Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:30 PM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times

Advertisements

I thought this was an absolutely excellent and very practical blog post:

How to pick a wife if you want to have kids | Penelope Trunk Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 09:26 PM

337 posts, read 897,220 times
A how to guide on how to pick a wife? Really, that's how sad this world has become?

Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,938 times
It's 2013.

You don't need a wife to have children. An uneducated, unemployed (and fertile!) high-school dropout between the ages of 18 and 22 is always willing to have children with anyone capable of ejaculation.

Why burden yourself with the challenge of finding marriage material if all you want is a baby?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,938 times
My previous comment just received reputation points from a member who doesn't appreciate my cynicism.

Huh???

Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
A how to guide on how to pick a wife? Really, that's how sad this world has become?
Did you read it? Didn't think so. With a 41% out of wedlock birth rate and a 40% divorce rate it should be plainly obvious that our way of picking mates isn't working, and hasn't been for quite a long time.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
It's 2013.

You don't need a wife to have children. An uneducated, unemployed (and fertile!) high-school dropout between the ages of 18 and 22 is always willing to have children with anyone capable of ejaculation.

Why burden yourself with the challenge of finding marriage material if all you want is a baby?
That's unfortunately true, but off topic. Here is a good post related to that from a liberal think tank that basically admitted Dan Quayle was right 20 years ago when he said having kids out of wedlock was a bad idea:

20 years later, it turns out Dan Quayle was right about Murphy Brown and unmarried moms - Washington Post

Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,644,439 times
Hopefully the generation of online daters who have married will prove more successful than the previous ones who didn't meet online. We'll see the studies and comparisons in 20 years of what percentage of which group of couples were divorced or unhappily married. My money is on the spouses who met online outlasted those who didn't.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Hopefully the generation of online daters who have married will prove more successful than the previous ones who didn't meet online. We'll see the studies and comparisons in 20 years of what percentage of which group of couples were divorced or unhappily married. My money is on the spouses who met online outlasted those who didn't.
Honestly, I don't think the online dating will make a difference one way or the other. Our problem is we base relationships too heavily on love/attraction and not enough on other practical issues. I'm not saying attraction/love/passion doesn't matter...just that the other more "boring" stuff that actually keeps relationships together tends to be ignored, especially among younger folks.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,175,221 times
Directed towards the OP…

I find a few errors with this blog….

I may have misread since I scanned through it so forgive me in advance if I am off point…

Theory number one…

Find a wife whom is successful and makes good money…and a man can be the stay at home father…

This is great in theory and does in part work for SOME…however I will state that career minded women will tend to have children later in life if they choose to at all..
2nd…The clear division of labor is very muddied and the blogger did not really go into depth regarding this issue..

Throughout our recent history of women working full time, being paid competitive wages and so forth…
There is “Sociology” term dubbed “The Second shift” Meaning that when mommy has put in a 13 hour day comes home and puts down her purse? Those kids are hers! ‘
There is a huge double standard whether or not we choose to ADMIT IT or not…
Dad’s that have done the grind and are the main bread winners come home, they go to the bathroom, do their business, some take a shower, come out freshly clean and sit for dinner and a show. They say hi to the kiddos, ask
how their day was and that is the extent.
Mom? Kids running and leaping, mom sits down, kisses the kids, asks them if their homework is done, they sit there and recant the event of the day, mom takes the kids a bath, reviews the meetings, the game times, emailing the teacher about this and that and asks dad if their “projects” are done.
Washes clothes because dad forgot and ect…

3rd…Let us say by a act of congress “stay at home dad has his ish together?”
Mom working very late hours, having to go out of town for conferences does not sit well with anyone, there is an obvious strain in the relationship…
Mom regardless of where she is on the professional ladder, no matter how far past she has busted through that glass ceiling she is a MOTHER..and guilt will set in eventually because while we are a “Modern society” according to this blogger ROLES still exist in the unspoken word and the most important under tow of life.

So good luck with this and the blogger..lmao,.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 PM

337 posts, read 897,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Did you read it? Didn't think so. With a 41% out of wedlock birth rate and a 40% divorce rate it should be plainly obvious that our way of picking mates isn't working, and hasn't been for quite a long time.
No. Why would I read it? I would never turn to an online blog to help me decide the mother of my children/wife. That's a shame the stats are so high, but they don't affect me. Selfish? Yes, but no care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships