Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2014, 02:42 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

There has been theorizing that attraction via pheromones indicates genetic compatibility.
Humans have a weak sense of smell and wear scent masking agents. If you really want to see how someone smells, have them wear no deodorant for a month. If you like B.O., then that's what pheromones are. Let me ask you a question....would you find a woman attractive if you had your nose plugged? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 02:43 PM

Everyone is somewhat shallow. Let's get real. Men and Women. It's our biology.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:43 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Humans have a weak sense of smell and wear scent masking agents. If you really want to see how someone smells, have them wear no deodorant for a month. If you like B.O., then that's what pheromones are. Let me ask you a question....would you find a woman attractive if you had your nose plugged? LOL
Just saying it's been proposed that scent is a part of attraction. When I'm with a guy and he is sweaty, it's a sexy man smell. I like it. But if someone else smells sweaty it's not appealing to me. /shrug
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-17-2014, 05:48 PM

"But such good looks come at a price. Although healthy and strong, these men lack the qualities that women desire in a long-term romantic partnership. "

Your citation excerpt supports my comments.

There are a lot of factors with women choosing men, and looks are usually a high priority factor, but it can be offset with a LOT of other factors.

I don't see any of this being exclusive to either gender. Seems kinda common sense.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:29 PM

377 posts, read 619,926 times
Quote:
"But such good looks come at a price. Although healthy and strong, these men lack the qualities that women desire in a long-term romantic partnership. "

Your citation excerpt supports my comments.
I highly recommend you read the paper I linked. It goes far more into this and essentially supports what I was stating earlier.

Quote:
There are a lot of factors with women choosing men, and looks are usually a high priority factor, but it can be offset with a LOT of other factors.
Possible, I don't know, but at least we can agree that looks are a high priority factor. Many on here refuse to admit this. Still, that means that there are going to be men (namely ugly men) who will not meet that minimum baseline in physical attraction that most women require.

Quote:
I don't see any of this being exclusive to either gender. Seems kinda common sense.
It might seem like common sense to you and others, but there are many people here who would much rather refuse to believe it and push fiction and cliches instead.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:43 PM

I probably won't read the paper, though I'm sure it has some interesting insights, but I could probably pull up a study that contradicts that study. I'm really not that motivated.

But here's why. No study has any impact on what my dating life was like, nor my decisions in husbands. Tons of factors go into both genders selecting mates, depending on what is important to them. Unattractive people, poor people, ignorant, over weight..... doesn't matter, they are hooking up, dating and marrying all the time.

I have first experience, and no study can compare to that. The studies are interesting in a general sense, but not to apply to individuals.

I've been here awhile, and seen all kinds of documentation backing up peoples assertions. Those papers can't mean they are all valid. Why? Because they contradict each other.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:30 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter921 View Post
why do women say their not about looks, and that looks dont mean much. but when you got outside and see them, their boyfriends are not ugly or even average? i dont get it, i thought they were about personality ?
This is what I see on a regular basis. I constantly see average to below average women with good looking men. Some times I see average looking with average looking. I also see good looking women with average to below average looking men. The only good looking people I see with other good looking people are those with money, highly educated and in top physical shape. I actually met a woman last week and she said she liked me due to my personality. I live in a major city and women and to a certain degree some men have no time to decode a person's personality so physical attraction is key to starting a relationship, money is not important for some people even though they in one of Americas most expensive city! Actually I was on the subway and two local women were talking about guys and one of the young women was chubby and not so much pretty in the face and she admitted that she finds this guy really a good looking and how some other guy how she did not find him good looking however he is a nice guy. To be honest I think in much more laidback enviornments personality can shine, but in areas where life is hectic and fast paced like in the North East such as NYC, or DC and Boston, where no one has time for one another but besides work, work work? Guys you better be good looking to be with local women or have money to sleep around with a yuppie chick. Or walk around with a guitar or painting utensils to attract a creative type chick.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:30 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,727,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Oh they are about personality, that is why Robin Givens married Mike Tyson, because of his personality!! Not because at the time he was heavyweight boxing champion and a multi millionaire!!!
So now Robin Givens and Givens/Tyson shenanigans of 'yon 90's represents the attractiveness level, the character and integrity of the American woman?

Personally, I want a guy I find attractive. He can be anywhere from a so-called 5 to "10" I need to sense that potential for chemistry and passion when I meet him and get to know him. Recently I was friends with a not-so-attractive guy. He knew that friendship was the only thing on the table, but in his bull-headedness he pushed for more than friendship. Now, we don't speak to one another. Seems Mr. Plain with a "heart of gold" has a violent temper and a nasty mouth. So I wish folks on this thread would go easy on the beautiful and handsome people are evil stereotypes.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Just saying it's been proposed that scent is a part of attraction. When I'm with a guy and he is sweaty, it's a sexy man smell. I like it. But if someone else smells sweaty it's not appealing to me. /shrug
Ask your men to wear NO deodorant or cologne. Then you can see what he REALLY smells like. LOL

Old 05-17-2014, 09:21 PM

255 posts, read 407,171 times
I've actually seen more beautiful women with unattractive men than the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships