Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:46 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times

Advertisements

I did a search and didn't see anything on this topic. My new years resolution was to embrace online dating, so I signed up for match.

I get around 50-60 likes/winks/messages a day but everyone seems to live so far! I'm in NYC and I'd say 5 or 6 live in my area. Most are in the far away regions of Jersey. Now I am getting messages from Maryland and Montreal. I put I wanted someone within 5 miles of my zip code, but I guess no one reads profiles?

I also get a huge percentage of people out side of my age range. I put the top as 35 (I'm 27) and most are in their mid 40s.

Does this match anyone's experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 08:58 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I did a search and didn't see anything on this topic. My new years resolution was to embrace online dating, so I signed up for match.

I get around 50-60 likes/winks/messages a day but everyone seems to live so far! I'm in NYC and I'd say 5 or 6 live in my area. Most are in the far away regions of Jersey. Now I am getting messages from Maryland and Montreal. I put I wanted someone within 5 miles of my zip code, but I guess no one reads profiles?

I also get a huge percentage of people out side of my age range. I put the top as 35 (I'm 27) and most are in their mid 40s.

Does this match anyone's experience?
Without exception, men who contact you from hundreds of miles away are Nigerian scammers. If you need proof, try entering some of the lines from their profile into Google and see what comes up.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:20 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Without exception, men who contact you from hundreds of miles away are Nigerian scammers. If you need proof, try entering some of the lines from their profile into Google and see what comes up.
Without exception? Really?

I've known several people who have contacted and met people from hundreds of miles away on dating sites. None of them are Nigerian scammers. Apparently there are some exceptions after all.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:34 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
Unless they have severely broken English, do not assume that every person writing to you from miles away are Nigerian scammers.

if they feed you a line that says they had to move far away because a family member died or was forced to move away, and the sentence structure and English overall is poor, be super cautious, but otherwise, it's probably just a guy browsing.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:43 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Unless they have severely broken English, do not assume that every person writing to you from miles away are Nigerian scammers.
Honestly, I don't even read the messages from anyone who's location isn't NYC/Brooklyn/Queens.

Most (97%) of the messages are from random parts of NJ. Pretty sure they are all legit guys, but it's almost like a long distance relationship since I live in Manhattan and don't have a car.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:52 PM

112 posts, read 118,261 times
Please regale us with how rough it is to get 50-60 contacts per day.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:00 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBannedStand View Post
Probably not her intention to tell us all that she gets more attention from people in 1 day than I have in 2 years and then some, but I'm sure she's just venting.

It's also well documented that OLD is much much different for the majority of women than it is for men, so there's really no point in getting upset.

Must be nice though.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:20 PM

543 posts, read 533,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBannedStand View Post
Super rough. Haha. What a pain to have to sift through so many potential suitors. Men just don't know how hard it is for a woman on an OLD site!

I get a good chuckle out of East Coast people though. OMG, I'm in NYC and so and so is soooo far away in Pittsburgh. Lol, I friggin drive those kind of distances daily.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I don't even read the messages from anyone who's location isn't NYC/Brooklyn/Queens.
That's an odd way of wording that, since Brooklyn and Queens are part of NYC.

Quote:
Most (97%) of the messages are from random parts of NJ. Pretty sure they are all legit guys,
Probably, since a significant portion of the population of NJ is within about 5-30 miles of NYC, and even the far-out parts are about 100 miles away. If I lived in NJ I'd probably be trying to date women in the city, too. I realize without a car it's difficult, but I would imagine the Jersey guys have cars and would be willing to come into the city for dates. That's what I used to have to do for dates when I lived 40-50 miles outside of Chicago.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
I get a good chuckle out of East Coast people though. OMG, I'm in NYC and so and so is soooo far away in Pittsburgh. Lol, I friggin drive those kind of distances daily.
You drive 370 miles each way (740 miles round trip) daily? That's the distance between NYC and Pittsburgh. Not exactly an easy dating distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships