Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 04:28 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I poop on partners in crime.
That and:

"Work hard, play harder"
"I love to live, love and laugh" No sh*t, really!?
"I can't believe I'm on here" or "My friends..." Uh huh, sure.

Cross Fit pictures, anything yoga, women at the range, "extreme" activities, bragging about them when it's probably a once a year event.

Actually, a good chunk of my profile pokes fun at these and other cliches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 04:47 AM

Part of my OKC profile. It's over 2000 words total. I'm a tad verbose. After some time I tweaked it to entertain myself. I figured, if I'm entertained by it then there's a high chance my "kind" will be, too. And I was right.

Quote:
My self-summary (I embedded links in certain areas)
(For y'all using the app feature, you're missing out on some cool linkies. You may wish to hop on your 'puter to receive the full awesomeness that is to come.)

What you're about to read is awesome, so awesome, in fact, that it deserves its own score. This one is also pretty bad ass. (only accessed via computer)

Time Travel Companion Wanted: Safety Not Guaranteed (bonus points for those who get this reference)

I have successfully traveled to France in the year 1405. I have toured beautiful chateaux and walked over brick highways. The night sky of this era is amazing, almost eerily beautiful. The air is crisp and clear, the sky full of stars and the most amazing thing is nothing, nothing is in the air. No helicopters, no balloons, no airplanes, no satellites... nothing. Nothing but the cool night breeze whispering the secrets of yesterday.

In my time of travels, I have witnessed things more amazing than words can express. Travels that even the most veteran of Travelers cannot even compare to. In sharing this it is my hope that I will find a special someone to Travel with, to share in those special, amazing moments, to learn and grow from the experiences. To tell of the amazing journey of Travel.

Well... not really, but y'all get the picture. Yes, it should be apparent that I do enjoy the concept of time travel and I enjoy any and all (preferably well made) movies about such topic. Anyway, I am most assuredly looking for a partner to take a journey with, and that journey being Life. So, who is up for the adventure?

The good stuff: I'll preface this by saying I actually have something to say in this coming section... shocker, I know. I promise I will not bore you with cliches about wanting to find prince charming (doesn't exist, I think?) and how I love to live, love and laugh (Seriously? I'm all for a positive outlook on life, but I don't do cliches or bumper sticker slogans.) So, fair warning, my profile contains more than a few words. Lets hope some of you don't have a short attention span (and I say this in the nicest way possible).

Now, onto our regularly scheduled programming!

1. My former alias is aeonalux, which has absolutely no relation to the 90's sci-fi MTV series or movie Aeon Flux starring Charlize Theron (though I enjoyed both). If you're at all curious about the story behind it I'll gladly tell it; however, be prepared for my nerdy side to be exposed.

2. Turn offs:

Bible-thumpers. I have no tolerance for religious exclusivism and fundamentalism. Zilch.
Pick up lines
Text speak and lazy typing/writing (I make exceptions for "lol," "lmao" and a few others)
Willful ignorance
Superficiality
Asshattery
Dumbassery

Turn ons:

Intelligence
Humility
Compassion
Sarcasm
Wordsmiths
Intellectual discourse
Badassery -- like the kind seen in awesome action flicks! (Think Linda Hamilton -- Sarah Connor in Terminator 2 [I want to be like her when I grow up!] and Liam Neeson in Taken.)
Tattoos -- what can I say, I'm a chick who loves ink

3. I'm a movie junkie. I love sci-fi, action, fantasy, independent, foreign, suspense/thriller, and psychological horror. I also like a good comedy and rom-com. Cinema is a big, big part of my life. I was raised on it. I am very much a cinephile. I'd like to think of myself as pretty easy going and laid back. Other hobbies, I used to be really into photography, but I don't have much time for it anymore. Debating is one of my favorite pastimes. I love a good philosophical and religious debate. Let me tell you, I'm quite adept in that area. Just sayin'.

4. I'm pretty warm and likable once you get to know me. My matter-of-fact tone may be off-putting at first, but don't let that fool you, I really am a genuine and sincere person. At least, I like to think so.

5. I'm looking to make a connection and see where things go. That is not code for friends with benefits. Just gettin' that out there now. Feel free to inquire about anything should we strike up a conversation (this excludes messages like "hit me up boo," "how u doin sexay thang" and others of similar ilk.)

6. At the risk of narrowing my dating pool even further, I have to get this out. I'm not one who travels the world over (though I have traveled and lived elsewhere). I also don't make it a habit of attending yoga class every chance I get, and I don't wake up every morning like I'm a brand new baby. Also, I'm not terribly outdoorsy. Everyone and their three legged sister on these online dating sites loves running, hiking, camping, kayaking, rolling in the mud, skydiving, boating, treasure hunting, descending into caves (where carnivorous humanoid creatures await) etc.

That's just not me. I will do some of these things on occasion (treasure hunting and wrecking mayhem on creatures in caves...) and I won't be a grouch when I do (as I legitimately have fun), but I'm not the person to suggest that we do these activities... unless it involves treasure hunting and said creatures. Nature can be attractive, and I enjoy being surrounded by it, but I *live* for ideas... I'm very cerebral. Ideas tend to be found in such places like books or on the W3. Even those ideas that deal with nature.

With that said, none of this implies I don't enjoy being active... moving around and getting out, but I don't feel I have to climb Mount Everest or wrestle a bear to do so.

P.S., for you childless or younger folks, say, <35, as you can see in my details located to the right >, I, gasp, have children. I am currently separated, going through a divorce, and have only one baby daddy. Keep this in mind if you decide to strike up a conversation with me. I tend to exclusively date older men partly due to this reason -- they typically have children and are at a similar place in life.

P.P.S., I realize we all come with a past/history, but please, please be emotionally mature and available. I am not looking to get involved with someone who is otherwise confused about what he wants or what he's looking for.

What I’m doing with my life
School stuff, kid stuff and scaring prospective suitors away with my very verbose and fantastically snarky profile.

I’m really good at
Hopscotch, jump rope, drawing stick figures, being late to important appointments, Chutes and Ladders, fleeing from cops, shopping for good deals at the 99 cent store, and many others.

See, I'm adept in a variety of areas.

In all seriousness, I have a knack for debating. I'm damn good at it, especially philosophical and religious debates. Metaphysics (cosmology) and philosophy of religion are two of my favorite branches of philosophy.

I'm really good at being me, in which case I'm awesome (if you don't sense a certain level of sarcasm we likely won't click well.)

No. I really am awesome. If you're at all curious or familiar with MBTI, this is me, but I have also received this as my result, too. Perhaps my answers vary depending on my mood.

The first things people usually notice about me
You tell me, although I'm thinking my superb knitting skills.
My beau's was even longer, which surprised me because I rarely came across very lengthy men's profiles.

Last edited by Metaphysique; 02-15-2014 at 04:56 AM..

Old 02-15-2014, 07:59 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Great profile metaphysique! Gosh I'd write to you just to be friends lol. Yes I do wish people would put more of themselves into a profile, rather than a laundry list of things they like to do, which is just like everyone else's list. On my last one I put quite a lot of myself into it and met a perfect match for me, but the distance was too great and now I'm not in a position to date. I really got caught up in that "relationship" while it lasted, though it was mostly penpals.

Another thing that drives me crazy on cupid, is that part where it says "Most private thing I'm willing to admit." More than 90% of folks will say something like "Well if I told you it wouldn't be private" and somehow they think they're being witty lol. Well maybe it's a stupid section, but I see it as an opportunity to tell a funny story on yourself so I always put some reference to how you'll have to ask me about the time I milked a goat upside-down. I mean, anyone should be able to come up with some kind of mildly embarrassing but funny story from their past right? Even if you can't beat the milking a goat upside-down story!

Old 02-15-2014, 09:13 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Great profile metaphysique! Gosh I'd write to you just to be friends lol. Yes I do wish people would put more of themselves into a profile, rather than a laundry list of things they like to do, which is just like everyone else's list. On my last one I put quite a lot of myself into it and met a perfect match for me, but the distance was too great and now I'm not in a position to date. I really got caught up in that "relationship" while it lasted, though it was mostly penpals.

Another thing that drives me crazy on cupid, is that part where it says "Most private thing I'm willing to admit." More than 90% of folks will say something like "Well if I told you it wouldn't be private" and somehow they think they're being witty lol. Well maybe it's a stupid section, but I see it as an opportunity to tell a funny story on yourself so I always put some reference to how you'll have to ask me about the time I milked a goat upside-down. I mean, anyone should be able to come up with some kind of mildly embarrassing but funny story from their past right? Even if you can't beat the milking a goat upside-down story!
This is my pseudo opinion on online dating. I believe that people don't want to work. I can put myself in that category as well. After I rewrote my profile the other day, I realized this is work. If I'm truly wanting to get the right woman for me out of this, I need to work at it. By that, it does require to have a good profile up. Pictures are just "eh" to me. They are your best looks. I usually ask for pics once we start messaging by text.

I see women's profiles who just don't want to do the work. They want to show up and have men fall at their feet. Those women I feel have the Disney complex. They all feel they are Belle of the ball and the Prince is going to come in and chase after them. Most Belle's are likely already married, so for the rest of us, we have to put in work to get what we want in the end.

Don't get me wrong, I believe guys do the same, because I've kinda done it. I just know that if I'm going to put in work, I have to see it through to the end. I can't just show up with a big plate and expect it to be filled.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:54 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
This is my pseudo opinion on online dating. I believe that people don't want to work. I can put myself in that category as well. After I rewrote my profile the other day, I realized this is work. If I'm truly wanting to get the right woman for me out of this, I need to work at it. By that, it does require to have a good profile up. Pictures are just "eh" to me. They are your best looks. I usually ask for pics once we start messaging by text.

I see women's profiles who just don't want to do the work. They want to show up and have men fall at their feet. Those women I feel have the Disney complex. They all feel they are Belle of the ball and the Prince is going to come in and chase after them. Most Belle's are likely already married, so for the rest of us, we have to put in work to get what we want in the end.

Don't get me wrong, I believe guys do the same, because I've kinda done it. I just know that if I'm going to put in work, I have to see it through to the end. I can't just show up with a big plate and expect it to be filled.
Weezer, I believe you're totally right about this. When I put work into my profile, I get better matches and less stupid stuff. However, men aren't really any better than women about working at it--they just throw up a profile and expect their pix to do the talking. We looked at profiles of both genders and they're pretty equal that way.

This to the general population, not just weezer: I don't want to know that you love all music except rap--I want to know some of your favorite bands--otherwise I don't really believe you love music at all. Big difference between someone who listened to mostly Kansas in high school and those who were more likely to listen to Cat Stevens (my age is talking!) and again a big diff between those who prefer certain bands to those who use music for background noise. And etc etc all down the line.

Is my profile perfectly uncliched? I doubt it but this has made me more aware of what sounds good and what doesn't. I def recommend sitting down with a friend of the gender you're looking to date and get a good critique.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:14 AM

896 posts, read 1,177,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
While we're comparing, uh, online profiles:

Self-summary:
"Welcome to my attempt at sounding intelligent without being gauchely conceited. How is it working thus far?

"What have I to offer? Uniqueness? There are 7 billion people out there, most of whom owe their existence to two people from the previous generation finding something unique about one another. Seems like a rather futile proposition, doesn't it? Perhaps true uniqueness is instantiated in bland predictability.

"Middle America is the land of corn. I like corn, 8 for $2 at the local grocery store; but not when it becomes processed. Processing renders most things unpalatable, if not outright toxic. Most relationships are processed, as it were. They follow a standard rubric, beginning with the standard nonsense, and ending just as predictably. Yet there’s also something to be said for the predictable, for the simple – like the raw corn. I would prefer a relationship of simplicity, and yet, one that is invigoratingly interesting. I am looking for a partner who is a keen observer of her surroundings, an incisive critic of society and an unabashed iconoclast; not a protestor for the mere sake of protest, or an idealistic reformer, but a student of the human condition, for whom humanity itself forms a sort of lab, and for whom processed solutions are insufficient."

What I'm doing with my life:
"Most of my efforts are directed at eliding self-referential remarks. Many of my efforts fail. A standard maxim: “most things aren’t worth doingâ€. Idleness with a purpose! We live in a capitalist world. A enters into transaction with B, mutually volitional, mutually beneficial – assuming that information is equally known (hah!). Some deep thinkers regard that as freedom. Others aim for higher freedoms, dismissing the former as tawdry and vain. Historically, the two have had a grand time killing each other. In modern America, they collaborate, not entirely symbiotically, but at least with uneasy peace. The best scheme for understanding that, is a kind of passive acceptance: idleness with a purpose... assuming of course that the paychecks keep coming!

And so forth....
You match me by 93%!

Old 02-15-2014, 11:21 AM

That's why I posted my online dating profile. Maybe there were some errors that I missed, but it seems that it was able to captivate well what I'm after. I do honestly believe people make online dating too hard, because they don't see it as work. You can't put in 10% and get a 100% return. Everyone wants to complain about the douchebag messages they receive. I say ignore them and keep going after the guy you feel you deserve. You feel you don't deserve a douchebag? Then stop giving them credit for messaging you by telling the world that online dating is full of doucebags. Just mentally say not interested and move on.

It's well known that men heavily outweigh women online, so women should understand that they ARE going to get douchebag messages. It just comes with the territory. There's truly good men that are being looked over, because some women just don't want to accept that they are being messaged by a douchebag. By accept, I mean that it's part of the process of online dating. As many different avenues as there are for online dating, the market has seen success. Maybe not for us yet, but if it wasn't successful, it wouldn't exist. I say, read the message, delete it if you're not interested, and move on.

If more women could not get so burnt out with the process it would be better. Again, I'm putting it back on the woman, because if I could make it to where only my messages would hit your inbox, I would. Reality is that I can't. Women just garner more attention from us men than the opposite.

In conclusion, I say come to the online dating scene expecting TO DO WORK. I think of online dating like I would think of a garden. In order for my vegetables to grow I need to tend to my garden. I need to water it, till the soil, and pull the weeds. If I want my online dating to work I need to put some work into it. I messaged a woman last night and I was discouraged that the second message was how all she got was messages from douchebags, and she was about to delete her profile, and blah blah blah. If anything, save the soapbox rant for a date. I'm realistic, there's a good chance we're going to talk about past partners on our date if we have the slightest interest in each other. I'm 30 and most everyone has had dating experience by this point.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
That's why I posted my online dating profile. Maybe there were some errors that I missed, but it seems that it was able to captivate well what I'm after. I do honestly believe people make online dating too hard, because they don't see it as work. You can't put in 10% and get a 100% return. Everyone wants to complain about the douchebag messages they receive. I say ignore them and keep going after the guy you feel you deserve. You feel you don't deserve a douchebag? Then stop giving them credit for messaging you by telling the world that online dating is full of doucebags. Just mentally say not interested and move on.

It's well known that men heavily outweigh women online, so women should understand that they ARE going to get douchebag messages. It just comes with the territory. There's truly good men that are being looked over, because some women just don't want to accept that they are being messaged by a douchebag. By accept, I mean that it's part of the process of online dating. As many different avenues as there are for online dating, the market has seen success. Maybe not for us yet, but if it wasn't successful, it wouldn't exist. I say, read the message, delete it if you're not interested, and move on.

If more women could not get so burnt out with the process it would be better. Again, I'm putting it back on the woman, because if I could make it to where only my messages would hit your inbox, I would. Reality is that I can't. Women just garner more attention from us men than the opposite.

In conclusion, I say come to the online dating scene expecting TO DO WORK. I think of online dating like I would think of a garden. In order for my vegetables to grow I need to tend to my garden. I need to water it, till the soil, and pull the weeds. If I want my online dating to work I need to put some work into it. I messaged a woman last night and I was discouraged that the second message was how all she got was messages from douchebags, and she was about to delete her profile, and blah blah blah. If anything, save the soapbox rant for a date. I'm realistic, there's a good chance we're going to talk about past partners on our date if we have the slightest interest in each other. I'm 30 and most everyone has had dating experience by this point.
If some women are truly getting that many questionable messages then I'd have to wonder what sort of message or vibe they're putting out. You get what you put out. If you want quality then you must present quality. If you want someone to see you as worthy of their time then you have to be worthy to get to know, etc.

Even when I was on PoF, while I received a lot of lackluster messages ("hi," "how are u?" and "I like your profile. Wanna chat?") messages mixed with other messages commenting on my photos (not over the top or anything), I didn't receive very many suggestive messages. One guy said: "I wonder what you can do with those lips" in one message, which I thought was funny. I said something really snarky back, and we continued bantering back and forth over a period of a couple months. I don't take offense to much, really. I received a lot of messages that I resemble a couple celebrities. A ton of those. "Hit me up boo" was always a fun one that I received on occasion in Atlanta, but outside these, nah, nothing really all that distasteful or "Oh my bob!" offensive.

I can count two slightly suggestive messages that I received on OKC, and that's inside of 2.5 years. One was from a 23 year old male slave/sub looking for a Domme, and another from a 21 year old being silly. I didn't take that one seriously at all. My matches have typically been "high caliber" men, well-educated, cultured, progressive, Humanist/free-thinkers, etc. It's interesting. I've gone out with a couple men on PoF that later joined OKC. Since PoF doesn't have a matching system it can be difficult to know in what ways you match up with someone. I'd later come across some profiles of those I've met from PoF where I'm further reminded that it wasn't going to work due to low match percentage (<70%). I typically stay in the 90's for best matches with at least 500 questions answered.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
If some women are truly getting that many questionable messages then I'd have to wonder what sort of message or vibe they're putting out. You get what you put out. If you want quality then you must present quality. If you want someone to see you as worthy of their time then you have to be worthy to get to know, etc.

Even when I was on PoF, while I received a lot of lackluster messages ("hi," "how are u?" and "I like your profile. Wanna chat?") messages mixed with other messages commenting on my photos (not over the top or anything), I didn't receive very many suggestive messages. One guy said: "I wonder what you can do with those lips" in one message, which I thought was funny. I said something really snarky back, and we continued bantering back and forth over a period of a couple months. I don't take offense to much, really. I received a lot of messages that I resemble a couple celebrities. A ton of those. "Hit me up boo" was always a fun one that I received on occasion in Atlanta, but outside these, nah, nothing really all that distasteful or "Oh my bob!" offensive.

I can count two slightly suggestive messages that I received on OKC, and that's inside of 2.5 years. One was from a 23 year old male slave/sub looking for a Domme, and another from a 21 year old being silly. I didn't take that one seriously at all.

Same here. I'm going to toot my own horn a little bit, but I truly feel if I met all the women I messaged online in real life, I'd have no free time. I'd be constantly going out on dates. Maybe I'm too stern when I feel that I'm much better than messaging each other but never meeting. Haha. The reason why I don't mingle a lot when I'm out in public, is because I'm usually out with my friends. I'm socializing with them, not on the prowl for hot @ss. Now, when I was younger and just hooking up, we'd go out in a group and then disband to hit on women. At my age now, most people have kinda broken off and settled in with their groups of friends. I'm talkative and if an attractive single lady is out in our group, I'll do a little flirting. Going out on special op missions like I'm 22 again is just no longer fun.

At 30, more and more people have settled into a routine.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:28 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
I have a few observations...

Feet
Do women post pictures of their feet because they think they are beautiful, or do they do it because they think men are enamored of women's feet? I have never understood this - I guess because I don't have a foot fetish and never thought it was that common.

Diva
Isn't a diva someone who is annoying, childish, petulant, and someone who thinks the world revolves around them? Why is it that a good percentage of women on OLD call themselves - and want to be known as a Diva?

Fishing with Someone Else's Bait
Posting a picture of yourself with someone else in the picture who is far more attractive. This is NOT a good strategy. People who click on those pics/profiles are going to be disappointed to find that you are not the attractive one. Why would you set yourself up for this kind of rejection?

I do not date outside my race
If race is that important to you, that's fine. Your choice. But why do you have to put this in your profile and insult a whole half race of people when you could just ignore any messages one of them has sent you. Can't you see it as a compliment that someone likes your profile - instead of an insult that someone of a certain race likes your profile.

Security Carelessness
Please be aware of the information you are leaving in your photos and profiles. Many of you leave too much information - as in the badge you are wearing on your uniform with your name on it. Or, something in the background of the photo that indicates exactly where you live.

Your Children
Why in the world anyone would post a picture of their child is beyond me. What do you have to gain by exposing your child like this? All you have to do is say "I have children."

35, Absolutely Gorgeous
Ok 35 is a pretty median age. And yes your picture is extremely sexy - beyond model level. You live thousands of miles away when I first notice your profile, but next time I see it, you now live 300 miles away from me; close enough to ignite an interest, but far enough away that it is inconvenient to come visit on a whim; so it is best that we exchange information (mostly my information) by mail. Our compatible percentages are far closer than I remember, and you are dying to meet me, a man almost twice your age. "Here write me at this email address or call or text me at this number." Really, are there that many stupid men on OLD?

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 04-30-2017 at 08:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships