Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 06:20 PM

167 posts, read 377,956 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated with a Bachelor's and moved to New Jersey (the central part of the state)since I got a job offer at a non-profit organization. So far, I've had pleasant experiences with my colleagues and like them a lot. However, they are all older than me and run in different social circles so hanging out with them on a regular basis may be difficult.

Since I recently just moved to a new state (I was in the Mid-West prior), I'm not sure how to make friends or where to find them. Also, I'm hoping to start dating again so I'm not sure how to go about doing that. One of my close friends is moving here for graduate school so I can hang out with her in September but I also would like to make new friends.

It was a lot easier in college to meet people and date since I was surrounded by people my age and some of whom had similar interests. I've been told I'm fairly like-able so my personality is definitely not an obstacle in making a good connection with people. It's just that I'm new to the area and don't know anyone.

Where is the best place to meet new people and perhaps scope them out to see if we could become friends?

How about for dating?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 12:33 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
you make friends the same way you always do, start up a conversation and get to know the person. same with dating. go out and let yourself meet people. as for the people you work with, so what if they are older than you? always start with those around you regardless of their age compared to yours, unless they are under age, then you might have issues. but dont be afraid to hang around the older people as you never know who they hang around with. you might just meet the person of your dreams at a party they throw.

if you cut off opportunities, you are limiting yourself.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:38 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you make friends the same way you always do, start up a conversation and get to know the person. same with dating. go out and let yourself meet people. as for the people you work with, so what if they are older than you? always start with those around you regardless of their age compared to yours, unless they are under age, then you might have issues. but dont be afraid to hang around the older people as you never know who they hang around with. you might just meet the person of your dreams at a party they throw.

Some times it not that easy like wear i live .

It's not that people here are unfriendly, they will hold the door for you and wave you into traffic and stuff like that, it's that everything is maddeningly impersonal. The attitude is "have a nice day, somewhere else". It's easy to get along but making friends is almost impossible. People will say they want to hang out with you sometime and look at you like a freak when you actually suggest something. People enthusiastically say they are coming to a party then don't show up. People are flaky and hard to pin down. Girls lead you on for weeks and snub you with no explanation. People are insincere. Norms of social interaction don't apply here. Most people don't like or dislike you, they're totally indifferent. Every interaction will be maddeningly superficial.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
Some times it not that easy like wear i live .

It's not that people here are unfriendly, they will hold the door for you and wave you into traffic and stuff like that, it's that everything is maddeningly impersonal. The attitude is "have a nice day, somewhere else". It's easy to get along but making friends is almost impossible. People will say they want to hang out with you sometime and look at you like a freak when you actually suggest something. People enthusiastically say they are coming to a party then don't show up. People are flaky and hard to pin down. Girls lead you on for weeks and snub you with no explanation. People are insincere. Norms of social interaction don't apply here. Most people don't like or dislike you, they're totally indifferent. Every interaction will be maddeningly superficial.
well i dont know where you live, but i have been around this country a fair bit, and people tend to be the same everywhere. it doesnt matter if you are in south central LA, phoenix arizona, washington dc, luray virginia, jackson wyoming, or where ever. if you are not pushy, in the early stages, and you are laid back, generally its easy making friends. in fact i think the only person that has an easier time making friends than i do, is my cousin in louisiana. it seems he has friends everywhere.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:36 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

The age part is very true! You never know who you meet may have a son/daughter/grandchild/niece/nephew/neighbour that they might think you're suited for.

That's how I met my (almost) husband. When I found myself suddenly single after a 13 year marriage, I had friends with cousins, neigbhours with co-workers, customers with buddies, that all knew someone they thought I'd be a match for. I'm marrying the cousin of a friend.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:26 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,599,026 times
OP, consider Meetup.com. Join a group or two that has interests you share.

Also, take rbohm's advice. Dating and friendship opportunities are almost everywhere; people at work may know other people around your age that you might connect with.

That said, it's a good idea to make a friend or two that have NO connections to your job or your professional colleagues.

You don't seem like an antisocial person, so it's highly likely you'll naturally make some new friends within the first few months and encounter multiple dating opportunities within the first six months to a year. Just get out there and interact, and opportunities will present themselves.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:53 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Explore your new community and the opportunities for socializing that are there. Hobby groups, sports orgs, volunteer opp'ties, etc. This is standard procedure for people who relocate into new towns. Attend events, concerts, etc., and be friendly with people around you. And once your friend moves out there, you should have opportunities to meeting women through her and her friends.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Explore your new community and the opportunities for socializing that are there. Hobby groups, sports orgs, volunteer opp'ties, etc. This is standard procedure for people who relocate into new towns. Attend events, concerts, etc., and be friendly with people around you. And once your friend moves out there, you should have opportunities to meeting women through her and her friends.
all this and church groups as well, if you are into that sort of thing. and even if you are not, it can still be good to at least attend a few events put on by the church. and dont forget that you can enroll at the local community college and take a few night courses to continue your education, and hang out at the library to meet other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships