Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:46 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,202,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
My priest said they don't as it is a mutual giving but maybe it's a choice the couples decided on? The weddings I have seen the priest asked them if they came of free will and asked if they give to each other freely. I think obey can be used as well but not common.
When we got married in the Catholic church years ago, we were given choices on these points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 01:48 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,621,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePosterFormerlyKnownAs View Post
I'll ask you the same question, then, that I asked JC84: Did the couple ask for your opinion? What business is it of yours how they want to structure their marriage?

Good god people are vain and self-important.
You're being intolerant of my right to be intolerant! See how this works?

Old 01-09-2014, 01:51 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,901,760 times
Quote:
I'll ask you the same question, then, that I asked JC84: Did the couple ask for your opinion? What business is it of yours how they want to structure their marriage?

Good god people are vain and self-important.
Because in many cases the women are pressured either into saying that or into believing women aren't equal to men. Their daughters grow up being taught this as well. Many of these people are in politics trying to push this agenda on other women. That's why it's a problem. Even if these men don't end up in politics many end up in jobs where they have women as subordinates and if they truly feel women are not equal it does affect the women in the workplace. I know, I dealt with this.

And before you call me liberal again I am not. I despise the liberals for the most part (and conservatives too). However I feel everyone is equal and pushing this idea that women are to cater to men pushes an agenda that women aren't equal. My fundie friend would often tell me he didn't believe women are equal.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:52 PM

863 posts, read 1,130,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Why is being physically smaller inferior?
I'm saying that WOMEN say they want to "feel smaller" and "feel protected." As I've said (probably 3 times now), women want to be equal, but some are saying that they need a man to protect them. That is coming from a position of inferiority as some don't view themselves as capable of taking care of themselves like a man could. Why should a man make you feel protected when you should be perfectly capable of it? Also, letting a man "dominate" in the bedroom is still a form of domination/overpowering. I thought many women were against this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Interestingly enough you never commented on the relationship between sameness and equality. Sure does not seem like much of a paradox to me. The fact is that what one thinks about one's physical safety has exactly nothing to do with their general competency to make decision.
I already gave my opinion ad nauseum. No need to repeat myself again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
You still don't get it. At all. What does being physically smaller have to do with being ordered around? By this logic, should smaller men be submissive too?
Read above. Obviously, you're not understanding (or trying to understand) what I'm saying. Oh, and I've never heard a man say they want a taller woman to protect them.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:56 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,621,205 times
Quote:
....and I never said they were. You can go ahead and avoid the question all day long, but I'll just keep asking: What business is it of yours how this couple wanted to structure their marriage, and what basis do you have for being offended?
Chill out, I'll answer the question: I have no problem with people structuring their own relationships in any draconian fashion they'd like. But when you preach these ideals from a pulpit, it's no longer just about them. It's now institutionalized bs.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
I'm saying that WOMEN say they want to "feel smaller" and "feel protected." As I've said (probably 3 times now), women want to be equal, but some are saying that they need a man to protect them.
Ok. I would venture that if they want to feel smaller, the way to do that is BE smaller? Smaller is a word that refers to size. You may be using the word in a manner it does not mean in the same manner you equate equality with sameness. Hard to tell.

Quote:
That is coming from a position of inferiority as some don't view themselves as capable of taking care of themselves like a man could.
I wonder how many women have REALLY written it out to you this way. This is quite a stretch. BUT I would say that physical strength might make someone more capable of protecting themselves. Or someone else. But what does that have to do with decision making?

Quote:

Read above. Obviously, you're not understanding (or trying to understand) what I'm saying. Oh, and I've never heard a man say they want a taller woman to protect them.
And what does that have to do with relationship decision making? You think you are being clear. but you aren't. Or maybe nothing, which is my opinion.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:57 PM

863 posts, read 1,130,151 times
Quote:
Chill out, I'll answer the question: I have no problem with people structuring their own relationships in any draconian fashion they'd like. But when you preach these ideals from a pulpit, it's no longer just about them. It's now institutionalized bs.
Wait...so you'd be ok with her type of relationship if they weren't married?

Old 01-09-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I already gave my opinion ad nauseum. No need to repeat myself again.
But you did rather fail to comment on that one bit which is a somewhat compelling bit.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:59 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,624,815 times
Quote:
I'm well aware of how women are attracted to men.
Clearly not.

Quote:
Yet, plenty of women (on this site and women I've talked to) will say otherwise. Smaller males also have testosterone, by the way.
Naturally, you ignored that I said NOT ALL women feel this way. I didn't even say most did. Yet you choose to read my comment as such so you can continue arguing instead of admitting anyone else could be right.

Obviously all men have testosterone. That was my point. So do women, but they have a lot less of it. You are the one who needs to read up on the hormone and on biological attraction.

Quote:
No, but when women say they want to "feel small" or "protected", it still comes from a position of inferiority. It's as if they're so helpless that they need a man to fill that role. This is the paradox.
It's not a paradox. I won't restate why you are wrong because others have explained that many times now. You clearly have no intention of actually listening to people on this topic - you are baiting people. I took the bait but I'm done now. Good luck with your misguided theories.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:59 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,901,760 times
Quote:
Exactly. What people are missing is the same churches that preach this in the marriage vows, preach it in the pulpit every Sunday. My fundie friend was brainwashed into believing this because his church preached that women were not equal. Women had NO rights in the church, they couldn't even be in control of the women's group. Their women't group consisted of sewing and learning to be proper housewives. Women who worked were shunned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships