Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:09 PM

10 posts, read 22,629 times

Advertisements

Hey, guys. I've never posted here but I was really hoping to get some advice. My situation is a little different. I'll try to keep it short but I'm summarizing 10 months

I had been with my ex-boyfriend for a year when he deployed to Afghanistan last March. I'm 21, he's 25. First deployment. We did great for 4 months, but when Summer ("fighting season") rolled around things got crazy. He's EOD so his job is extremely stressful, and he even lost a few friends. Ultimately what happened is he decided he wanted to "pause" our relationship until his homecoming (mid-December) and focus on the deployment. It was hard for me to understand, but I said I supported him and let him go.

He kept in touch with me every two weeks by email but suddenly stopped in September. Don't know why but I didn't want to make it worse so I didn't initiate contact other than a care package and a "Happy birthday." We have been no contact for four months now, but I've felt that I could never truly move on until he comes home and I see what happens. So I still have feelings for him and wish things could pick back up between us.

He got home two weeks ago. He is not in my city but will be here next week visiting extended family. I had not heard from him until last Thursday night when he messaged me on Facebook saying Hello. I responded Friday afternoon, and we sent a few messages back and forth (just small talk). He eventually texted me (Friday night at this point) and kept the conversation going. He stopped responding and I fell asleep, but then woke up to a phone call from him at 1:30 a.m. and I answered. Yes... Maybe I shouldn't have done this. It's pretty obvious where it's going. He had been drinking, and he basically poured his heart out to me. He was crying. He said that while he was in Afghanistan, he saw so many terrible things and was under so much pressure that he thought it would be easier to end our relationship and focus on getting home safe. He said that now that he's home, he realizes that it was a huge mistake. He said that everything reminds him of me, even when he goes out with his friends he just misses me. He begged for forgiveness, said that he loves me and said that he wants me back. I didn't say much, I just listened and eventually convinced him to lie down and go to sleep.

I know he had been drinking... But it was really hard for me to hear those things and not get my hopes up. I ended up texting him the next day asking if he remembered our conversation. He said no. He said that he doesn't even remember talking to me... So I was really disappointed. I ended up telling him everything that he said and then asked him point-blank if he has any feelings for me. He responded, "Yeah, I guess I do have feelings for you to some degree. I just hate that I drunk dialed you saying those things. I was wanting to talk about everything in person." I responded "If you would still like to talk in person when you come to town, let me know." He responded "Yes I would" and that was that.

I'm confused. Why would he include the "to some degree"? Was he just embarrassed and trying to downplay his drunk dialing or what (He knows I don't drink and that I don't like it when he does)? I'm nervous because I don't know his intentions. I supported him through the deployment but if he doesn't want to be in a relationship with me now, I can't have him in my life at all. It's too painful for me. So I guess I'm just looking for advice regarding what I should say, what you think his intentions are, etc. Also do you think he meant what he said on the phone?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 07:15 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
His drinking could be a result of PTSD and will only get worse without some help.

The horror he went through is something you can't even fathom. He sounds like it really messed him up and it would anyone. His problems might be beyond your scope to deal with, but if you want to continue speaking with him by all means do so - but do so with a bit of caution.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
His drinking could be a result of PTSD and will only get worse without some help.

The horror he went through is something you can't even fathom. He sounds like it really messed him up and it would anyone. His problems might be beyond your scope to deal with, but if you want to continue speaking with him by all means do so - but do so with a bit of caution.
Thursday007, I hadn't really thought of this but it makes sense. Maybe I'm taking on a task bigger than I had realized. Thanks for your advice!

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Just wait until he gets to town and you can hear him explain in person. Do not contact him before then. If he texts you be polite but hold out on the heavy stuff until you are in person and he talks to you. Hopefully its soon. When you do see him don't let him drink.

Don't worry about the "to some degree" part.

537 posts, read 769,261 times
I would cut my losses and move on. Sure, he could be really messed up right now. Or he could just be keeping you in his back pocket. Harsh, but....do you really want to deal with either?

Old 01-06-2014, 07:28 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
I agree that you need to move on.

He will be changed when he comes home, and you are too young to deal with what he will need.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:40 PM

Hi guys, thanks for your responses. I guess I'm just caught in a weird place. I actually care for him very much and wouldn't drop him just because of post-deployment issues he may have. Maybe that's silly... I guess my big thing is I don't know what his intentions are. I don't want to be strung along, as one of you suggested :/

Old 01-06-2014, 07:43 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiepaige View Post
Hi guys, thanks for your responses. I guess I'm just caught in a weird place. I actually care for him very much and wouldn't drop him just because of post-deployment issues he may have. Maybe that's silly... I guess my big thing is I don't know what his intentions are. I don't want to be strung along, as one of you suggested :/
You can't know what his intentions are ( and neither can we) until he tells you and doesn't take it back afterwards.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
You can't know what his intentions are ( and neither can we) until he tells you and doesn't take it back afterwards.
You're right srjth. I won't know until I see him. I guess I'm just nervous!

Old 01-06-2014, 07:59 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Was your relationship always long distance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships