Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 03:10 PM

94 posts, read 324,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rationalmale18 View Post
True desire cannot be learned, negotiated, or paid for with therapy. This is a dead end. She needs to do this guy a favor and leave.
Yes, you right really... *sigh* But I have found that making a hard decision is easier if I exhaust ALL options before throwing in the towel, if for nothing more than to say that I really tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 03:14 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allio27 View Post
Yes, you right really... *sigh* But I have found that making a hard decision is easier if I exhaust ALL options before throwing in the towel, if for nothing more than to say that I really tried.
Well, I think you're both right but I do feel obligated to at least try. He said he's willing to do whatever it takes to make this work, as am I. It's hard finding a balance between our "throwaway" culture and knowing when it's truly time to throw in the towel. I do have a bad track record, my fiancé cheated on me multiple times but I stuck with him ( I would not have been so forgiving for anyone else ) I just want so much to be in a secure, committed relationship, and to let it go now that I have it is hard

Old 01-14-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
That right there would have me ending things.

Regardless, eight months is not a long time to grieve someone you had intended to marry. It doesn't sound like you gave yourself enough of a chance to heal.

In your shoes, I would end it, and I would consider it a favor to both myself and Alan. You deserve the passion you want in a partner, and he deserves more than a woman who will "never be over" the death of a fiance.
Thank you, it's actually been about 14 months since Aaron died, but he was diagnosed with the terminal disease in July of 2011 so I've really been grieving since then.

Losing a spouse is not something anyone will ever be able to "get over". We simply have to learn how to go on and live without them. So if I were to wait until I was "over it", I would be single for the rest of my life--and I don't want that.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:24 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
I am sorry for your loss.

I was with a guy for many years who was super boring in the bedroom. Wasn't willing to do anything else than the missionary, and not even that was great. Then he lost interest in it because it was always the same (yeah, I know what you want to say) and it became less and less.

He was not passionate. Not in bed and not for anything else either. Wasn't willing to do anything out of the ordinary and I went crazy around him. It sucked the life out of me and even though we split a while ago, I am still not back to where I were - a fun person.

Don't settle for that. I learned my lesson.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:24 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
He knows he's boring in bed, right? If he was THAT great of a guy, he'd be doing his damnedest to give you the kind of experience you want. Look up the GGG concept and read some of Dan Savage's stuff.

Being a good lover isn't hard. A little research, a lot of consideration for your partner and an open mind are really all that's necessary. If he can't go that extra mile for you, I think it's time to move on.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:25 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
He knows he's boring in bed, right? If he was THAT great of a guy, he'd be doing his damnedest to give you the kind of experience you want. Look up the GGG concept and read some of Dan Savage's stuff.

Being a good lover isn't hard. A little research, a lot of consideration for your partner and an open mind are really all that's necessary. If he can't go that extra mile for you, I think it's time to move on.
Yeah, I agree to 100%.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

Wellll...... I'm not sure he knows, actually. I haven't figured out a nice way of telling him without his feelings getting hurt. It's probably impossible NOT to hurt his feelings.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:34 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Let me start off by saying I'm dating a really, really great guy. He's everything a girl could want- he wants to get married, have a house and family, the whole nine yards.

A little bit of backstory, in November 2012 I lost my fiancé after a long fight with cancer. He was my soulmate, the class clown type that everyone loved to be around. I am not, nor will I ever be, "over him".

6 months ago I met "Alan" by chance and reluctantly agreed to go out on a date. We hit it off well and have been together since. I know it's not fair to compare Alan and my late fiancé, but it's hard. Alan gives me the relationship stability I need that wasn't really there with late fiancé. On paper, Alan is everything I could have hoped for.

The problem is, Alan is very dry and measured--the polar opposite of my fiancé. Although pretty active, our sex life is boring with a capital B. I daresay it's the worst sex I've ever had....consistently. He's not really doing anything wrong, per se, there's just no passion. He's not a passionate person....and I'm not sure that's something I can live with. He's very routine, which I prefer not to be. Previous to meeting me, his ex left him because he was "too boring".

I don't think boring is word I myself would use, he's smart and perfectly able to engage in interesting conversation...he's just an extreme creature of habit. He'll actually refuse sex if it cuts into his sleep schedule 30 minutes ...which is ok I guess because it's bad anyway.

Other than that, I love him because he's a mans man, can fix anything, is extremely intelligent and kind, treats me very well, and we have tons of interests and values in common. I'm ashamed to say, I enjoy him most after he's had a couple drinks and loosens up a bit. My friends and family love him, and I adore his family.

I just don't know what to do. I've been in deadend relationships too long in the past and don't want to do the same thing again. I want to be sure. I don't know if it's just me being broken beyond repair. He wants to get married eventually...I told him I'm just not ready to talk about that yet. Hurting him is the absolute last thing I want to do....any ideas?

I quit reading at the last bolded part.

Until you get past comparing anyone and everyone to your late fiance you will never be happy.
So break up with the current guy and tell him that you are still not over the loss of your deceased fiance and you need more time even though you thought you were ready to be in a relationship.

You should have never let things go this long knowing you have been and continue to compare him to your deceased fiance. That is completely unfair to the current guy that you have led him on this long.

You have already hurt him the first time you compared him to the deceased fiance and you will hurt him when you tell him it is time to part ways, there is no getting around that.

So the fiance or is it spouse? Were you married to this guy or are you talking about someone else whom you were married to that died, then you also had a fiance who died not long ago?
Anyway, you are comparing this current guy who you say is a great guy, responsible, caring, etc, etc to a guy who cheated on you but you know he was you "soul mate"? Really?

Seriously you start out by saying how wonderful he is yet you complain that he is bad at sex? Don't know how to teach him anything he doesn't know how to do? Do you actually participate in this sex that is so bad? Is it him or you?

Old 01-14-2014, 03:38 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,661 times
Have his testosterone levels checked.

Really.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:44 PM

94 posts, read 324,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I quit reading at the last bolded part.

Until you get past comparing anyone and everyone to your late fiance you will never be happy.
So break up with the current guy and tell him that you are still not over the loss of your deceased fiance and you need more time even though you thought you were ready to be in a relationship.

You should have never let things go this long knowing you have been and continue to compare him to your deceased fiance. That is completely unfair to the current guy that you have led him on this long.

You have already hurt him the first time you compared him to the deceased fiance and you will hurt him when you tell him it is time to part ways, there is no getting around that.

Seriously you start out by saying how wonderful he is yet you complain that he is bad at sex? Don't know how to teach him anything he doesn't know how to do? Do you actually participate in this sex that is so bad? Is it him or you?
If you would have read past the bolded part of the OP's post as you described, you might have more insight and have a more sensitive outlook. While a agree with parts of what you said about her inability to separate her feelings towards the two men and how that can be causing some harm in her current relationship, it sounds like she has already identified the problem and is trying to figure out if it might be fixable. It doesn't appear that she's the one with the passion problem, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships