Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 09:23 PM

53 posts, read 196,867 times

Advertisements

I met this guy a few weeks ago on a long flight to South America and we ended up talking most of the trip. We live about 45 min away from each other and based on our great conversation - and confirmation on both ends we were single - I was half expecting him to ask for my number or something when we got off the plane. The circumstances were such that we sort of went our separate ways abruptly without really saying goodbye and so I figured that was that, however he's been on my mind a lot lately and I can't seem to shake it off.

I decided to try and find him online and the only place I could track him down was on LinkedIn (no picture, but the name and life stats match). I'd like to reach out, but I can't decide if messaging him on that site would make me come off creepy since LinkedIn isn't exactly the best or obvious forum for personal matters.

Thoughts? Just trying to get an outsider's perspective since, although I thought he felt similarly at the time, I really have no idea if this will be out of the blue for him or not and I haven't done something like this before. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 09:26 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlove View Post
I met this guy a few weeks ago on a long flight to South America and we ended up talking most of the trip. We live about 45 min away from each other and based on our great conversation - and confirmation on both ends we were single - I was half expecting him to ask for my number or something when we got off the plane. The circumstances were such that we sort of went our separate ways abruptly without really saying goodbye and so I figured that was that, however he's been on my mind a lot lately and I can't seem to shake it off.

I decided to try and find him online and the only place I could track him down was on LinkedIn (no picture, but the name and life stats match). I'd like to reach out, but I can't decide if messaging him on that site would make me come off creepy since LinkedIn isn't exactly the best or obvious forum for personal matters.

Thoughts? Just trying to get an outsider's perspective since, although I thought he felt similarly at the time, I really have no idea if this will be out of the blue for him or not and I haven't done something like this before. Thanks!
You've got nothing to lose - I say go for it!

Just write you post in a "professional" sounding voice so it won't look stalkerish on that site

Old 07-08-2014, 09:34 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
I would do it! And I would make it very clear that it was ok if he said 'no'.

Something like, 'Hello, it was very nice to meet you on the flight to Wherever. I hope you don't mind me messaging you. I think it might be fun to keep in touch, but if you'd rather not, that is fine, too.'

Old 07-08-2014, 09:39 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,278,510 times
I agree, do it!

Hey, you might get a good business connection out of it, too! Haha

Old 07-08-2014, 09:42 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
IMO, all you have to do on LinkedIn is make the contact, and ask him for his email # once he's accepted your link invite. Who cares if it's creepy; you have no other way to reach him, so it's either try this or forget about him completely. The worst that can happen is he'll decline to respond. I don't think it's creepy.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:03 PM

377 posts, read 532,807 times
That happens all the time, people from your past friending you on facebook, I get contacts all the time on Linkedin, it's perfectly normal. Just say that you really enjoyed the conversation you had, and wanted to continue, but never had the opportunity to get the phone number. If the conversation was good enough that you stalked him...j/k....then I'm sure it's mutual. The guy wouldn't have told you he was single if he wasn't interested, that's the easiest and painless way of getting out of a conversation.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:05 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Do it.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:13 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
I'm basically in agreement with everyone else, just do it! It really is common for people to add people they met through FB, Linkedin, etc. It seems like he was into you, so you should be okay if you just tell him who you are, and what not.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:14 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
If I may play devil's advocate for a moment...

A flight from South America to what I am assuming is the US is a LONG flight. The guy was locked into a seat next to the OP, who could be misconstruing his politeness for ... attraction.

Also, it seems like the guy had plenty of opportunities to exchange numbers if he wanted to. It's not as if it's a big surprise when the plane lands.

So, OP, as long as you consider these things ^^^, I say go for it, but keep your message short and benign, as in, "Hi, just checking to see if you were the Joe Blow who sat next to me on the flight from Santiago."

And PLEASE report back!

Old 07-08-2014, 10:41 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlove View Post

I wouldn't do it. But I'm old fashioned. I figure if he wanted to stay in touch, he would have made it known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships