Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 04:35 PM

457 posts, read 605,159 times

Advertisements

It's funny this is a topic because I gave up texting for Lent, partly because it would force me to call more often rather than the convenience of texting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 04:39 PM

457 posts, read 605,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguysa View Post
I guess I see it the other way, texting just adds to levels of communication between two people when done right.

For example, you might call and talk for 15-20 mins in the evening, but with texting, you can be in contact with that person all day long. Is that really so bad?

Also, in defense of the "here" text, girls and people in general have gotten so used to it that lots of times they aren't as comfortable with you just coming up to the door without letting them know you have arrived first.
In today's hectic and thrill a minute world, texting is pretty much necessary. It is unfortunate, though.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:46 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngroh View Post
In today's hectic and thrill a minute world, texting is pretty much necessary. It is unfortunate, though.
We most definitely have a choice. I choose to leave my phone at home and just use it for important stuff.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:20 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

If that's not a new "go to" sign of disinterest, I dunno what is.

Classic.

(However, he could have a minute phone and is short on minutes. And/Or he might have been busy but still wanted to acknowledge)

5. The Call to Text Dodge
When the confusion finally gets the best of me and I call them to clarify what they really mean and they don’t pick up, instead responding with another text, this makes me want to pull my hair out. They just mentioned they were at home eating pizza and watching House of Cards! Did they lose their phone over the course of 10 seconds? I just want to find out about brunch plans!

^That one right there...
Lol, yeah that's just shyness if it's the opposite sex.
Mine was he has 3 other babes.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
We most definitely have a choice. I choose to leave my phone at home and just use it for important stuff.
Yeah, I don't even have my phone with me the majority of the time. I guarantee this does NOT make me part of the majority, but it sure does work for me.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:40 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,639,161 times
Different experience and opinion for me as texting hasn't ruined my dating life in any of the ways listed.

The Mysterious Ellipse is inapplicable to me as I don't really converse with guys but issue demands/orders so I wouldn't be around waiting 10 minutes or even 3 minutes for a reply. Either he does it or he doesn't do it and I find another guy who will.

Punctuation Paranoia is also inapplicable to me as I don't care how my message comes across emotionally to the guy.

Emoticon Overload is also inapplicable as I don't care what he puts in his text as long as it's agreeing to my demands/orders.

Libido Killing LOL is laughably inapplicable to me as I have no intention and being used sexually for his gratification so my libido can't be killed as it's nonexistent in his regard.

The Call To Text Dodge is inapplicable as I use texting so I don't have to bother with his voice so I wouldn't call him.

The Text Pick Up is hilariously inapplicable to me as I have no intention in letting a guy pick me up at my house which to me is a safety issue of him knowing where I live and him having some control of the transportation and I find a male in control is generally not helpful to a gal's safety.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:14 PM

683 posts, read 853,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My husband and I text for short, memo-type stuff that doesn't warrant interrupting the other person at work, or call for a full conversation....like "leaving work now, on my way, " or "please pick up milk," or similar. We don't do detailed, social conversations via text.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. I think that is normal. Full blown convo's is ridiculous in my opinion. You could have just picked up the phone and said what you had to say. Probably longer to text than have a short convo.

Especially when you first a meet a person. How do you get to know them through text? Crazy but a lot of people do that.

Last edited by deboinair; 04-07-2014 at 04:49 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 04:34 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
The sentiments in this article sound exactly like we always talk about here!

Six ways texting is ruining dating (in GIFs) | Sex Files | Life | Toronto Sun
I'm old school, we didn't have all this back when I was younger, so it was telephone or snail mail.This meant you had to talk face to face , this took time and meant really getting to known the person, where as today folks share to much about themselves right off the bat most of it pretty private stuff, since there no face to face or talking over a phone... I think all the tech stuff of today has taken away from the magic of hooking up...Sad really. .

Old 04-07-2014, 06:01 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,903,386 times
Some posters are starting to get into the "textiquette" area... which is largely, BS. If I don't respond for an hour, I don't respond. All of that could be solved just by dialing the damn number. And if necessary, leaving a voicemail message to supplement the text. If it's that serious, you'd call. Ugh.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
When I was a classroom teacher, I was always ASTOUNDED at people who would text me and expect an accounting of why I didn't text them back until after school hours. Hi, I'm a teacher, jackass, I don't sit on my phone during the workday like some of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships