Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:55 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,811 times

Advertisements

I don't know OntheRoad...we can only read so much into posts and posters sometimes...I try to think of everyone having good intentions when posting to CD but you just never know.

We all don't want to judge when speaking our minds and maybe that's why more shy people are forthcoming on internet forums...who knows. I am not shy and pretty open about things. I don't mind revealing some of myself on this forum...some might not feel that way...who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 11:56 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRT
The thing about the internet is that people seem to loosen up and say things they might not normally say.
I've found that posting has actually improved my interactions in the meat world. I feel way more comfortable discussing a topic IRL if I've already hashed it out online (with or against some pretty smart people).

Old 12-18-2007, 12:00 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
I agree. And, I am rather extroverted in some ways, but not necessarily one to share my personal life IRL or on the internet--no particular reason, just find some issues are best explored internally. But, I do ask a great number of questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyhossenlopp View Post
I don't know OntheRoad...we can only read so much into posts and posters sometimes...I try to think of everyone having good intentions when posting to CD but you just never know.

We all don't want to judge when speaking our minds and maybe that's why more shy people are forthcoming on internet forums...who knows. I am not shy and pretty open about things. I don't mind revealing some of myself on this forum...some might not feel that way...who knows.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:11 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Sense of humor is a big one for me too, that I can read laugh-out-loud funny posts on a forum, and then I feel myself responding to that person with a lot of warmth.

What puzzles me is how an inquisitive question in one thread can be just fine, but in another thread can be met with a lot of hostility from people and being told I have an agenda.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:27 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
I met my boyfriend on a message board. It was about six months before we even pm'd each other, but as it was a very tiny board, we would reply to each other's posts. Then we chatted on aim for another six months before meeting and taking a month long road trip to meet other message board people. I feel that we both were in real life, the same as our internet personas. I speak just as frankly in person as I do through my keyboard. But maybe it's because I am 49 and have no interest in creating an artificial internet persona. In real life, I can't even speak pidgin English.

I have met a few internet friends that were different in person. People that seemed shyer in real life.

Otherwise, if someone is posting and seeming to be a person who lacks commonsense in real life, I don't have very much respect for their posts or them. And in real life, people who waste my time, don't stay my friend and quickly get demoted to a mere passing acquaintance. And I do help out the less fortunate all of the time, but I have higher standards when it comes to gets to be a close friend.

Only so many can fit into my lifeboat of close friends, the rest get tossed life preservers. It's a lesson I learned while taking the Red Cross junior lifesaving course. Don't let yourself be dragged under by someone flailing their arms needing help.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:43 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
I'd rather engage with a straight-shooter than a side-door conversationalist. It's easy, smoother and usually goes better for me and generally for the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I met my boyfriend on a message board. It was about six months before we even pm'd each other, but as it was a very tiny board, we would reply to each other's posts. Then we chatted on aim for another six months before meeting and taking a month long road trip to meet other message board people. I feel that we both were in real life, the same as our internet personas. I speak just as frankly in person as I do through my keyboard. But maybe it's because I am 49 and have no interest in creating an artificial internet persona. In real life, I can't even speak pidgin English.

I have met a few internet friends that were different in person. People that seemed shyer in real life.

Otherwise, if someone is posting and seeming to be a person who lacks commonsense in real life, I don't have very much respect for their posts or them. And in real life, people who waste my time, don't stay my friend and quickly get demoted to a mere passing acquaintance. And I do help out the less fortunate all of the time, but I have higher standards when it comes to gets to be a close friend.

Only so many can fit into my lifeboat of close friends, the rest get tossed life preservers. It's a lesson I learned while taking the Red Cross junior lifesaving course. Don't let yourself be dragged under by someone flailing their arms needing help.
Humour should be an ingredient in all relationships--it has saved my life relationships on more occasions than I can enumerate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondD View Post
Sense of humor is a big one for me too, that I can read laugh-out-loud funny posts on a forum, and then I feel myself responding to that person with a lot of warmth.

What puzzles me is how an inquisitive question in one thread can be just fine, but in another thread can be met with a lot of hostility from people and being told I have an agenda.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:36 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I'd rather engage with a straight-shooter than a side-door conversationalist. It's easy, smoother and usually goes better for me and generally for the other.
On message boards, my posts are too wordy as it is. So being a straight shooter and coming to the point quickly is a must for me. lol

Old 12-18-2007, 02:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
This is an online forum and it only represents a portion of reality.

It is not the entire piece of pie.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:58 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Sense of humor and being funny is awesome. It really does me a lot of good to laugh about myself and life's stressful situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Humour should be an ingredient in all relationships--it has saved my life relationships on more occasions than I can enumerate.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:09 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,830,347 times
What a great thread idea.
I am new to the CD forum and actually all forums. I am playing catch up with some of the terminology and the best way to express my point of view. I do think that intentions can be misconstrued when typing vs. talking and was actually made fun of for stating so. I was also labeled a "troll" for defending myself against a couple sarcastic remarks, one of which was removed. Needless to say I do not post in that forum anymore unless there is a specific thread question regarding the area I live in.
I have since learned to just give reps in lieu of posts and have found other areas of CD where folks are more accepting of differing opinions. IMHO most here are friendly and I make a point not to judge anyone as I was. That being said, I have read numerous posts by some and know there are those who MUST have the last word and really don't want to see another side to the argument. I imagine them to be the same IRL and therefore would not want to meet them. After all, I can just call my MIL if I want that kind of frustrating conversation.
I have found some members with common interests and I look forward to reading their posts and have become somewhat addicted to the forum in general. It is clear that many here have a gift of being able to express themselves very well with humor, beautiful poems, etc. and my guess is they are the same IRL. I do not have that gift, I know what I want to say, but it usually doesn't come out as well as I would like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships