Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 11:18 AM

785 posts, read 954,668 times

Advertisements

Maybe I don't present myself well enough to seem approachable, despite dressing well, keeping in good shape, and being self confident.

I've been told I have a great smile but I admit looking back I don't smile that often.

Perhaps people are intimidated by me. I will get compliments every once in a while from a woman, but it's not as much as other people. For example a lot of my colleagues call me "GQ" because I dress well and I hear it from a few women, but it's not like I will get a random woman complimenting me. I've been working on dishing out more compliments myself.

It almost appears that I am 'invisible' to some. I'm not sure why. I'm a tall black male with a deep voice ha maybe I can come off intimidating but I want to determine how I can do that. Any advice appreciated guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 11:34 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,999,377 times
Don't look for compliments from random women. Mod cut.

Try setting a goal of smiling at least 5 times each day. Do the same with whatever other behaviours you might have that are 'intimidating' (being silent, standing when other people are sitting, etc.)

Is racism a factor in the 'intimidating' thing?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-18-2014 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Off topic.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:36 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
Maybe I don't present myself well enough to seem approachable, despite dressing well, keeping in good shape, and being self confident.

I've been told I have a great smile but I admit looking back I don't smile that often.

Perhaps people are intimidated by me. I will get compliments every once in a while from a woman, but it's not as much as other people. For example a lot of my colleagues call me "GQ" because I dress well and I hear it from a few women, but it's not like I will get a random woman complimenting me. I've been working on dishing out more compliments myself.

It almost appears that I am 'invisible' to some. I'm not sure why. I'm a tall black male with a deep voice ha maybe I can come off intimidating but I want to determine how I can do that. Any advice appreciated guys!

Are you following me around? I am in a similar boat, only I don't dress as well, I don't feel I'm in that good of a shape, (but I'm not really a blob either) I'm probably not as tall as you. (A lot of people are my height even though I am about 4 inches above average) I do have hair on my head hidden under a hat because I don't take the time to fix it, but when I do fix it, watch out. (meaning I become a magnet for some aggressive ladies, to clarify)

I can see that I may be intimidating. I do have kind of a "hard" expression on my face (purposefully due to the fact that people often take my kindness for weakness and as an open invite for something that I rather not be bothered with.) However, I am also told that I have the kindest eyes ever. (When I am under my hat, I don't look so kind.)

Now, I don't know how exactly you dress, but you can dress too well. People do often make assessments (unconsciously) by the clothes people wear. (whether they like to admit it or not). If you dress too neat, you can come off as "stuck up" or "uptight", especially if you are a very good looking person who doesn't smile all that much.

While it is a common belief that better looking people tend to have a greater social advantage than people who are not so well off in the looks department, good looks can actually work against a person. If you are dressed up too nicely, you might want to dress down a bit. Smile more. Also, if you always move like you are in a hurry, slow your roll a bit. Give off a relaxed vibe. Even Brad Pitt could have lost it all if he seemed like an uptight, nervous wreck.

Good looks is a nice thing to have, but if people get the impression you are afraid to get dirty (and most people see themselves as dirty on some level), then you might drive off a lot of potential lovers.

Whenever you can, observe people who are successful with the opposite sex and pay attention to how they carry themselves. They do vary in behaviors, but there is something common in all of them.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:37 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Smile more, laugh more, and don't take yourself too seriously while GQ'd out.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post

Is racism a factor in the 'intimidating' thing?
Not necessarily. Body language is a much bigger factor.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Smile more, laugh more, and don't take yourself too seriously while GQ'd out.
Yeah, the more GQ'd you are, the less seriously you should take yourself if you want people to give you attention.

But don't get too GQ'd out.

Also, mind the context. It is okay to dress a little bit better than others, but if you stick out like a sore thumb, then it might backfire. Sometimes, dressing well will backfire on you.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:57 AM

785 posts, read 954,668 times
I probably come off as a bit serious or a tight ass thinking about it lol. Also I try to tone it down a bit. A woman I see every once in a while who I find is gorgeous says from me from time to time "You look nice today" but for some reason she's always smiled when she's seen me but we haven't talked as much.

I don't think racism is a factor, but I'm one of the few blacks in my department or role and maybe I don't do things to appear less intimidating to people. Perhaps smiling is important.

Interesting point about the compliments thing. I will try to smile more and compliment more. Taking myself less seriously, which I know I DO take myself seriously a lot, is something noteworthy also.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post

OMG a tall black man with a great smile and GQ style? I'd be totally swooning!

I say smile more. And try smiling and say hi at the same time. I would totally say "hi" back, and that could lead to the next step of a conversation.

I don't dish out many compliments to men, unless the situation warrants it. Definitely when strolling by on the street. It just doesn't feel like a good plan, even if I am thinking about it. But a smile and a simple greeting? That's a no pressure situation.

Try it!

I agree with the tip of talking to 5 people a day as well. Try it inline for coffee/groceries or whatever.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:06 PM

675 posts, read 544,429 times
dude, your a guy. unless you are some model or celeb girls will not be approaching you. that is the man's job.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:09 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,996 times
The problem isn't your looks. The problem is that women don't approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships