Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 07:07 PM

5 posts, read 4,651 times

Advertisements

I have known a man for 10 months and formed a good friendship. After a 38 year marriage ended he fell in love with a woman he was with for 6 months before she ended the relationship a year ago due to her x husband supposedly being jealous and her job insecurity as she wasn't sure if she would remain in Brisbane. A year later she is still in Brisbane with the same job but signed up to boot camp and boxing classes 7 months ago to get fitter for better work employment prospects in the mines...her goal. The man I met has run hot and cold, he joined her boot camp and boxing classes 5 months ago and is around her 3-4 nights per week. She also remains on his Facebook account and he is constantly watching her activity and liking her comments. He reckons that she is a no go with him so he asked me on a cruise which I came back from a week ago. We had fun but he again ran hot and cold, was very quiet. The cruise was booked a year earlier for his x girlfriend to accompany him so I was the replacement so the booking was not wasted I guess. Prior to going he said he would enjoy long, slow time getting to know me yet he kept logging into facebook and the morning we docked back in Brisbane he was laying beside me liking her posts on facebook. He has always been honest and admitted that he still loves her. I have told him on numerous occasions that he will never heal if he continues the contact with her. He says he is having trouble letting her go. A day after we returned from the cruise I sent him a message saying I was not going to continue with thoughts of "Us" as his heart was with her and I would not compete with that. He said that he understood and was still getting there. I feel like I was plan B although he says I wasn't. I met all his family and he was very affectionate around them yet I was not on his facebook nor was my friendship with him made knowledge to his friends. When we went out his figeted to avoid holding my hand in public. I suspect he was fearful that we would run into her or one of her friends. I wonder if in front of his family he was trying to portray that he was moving on....I was a façade. But to his friends I did not exist as he was scared they would tell his x about me and it would dash his hopes of getting her back. ??? I am very much in love with this man but have completely severed contact in a nice way telling him I cannot remain "in contact" friends. I am stuck not knowing if he was a lost cause, if I should have hung in there, if I should give him time alone to heal. I have told him that when he gets his head in a better place to look me up. There is nothing more I can do is there? Maybe I should forget him totally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 07:13 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
So you like 'hot' getting burned and 'cold' the cold shoulder?

You are # 2. He admits he still loves her.

I think you know what to do. Move on to someone who views you as #1.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:15 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Actions speak louder than words.

You know in your heart he is not totally invested in your relationship. Listen to your gut.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:17 PM

Thank you funymann for your reply. My philosophy these last 10 months has been that she doesn't want him, I do, and when he healed if he was going to be with someone I was hoping it was me. I fell in love with him before I found out about facebook and bottcamp etc so stupid me was hooked totally.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:20 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
If you always want to be second best and know that he "settled" for you because he cannot have the woman he wants hang on and wait for him and waste your life away.

Otherwise move on and forget about him completely, cut off all contact and do not respond to any contact initiated by him.
There is no human on this planet worth that much aggrivation.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:22 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,006,311 times
You shouldn't ever have to "win" someone.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:27 PM

22,595 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
You shouldn't ever have to "win" someone.
Seriously.
The OP makes him seem like a cheap prize from the carny midway...

Old 01-25-2014, 07:28 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,052,526 times
He was married 38 years and then established a relationship with another woman? Are we talking about a man who is in his 60's? How old are you if you don't mind my asking? I'm surprised a man in that age bracket is playing on facebook!

Old 01-25-2014, 07:30 PM

I have a terrible mix of anger/sadness. Angry that he kept telling me I was not Plan B yet I knew if she ever snapped her fingers I would be sent packing. She will never have him back, he developed prostrate cancer during the relationship and subsequent surgery has badly affected him. What woman 14 years younger wants to have an inadequate love life. I saw more than sex in him, all I can say is that he lost a woman (me) who would have stood by him no matter what. His loss and yes I have to move on and stay severed from him.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:30 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,433,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Seriously.
The OP makes him seem like a cheap prize from the carny midway...

Aw. I was going to compare him to this ol' classic, but ya beat me to it:

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships