Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:06 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,162 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a friend the other day. She has been celibate for a year and a half now. We got on the subject of having a one night stand/fling to get back in the game. What's your opinion of one night stands? Are they worth it? Or do they cause more issues while waiting for the right person or right relationship? If both are consenting adults, is there any harm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 11:09 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,212,471 times
Given what can happen when people have sex, I think it's best if the two parties know each other decently well. But as long as proper precautions are taken, I'm sure things can work out.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 AM

888 posts, read 1,099,608 times
I don't think there is anything wrong, as long as both parties understand it is what it is

Old 01-03-2014, 11:11 AM

374 posts, read 393,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
I was talking to a friend the other day. She has been celibate for a year and a half now. We got on the subject of having a one night stand/fling to get back in the game. What's your opinion of one night stands? Are they worth it? Or do they cause more issues while waiting for the right person or right relationship? If both are consenting adults, is there any harm?
I think you're going to get different answers from different people. One night stands are different for everyone.

Some people don't do them for a lot of reason and refuse to do them, while on the other hand some have no problems with them.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. When I was single I loved one night stands, it offered a variety instead of the same thing over and and over again.

Always keep in mind though, one night stands can also be very dangerous.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:12 AM

442 posts, read 588,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Celibate for a year? Celebate is a lifelong decision, a year doesn't come close. At that rate, someone could end up with so many sex partners you couldn't even count them on two hands

Yes, of course there's harm in using people. Even with consent. We're not animals

Old 01-03-2014, 11:13 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Never cared for them. Have had very few. As long as you play safe, and all are above board, they're fine though.

Sadly most seem to have excessive alcohol involved and generally (though not always) that makes for some bad sex.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:14 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiawomann5 View Post
You're not an animal.

Of course he/she is an animal. We all are. We're primates.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:16 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Of course he/she is an animal. We all are. We're primates.
This is my point. We all have urges. Waiting for the right person to show up may take awhile....

Old 01-03-2014, 11:18 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,613 times
They are fun and necessary. Just take the usual precautions.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:19 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,151 times
In my experience, it depends of the person's frame of mind at the time. Flings are difficult when what you really want is a relationship. However, sometimes people don't want one or can't be in one. In this case, it's a lot easier not to get attached. I've had ONSs/flings and see nothing wrong with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships