in mind that I was new in town and itching to make some friends. And she was pretty, just a bit heavy for me.

I called. She was absolutely inebriated and she passed out on the phone.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:23 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
I am sure the posts above point out why its just better to have profiles and no photos.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:30 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
Yes.

One was a Hawaiian guy who had a thin and cut body on his profile. When we met for dinner, he was close to 300 pounds. I didn't look at him or talk to him through dinner, and he finally apologized for the picture.

The second guy that stands out in my mind had a very cute face on his profile, but had no bottom front teeth in person.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:35 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Yes.

One was a Hawaiian guy who had a thin and cut body on his profile. When we met for dinner, he was close to 300 pounds. I didn't look at him or talk to him through dinner, and he finally apologized for the picture.

That is why I don't do meals on the first meet-up! I wouldn't have even given him the time for being such a liar.

Quote:
The second guy that stands out in my mind had a very cute face on his profile, but had no bottom front teeth in person.
That is so gross! What did you do?

I wound up on a date with a made who lied about his age - he was about 15 years off. Another man was a closeted homosexual and shorter than he said. Then there was the gold chain wearing man. I was also told I was going to burn in hell on my first date in Dallas....whew, I'm exhausted. No more dating for me.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:39 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
That is why I don't do meals on the first meet-up! I wouldn't have even given him the time for being such a liar.

That is so gross! What did you do?
I went through with the date both times, but I didn't really share or respond to them, and never talked to either after that. I remember being embarrassed both times and feeling like the people around us were staring, especially with the guy w/o lower teeth.

The food was really good, Red Lobster and a Chicago style pizzeria and I just enjoyed the food for the most part.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:42 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times
I met someone on OKCupid that I really hit it off with. He was funny and cute, but lived two hours away. I drove to meet him for dinner and agreed to pick him up at his place and then he was going to take me to dinner. When I finally get there, he opens the door in a towel. Also, it turns out his pics were of him about 80-100lbs ago. He proceeds to dress in some kind of vest suit from the 90's (we weren't going somewhere that required a suit) Since I drove this far I decided might as well go get dinner at least. We get to the restuarant and to add insult to injury, one of my gays from college is there and sees everything. At least we had a good laugh about it afterwards.

I'll never understand why people put misleading pictures in their profiles, it's not like the truth won't come out!

Old 12-30-2013, 03:42 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I'd say that at least 75% of the men I met online were seriously lying about something. Either their age, height, weight and sometimes even their personality. I went out with a few guys that were bubbly and nice online but turned out to be jerks in real life.

I did meet my current SO online, but that was after years of looking. He was just as he said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships