Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you adopt the Religion of your spouse?
I am a man and I adopted the religion of my wife 0 0%
I am a man and I did not adopt the religion of my wife 5 41.67%
I am a woman and I adopted the religion of my husband 2 16.67%
I am a woman and I did not adopt the religion of my husband 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 03:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I was born and raised Catholic, my husband was born and raised Lutheran. Neither one of us adopted the other's religion, however he did get married in my church and agree to raise our children Catholic.
The reverse is true for my husband and I. I'm the lifelong Lutheran, he's the lifelong Catholic. We have each retained our individual affiliations. We were married in my Lutheran church. We are on military orders right now and far from our home parish/congregation, and we generally attend a Lutheran church we've found and like near our base. Prior to our move, we would usually attend one another's church regularly. Catholic mass and Lutheran service are more similar than different, though, and one needn't convert or be a member to attend, in either case. We don't have children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 03:31 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
We shared the same general belief system (Christianity), but attended different churches as we grew up. While growing up we both came to the decision that organized corporate-based churches weren't what either of us wanted and found a small locally-owned church to attend together now and then.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:35 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
more similar than different
I think this is most often the case for those who end up adopting.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I don't think that my husband plans to become a Lutheran, however, nor do I plan to become a Catholic.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:17 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Wife is from Denmark. Danish people are not religious. They are Lutherans.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:51 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
There needs to be an "other" category.

My ex-husband and I were both Christian of the Independent Fundamental Baptist variety, though his exposure wasn't nearly as heavy as mine (he went to church mainly with his grandparents). When we married we rededicated our lives to the Church and became heavily involved in our faith and "Christian walk." Some five years later I deconverted from classical theism entirely, and he followed suit. However, I was convinced he was always a skeptic deep down, so his deconversion process was not like mine, which altogether was about a year long process. For him it was practically the instant I declared I was no longer part of the faith. We had a few discussions and he soon realized he, too, was a skeptic at heart.

My journey thereafter took a different and varied turn, which in turn led me to where I am today. I've been on the entire spectrum of religiosity from hyper-fundamentalism to strong/explicit atheism/metaphysical naturalism. He, on the other hand, didn't make the same journey. He's still an atheist/apatheist, which is no biggie since I am a relative metaphysical atheist (strong/explicit relative to mythological deities) -- agnostic pandeist with various leanings (Buddhist, Taoist, Advaitist, and Pagan).

Since then I have dated fellow nontheists, usually agnostics, atheists or pantheists/pandeists. My beau is atheist, strong/explicit relative to mythological deities, and perhaps agnostic relative to a First Cause (like me). For the most part he identifies himself as an atheist.

So, in my case, since I only date or pursue those who have similar metaphysical leanings, there is nothing for either party to really adopt. However, in the past I've had partners take on or adopt certain classifications within nontheism as I gave them a better understanding of the different positions held.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:54 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,875 times
I have no need for a religion, married or otherwise.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:12 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,578 times
Two more options that could have captured more people:

- Neither spouse is religious.

- Both spouses are the same religion.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:17 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
I wouldn't date someone for whom religion is important in the first place.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:21 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I wouldn't date someone for whom religion is important in the first place.
Besides my first boyfriend who was a buffet style Catholic, I've never dated anyone religious. I don't think it would have worked. My mom was Christian and my dad was Jewish but my father was an agnostic Jew and my mom basically believes in a higher power and that's about it. Neither one converted for the other and I wasn't raised with either religion beyond celebrating the holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships