Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 11:04 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,621,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Never made that assumption. All I said was that if the guy doesn't want to stick it out for a couple months waiting for sex, then you most likely dodge a bullet.
I know what you said, and that's exactly what I was responding to. Why do you assume that you dodged a bullet in this scenario? You dodged someone who wanted to have sex. Period. Nothing more and nothing less. That's why I asked, "Years of what? Years of sex?" That's the only thing you could possibly know that you missed out on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 11:06 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,206,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
What kind of logic is that? You "dodged" someone who wanted to have sex. Period. Nothing more and nothing less. That's why I asked, "Years of what? Years of sex?"

And they dodged sex when they wanted to have sex themselves.

What a relief!

Old 01-08-2014, 11:06 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,616,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What bullet? If she wants to have sex at two weeks, or one night, what bullet should she be fearing?

This is what I don't get.
Then have sex. This whole conversation revolved around someone mentioning that a woman with a high number wanted to commit, but the guys didn't. So I said that holding out on sex probably would have deterred some of those failed relationships. Now I have you and nearnorth getting all defensive claiming that I am advocating women playing games.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:10 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,206,912 times
Quote:
Then have sex. This whole conversation revolved around someone mentioning that a woman with a high number wanted to commit, but the guys didn't. So I said that holding out on sex probably would have deterred some of those failed relationships. Now I have you and nearnorth getting all defensive claiming that I am advocating women playing games.

Fair enough. But again, you haven't articulated what is gained by holding out (except reducing an arbitrary number) and you're jumping to the conclusion that because the relationship ended, it failed.

The only thing that has failed here is that there are some guys that care about an arbitrary number and they think it is an indicator of the ability of a woman to make a commitment. In other words, the raising of young men is what is failing.

(Of course, you are advocating game playing by suggesting holding out as a tactic)

Old 01-08-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
And they dodged sex when they wanted to have sex themselves.

What a relief!
Whew! Such a close call. It's scary when you end up almost having sex! So happy to dodge that bullet!

Old 01-08-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
So I said that holding out on sex probably would have deterred some of those failed relationships.
If that was all you said, you might have had a point. Of course, even then, one could just as easily say that holding back on sex might have deterred some successful relationships, too.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. But again, you haven't articulated what is gained by holding out (except reducing an arbitrary number) and you're jumping to the conclusion that because the relationship ended, it failed.

The only thing that has failed here is that there are some guys that care about an arbitrary number and they think it is an indicator of the ability of a woman to make a commitment. In other words, the raising of young men is what is failing.

(Of course, you are advocating game playing by suggesting holding out as a tactic)
I am merely advocating holding out as a means to figure out what exactly the guy is in the relationship for, it is really no more complicated than that. If you want to give it up on the first date, go ahead. But don't come back bitching when the relationship starts getting real and the guy bolts.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:17 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,291,432 times
Quote:

I think 'holding-out' may be a negatively connotative word choice and if he had used the words 'holding off on sex' it may have made a difference in how you are perceiving it. Holding off does not have the 'game playing' stigma you've attached to 'holding out.' Holding off on sex, by both parties, gives them the opportunity to really get to know someone's personality and interests and develop of more emotional bond quite often. In the case of the OP and her issues this may be something she might want to try because what she's doing now isn't working for her.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
If that was all you said, you might have had a point. Of course, even then, one could just as easily say that holding back on sex might have deterred some successful relationships, too.
I suppose. But me personally, if I am emotionally attracted to a girl I will wait till whenever she is ready, whether that be 2 dates or two months, because in the end, she is who I want to be with, not her vagina.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:19 AM

11,845 posts, read 12,129,464 times
Quote:
I am merely advocating holding out as a means to figure out what exactly the guy is in the relationship for, it is really no more complicated than that. If you want to give it up on the first date, go ahead. But don't come back bitching when the relationship starts getting real and the guy bolts.
So you're implying someone with a higher number of partners puts out too fast and waiting longer guarantees something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships