Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Get Along With Your DIL or SIL
Yes 27 61.36%
No 17 38.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 02:31 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I had the most disgusting pig of a mother-in-law; I hated that woman and couldn't stand the sight of her because she treated me like garbage.

...and I'm sure she's still waddling around the Rugby town center bellyaching to her friends about how "mean" I allegedly was. She thought I was a spoiled rich b*tch, and thought I never did any housework. (I did all of it.) Basically she never gave me a chance and hated me from the beginning and after a while I stopped making any effort with her and just tried to keep from arguing with her. There were so many times I wanted to slap that disgusting smirk of hers off her stupid ugly face but I managed to restrain myself.

But I'm sure she tells everyone it's all MY fault. Lying stupid cow.

My point is this...all MILs who complain about their DILs...I take all of it with a grain of salt because of my own experience. Dig deep and REALLY think about your relationship with your DIL; I'm sure many of you will see that at least SOME of it is your fault. I don't believe that the world is really full of perfect MILs and evil DILs, or vice versa.
Wow.....you must have been trough hell, and back, with her!!!
I am blessed, and consider myself so incredibly lucky, to have now a wonderful, wonderful MIL.
If I am at wits end, troubled, and can't call my parents in Germany....I'd call her.
Boy, again....am I lucky.....huh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 03:28 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,147,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
I am blessed, and consider myself so incredibly lucky, to have now a wonderful, wonderful MIL.
If I am at wits end, troubled, and can't call my parents in Germany....I'd call her.
Yep, you are. You really are. I never liked my in-laws even before they became my in-laws but I was always polite and courteous to them even when they were rude and coarse to me. I hoped that they would warm to me. I was wrong.

In my current relationship I get along with all of my BF's relatives that I've met so far. We get along like a house on fire...his dad, his mom, his stepdad, his brother, his sister, etc. all like me and I like them. We're off to a good start. However, I still have his children to meet.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:12 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I had the most disgusting pig of a mother-in-law; I hated that woman and couldn't stand the sight of her because she treated me like garbage.

...and I'm sure she's still waddling around the Rugby town center bellyaching to her friends about how "mean" I allegedly was. She thought I was a spoiled rich b*tch, and thought I never did any housework. (I did all of it.) Basically she never gave me a chance and hated me from the beginning and after a while I stopped making any effort with her and just tried to keep from arguing with her. There were so many times I wanted to slap that disgusting smirk of hers off her stupid ugly face but I managed to restrain myself.

But I'm sure she tells everyone it's all MY fault. Lying stupid cow.

My point is this...all MILs who complain about their DILs...I take all of it with a grain of salt because of my own experience. Dig deep and REALLY think about your relationship with your DIL; I'm sure many of you will see that at least SOME of it is your fault. I don't believe that the world is really full of perfect MILs and evil DILs, or vice versa.
well, I'm sorry you've had this experience....I have a DIL who hates me, so, whataya say, you be my DIL....?

So sorry for your experience....

Old 12-12-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Yes you are blessed, indeed....unfortunately, my DIL has some severe mental diress....I think if she got help, she'd be perfect, b/c there are times when she is so much fun...but she has to have center stage 24/7 and if she doesn't she first starts to sulk, then if that doesn't work, she gets this really angry look on her face...then she starts to become very verbal....and her temper is really frightening...she swears, and becomes very, unlady like, and she doesn't have control....she looses it in front of everyone and anyone...
very very sad. B/c so many people from our side of the family has done so much for her...she really has no family of her own....it is very sad....and I tell you true, she was accepted. I think she is afraid....afraid of giving anyone a chance, so she sabotages relationships before they flourish...she fears people won't like her....

Yes, dear lady, you are very lucky and glad you know it....

Hugs

Old 12-12-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
My MIL (long dead now) couldn't abide either of her sons marrying. I overheard her say when she didn't know I was in the house, "My sons are going to marry who they damn please."

Well ... DUH.
Yes, I have known mother in laws like this...very controlling as well....I had one like that...she was toxic....very difficult to stomach...she had to be in control of EVERYTHING....would even call us and tell us how much we should give for someone's present, bought all my china, crystal, my wedding dress, all without asking me.....

My other mother in law was a gem....She was wonderful....and I loved her dearly...we were good friends...and I wanted her to come and live with us...she found the love of her life and married....he treated her like gold and she deserved it....

Old 12-13-2007, 09:55 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,317 times
LOL Creme. You reminded me of my wedding day - speak of controlling. MY MIL took the knife out of my hand to cut the cake and said in front of everyone, "You do it THIS way."

Old 12-13-2007, 01:51 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,454 times
Quote:
LOL Creme. You reminded me of my wedding day - speak of controlling. MY MIL took the knife out of my hand to cut the cake and said in front of everyone, "You do it THIS way."

Old 12-13-2007, 04:41 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,163,499 times
Ummm - I get along with my FIL (he realizes I'm actually a normal person, compared to his children) He has been very good to me and my family....Love him dearly

I don't see my other inlaws - sister inlaws, brother inlaw. I can take em' or leave em'. They purdy much suck and care about themselves, but I have learned to accept them for the way they are - Weirdo's!!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 04:58 PM

371 posts, read 2,029,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yanno, no matter where you go, or what you do...hmmm, lets start again....

If my son and his wife had problems that would cause them to have to come and live with me, no matter how much I told them I wanted them to do it....it, is VERY difficult to have other people, no matter who they are, come into your home and live with you....if I had a girlfriend come and live with me, it would be difficult...and believe me, I'm not taking sides here....but living with other people is very trying and stressful, b/c we all have our own way of doing things....and sometimes what you do, or say, a very simple thing, may very well offend someone else, and you didn't mean it that way, but unfortunately, they took it as a personal attack against their character....and the same thing with their furniture and belongs in their home....that is their sanctuary, their most very privet place to unwind and relax, the way the want to, and now, when you have someone come in and live with you, everything changes....nothing is ever the same, and it may make relationships better, but on a more realistic note, it usually strains relationship.....it is a constant work in progress situation...so if you can make it on your own, please do so, for every one's better ment...or if you cannot, then do all you can, to get out...and the relationship will heal. You must always remember, you are a guest and this is their home....yanno?
Creme - You must have the BIGGEST heart of any one I have read on this board. You have such thoughtful responses and sincerity.

I totally agree with you on the living arrangements. We had our inlaws visit and stay with us for a month. I thought things were going well until one morning my son woke up on the wrong side of the bed and was pretty unruly at the breakfast table (he's 5 years old). Any ways, I was too tired to deal and sent him away from the table. My MIL looked at my husband and I and said, "Don't correct me please" and she gets up from the table and picks my son up and puts him in time out. I was furious. Actually I was more than furious. I said did your MIL every correct your children after you had already handled it and she says yes. I asked her how she felt and she said it was too long ago to rember. By the way, she never liked her MIL and still speaks ill of her even though she's passed on. That was our only blow up, but she was ready to get on the plane and leave, but we talked it out. We also ended up hugging.

Everyone has different habits and schedules and to be in someone else's house is stressful for both parties. Kind of sad, but I believe anyone, relative or friends, 3 days is optimum. My stepmom says she won't stay longer than fish keeps in the fridge, which around 3 days. I love my MIL, but we are very different. We have one thing in common and that is our love for her son. She raised an amazing man and so therefore, she can't be all that bad from a Mom's perspective raising my son now. Peace!

Old 12-13-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
OMG...I had a mother in law like that, she was unbelievable...and just as you say...it really really stinks...doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships