Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Intellectual relationship without the physical component?
Yes 20 23.53%
Maybe 10 11.76%
Hell no! 55 64.71%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:57 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I'm glad the no was not just no but Hell no! because that is how I would express it.
^That
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 08:28 AM

251 posts, read 299,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
If you met an attractive and intelligent man/woman, you were very attracted to their personality and intelligence, but they are extremely conservative - will not do anything physical with you, they will not even kiss you or hold your hand in public until marriage... yes or no way?!
I can go without sex since there's an alternative. I don't care about holding hands, but no kissing?, no. Who knows how long until marriage.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:24 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Why in God's name would I do anything like that?
I would do it in God's name.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:32 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,602,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I could. I mean, I would miss making out, but I can wait for it. How long does this LTR have to be until we get married?
The concern I'd have is - how do I know what to expect? She might have been a total vixen holding back all those years, or, it might have just been a ruse to cover the fact that she has no desire for sex and won't after marriage, either...just too many unknowns. They can TELL you they have desires, but that doesn't mean jack squat.

I almost married a girl like that. We did have sex, but she was so stiff, so non-sexual, everything was "gross" to her...she didn't even like kissing. Glad I dodged that bullet.

Then I met my wife.

<---------that's me now

Old 07-14-2014, 09:40 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
That's all fine and good for a friendship... but romantic interest. No way!

Old 07-14-2014, 10:55 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
It would be like not trying on some new clothes to see how they look before you buy them. At least you could take them back if you don't like them. If you're not compatible physically and you find out after you're married then it's been one big expensive mistake. Physical intimacy is a huge quality of life issue for me and could be a deal breaker. It was with one boyfriend I had. He just didn't measure up, on so many levels. I couldn't spend the rest of my life feeling unfulfilled.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:06 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
If you met an attractive and intelligent man/woman, you were very attracted to their personality and intelligence, but they are extremely conservative - will not do anything physical with you, they will not even kiss you or hold your hand in public until marriage... yes or no way?!
I can put up with no sex, but not for the listed reasons. I frequently deal with out sex. However, its not because of moral or religious reasons. In our case, its called being understanding. But its hardly voluntary or desirable for either of us. Its just the way it is sometimes.

Our relationship is not totally based or majority based, on sex anymore. Yes, it is still important, but its a delicate matter that takes self control, understanding, and a whole lot of deep deep love. Its worth it. I signed on for the fight, and I'll stick it out all the way. Granted, this is a LOT different than the reasons cited , but its still qualifies as in the same category based just on physical reasons.

Addressing the reasons of waiting until marriage, that is a matter of personal choice, and I respect the rationale behind people who think this way. I have known couples like that, however, none of them are still married. The longest lasted 16 years. Amongst these couples was a common denominator other than no sex other than the marriage bed as well. That was sexual incompatibility. To many preconceived ideas about sex impeded sexual growth. This was a larger issue with the women as well. They never could shake the stigma about sex being an....embarrassing... issue, and looked at it as a duty, not a pleasure.

This happens a lot with strict religious dogma. That ruins sex. Takes all the fun right out of it when one or the other partner has hangups and guilt feelings about the playground of marriage we call sex. Its quite sad actually, that such things hamper people. It causes no end of problems, from lack of communication to just flat driving couples apart from shear frustration.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:09 PM

288 posts, read 255,657 times
No. Very simple. Might as well continue to be single,

Old 07-14-2014, 05:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
That seems excessively conservative. I have 30-something friends who waited till marriage to have sex. But they making out, hugging and hand holding were OK. They just stopped at making out. Till they got married of course. They were tempted, particularly in the last couple weeks leading up to the wedding, which gave them full-time leaving together after a pond-distance relationship and courtship. But they held out.

Physical intimacy is important. Avoiding sex till marriage? Maybe. Avoiding all touching until then, no way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janesea View Post
An LTR without sex until marriage...possibly. But no hand holding or even kissing? Nope. We may as well just be friends then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I know I need touch.
Agree with you guys and the minx. The other physical contact is really important.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:10 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times
Yes, I'm asexual, so there would be no sex... period even after marriage. Hence why I don't date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships