Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 11:47 PM

36 posts, read 108,299 times

Advertisements

I'm 24 years old and I am a single mother. I have a 6 year old and 3 year old, they have different fathers, neither are involved at all in any way and never have been. Do you think this alone makes me undateable/not LTR material?

I feel like I'm a decent catch in other ways. I have a good education and work as a social worker, I am very ambitious and motivated and compassionate. I have my own car and condo, no help from parents or welfare or child support. I think I'm a generally nice and decent person with a good sense of humor. I get a good amount of compliments on my looks.

Several friends have told me that is why it's hard for me to date, because no man wants to have to be raising kids from 2 other men. I don't really think that is why but then again i have no clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 11:52 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
It makes you a much lower prospect for single people without children...not completely washed up

Old 06-01-2014, 12:12 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,939,384 times
No. You're not undateable.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:17 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredHope View Post
I'm 24 years old and I am a single mother. I have a 6 year old and 3 year old, they have different fathers, neither are involved at all in any way and never have been. Do you think this alone makes me undateable/not LTR material?

I feel like I'm a decent catch in other ways. I have a good education and work as a social worker, I am very ambitious and motivated and compassionate. I have my own car and condo, no help from parents or welfare or child support. I think I'm a generally nice and decent person with a good sense of humor. I get a good amount of compliments on my looks.

Several friends have told me that is why it's hard for me to date, because no man wants to have to be raising kids from 2 other men. I don't really think that is why but then again i have no clue.
No, you're not undateable.

And the trouble isn't you. The trouble is, you are still at an age where many, if not most, most of your male peers are just not interested in LTRs. Guys in their 20s are all about hooking up, FWB, stuff like that. There are exceptions, but not many. Things will probably change a lot, for the better, in another few years. You just have to wait.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:47 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,462 times
Kids (especially from multiple babydadies) puts you down a couple of steps on the prospect ladder, so you might have to adjust your standards accordingly...

It also depends a lot on what kind of mother you are, if you're going for the freakish "super-mom, I wanna spoil my kids to death 5 times over before they grow up"-type of mom, then yes that=undateable.

But since you're 24, the market is still on your side, just find the average desperate dude and you're set.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:50 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
You're def not as likely to find tons guys of your age who are desperate to take on even a semi-"father figure" role, but they do exist.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:45 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
Your kids will have to come first in your life now, which certainly will make it difficult to date, much less have a long term relationship. Hopefully you will raise your kids to have manners and treat other people with respect; if not, you can basically kiss any kind of relationship goodbye.

Any person who would want to have a relationship with you will also have to like your kids and be able to get along with them. There are men out there who dont mind a LTR with a woman with kids, but a lot of that depends on your kids. If they are sweet and adorable and mannerly, it makes it easy to like them. If they are little banshees...forget it.

Just one of many drawbacks of having kids without marriage. I know you dont want or need a lecture, but why do young women do this?

Old 06-01-2014, 08:51 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
I'm not a guy but I would be scared of having sex with you. I know that's not helpful, but you will have to convince future dates that you understand how birth control works now and that you have become a more responsible, mature and discerning person.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:53 AM

192 posts, read 205,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post

Just one of many drawbacks of having kids without marriage. I know you dont want or need a lecture, but why do young women do this?
Seconded

Old 06-01-2014, 08:55 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
24 with two kids? That will knock you out of the running for most guys in their 20s, contrary to [Mod cut.] , it is not because most guys in their 20s want easy sex (which is by no means true) but they do not want to deal with someone who has kids. Your 30s will probably be a better time to date since guys will probably be more willing to deal with kids.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-01-2014 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: Personal attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships