Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 PM

16 posts, read 32,874 times

Advertisements

I'm a black woman who recently started traveling a lot. I've met so many black American women while traveling who appear to be in great relationships with their husbands but the kicker is, they all reside overseas.

Rarely do I meet young married black women in the states.

I wonder why black American women seem to do so well with relationships outside of the U.S.? Is it the lack of negative media? Also, I find these women to be so much more confident with their beautiful dark skin.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:35 PM

551 posts, read 1,122,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie1234 View Post
I'm a black woman who recently started traveling a lot. I've met so many black American women while traveling who appear to be in great relationships with their husbands but the kicker is, they all reside overseas.

Rarely do I meet young married black women in the states.

I wonder why black American women seem to do so well with relationships outside of the U.S.? Is it the lack of negative media? Also, I find these women to be so much more confident with their beautiful dark skin.
Its america.. people from different places are so kind. I have this girl from school, shes from a spanish country and beautiful. We get along very easily, the most approachable/fun girl i've ever met.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:39 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,697,399 times
There is actually something to this. I have many black American friends who dated and some even married European men. They love it there and they would never come back to the US even to visit their own families. I envy them.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:46 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
Well I know plenty of married black american women. That said, having traveled outside of the US I certainly was perceived differently as I am here. There is way too much racial baggage in the US which touches our day to day lives, so much so we often don't realize it. It isn't like that in other countries. Or at least other countries don't have the black/white thing that we have here; perhaps they have their own issues that I don't know much about.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,998,177 times
America is a strange country to me. My family is from the Caribbean and a lot of the comments that I've heard here of a racial nature towards blacks, I don't hear there at all. It baffles me, but like the above poster said, I feel there's too much deep seated issues here and brainwashing.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 PM

734 posts, read 933,136 times
It's strange because people tend to think of the U.S. as a racial utopia, but this country is so race focussed. I do agree that black women who travel overseas tend to have far better relationships than in the U.S. I have a a black female friend who married a very successful Scottish Entrepreneur. They reside in Whales.

Far too many black women in the U.S. have internalized the negative messages and actually believe that they are unworthy of solid/long term commitments and marriage.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:54 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,918 times
One has to be extremely wary of those looking for U.S. citizenship, there are tons of cons out there, that will love moving here more than they will love you, and you won't know until it's too late.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:33 PM

5,134 posts, read 4,487,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
It's strange because people tend to think of the U.S. as a racial utopia
They do? Not in my experience.

Everywhere I've been to (and I've traveled a lot), educated people are aware of the history of racisim in the US.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
One has to be extremely wary of those looking for U.S. citizenship, there are tons of cons out there, that will love moving here more than they will love you, and you won't know until it's too late.
Actually, most of the black women who I know, who have married men outside of the U.S., reside overseas as well.

Their guys aren't from impoverished countries.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
They do? Not in my experience.

Everywhere I've been to (and I've traveled a lot), educated people are aware of the history of racisim in the US.
True, but across the world, the U.S. is still viewed as a place of racial tolerance, due to the civil rights movement, and the various civil rights laws that are in existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.